DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Black Magic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/513458-black-magic-cinema-camera.html)

John Richard January 13th, 2013 10:00 AM

Black Magic Cinema Camera

Chris: Now that the BMCC is shipping in limited quantities (we rec'ed ours 1/11/13) would it be time to start a place herein for these unique cameras?

Finn Yarbrough January 23rd, 2013 07:10 PM

Re: Black Magic Cinema Camera

I think so, too... I received mine last week and did a quick and difficult stress-test of ProRes on the BMC.

Lee Mullen January 23rd, 2013 07:27 PM

Nothing moving yet in Indonesia or Australia.

Warren Kawamoto January 23rd, 2013 07:43 PM

Finn, I noticed a huge amount of flare when you're shooting the windows in the background. Was this due somehow to the cold? A fogged up lens, perhaps? Or was this the camera itself?

Mark Kenfield January 23rd, 2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough (Post 1774914)
I think so, too... I received mine last week and did a quick and difficult stress-test of ProRes on the BMC.

Brothers (an early BMC adversity test) on Vimeo

That's fantastic Finn, I felt filthy and covered in muck just watching it! Certainly captured the mood!

Wacharapong Chiowanich January 23rd, 2013 08:38 PM

It looks to me like the lens got fogged up towards the end of the clip, especially the last shot, but overall the IQ is a class above the output from any DSLR near this price.

Chris Hurd January 23rd, 2013 10:20 PM

It's already being done on BMD's own official forum, but if you guys really want one here, we can certainly make it happen...

Shaun Roemich January 23rd, 2013 11:40 PM

Chris: the BMD forum has a very different flavour than DVInfo... some closet hostility there that I don't think would fly here... I've reported a couple of threads already with nothing being done... I for one would prefer to stay here and I only migrate there due to the sheer number of BMD issues I'm having...

Chris Barcellos January 24th, 2013 02:05 AM

Some time back, Chris, you indicated one would be opened once the camera is shipping. A lot of us that are on waiting lists still would like one opened so we can follow issues with those that are in possession of the camera already. Why would we go anywhere but here to get our information.

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 24th, 2013 03:36 AM

I would like to see a specific BMCC forum here on DVInfo, too.

Brian David Melnyk January 24th, 2013 05:39 AM

i don't have one, didn't order one and probably won't, but i would also really like to see a BMCC forum! i want to follow this camera, and if it comes out with a bigger sensor and solves some other issues, i would love to jump on board...

Finn Yarbrough January 24th, 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1774920)
Finn, I noticed a huge amount of flare when you're shooting the windows in the background. Was this due somehow to the cold? A fogged up lens, perhaps? Or was this the camera itself?

Yes, you are spot-on! It was -5˚F (-20˚C) outside, and inside, with all those breathing cows, it was quite moist. So I was battling condensation the whole time. You will see the effects in several of the shots, not just the back-lit ones.

Also, I am sorry that the video seems to be down at the moment... I'm not sure why. EDIT: It's fixed now.

Mark Williams January 24th, 2013 05:22 PM

Found this new BMCC video on Vimeo. I thought it was pretty impressive. He used the following lenses:
Sigma 8-16mm
Canon 24-70mm
Canon 70-200 IS II

Jon Fairhurst January 25th, 2013 02:01 PM

Nice video. Really shows the advantage of shooting RAW and that for landscapes a small sensor and deep focus are a great match.

The use of a fast shutter speed was interesting. It looked great on some shots by keeping things crisp. It wasn't so great on the camera moves as they looked a bit juddery. But that's up to the shooter, not an issue with the camera.

Noa Put January 25th, 2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Williams (Post 1775094)
Found this new BMCC video on Vimeo. I thought it was pretty impressive.

He has some more beautiful videos on his vimeo account and it looks like he surely knows his way around color correcting. I"m also sure it's not a matter of just buying the camera, shoot in raw, do cc and expect to have the same results he has. There is some more bmc videos online that don't even look half as good meaning not everyone is capable to get the most from that camera. The magic seems to happen mostly in post and that seems to require experience. Eventhough his video's look colorwise amazing they are a bit over the top for me sometimes, some colors are so strong it doesn't look natural anymore but it shows how far you can push the color.