Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old January 27th, 2020, 12:34 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Big ursa magenta screen of death

A postscript to the broken camera saga.

I managed to find on eBay, another broken Ursa, an EF-Mount. This camera's etiology was incremental demise via power management. There was a strong chance the camera head was good and it turned out to be so.

The filter placement and collimation of the EF-Mount turret to the sensor was different so I ended up moving the entire sensor and PCBs across to the PL-Mount turret. I bench tested everything and it seemed fine.

In removing the supercapacitor from the motherboard, a solder pad came off the PCB. The layers on these boards are exceptionally thin. However it seems to function quite happily without it.

It seems maybe that the supercapacitor serves as a memory battery. I did not observe previously but it seems that when the camera is powered down, any time-date settings revert to the camera's birthday and playback clip order shifts in accordance with just when individual clips were started during power-on periods.

The SI2K also does this when the memory batteries go flat. Whether there is a conflict between files if one initiates during the same time period written to another file I have yet to discover. I may have to reset times and dates during each power cycle before rolling.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 01:39 AM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

Interesting to hear!

So, an otherwise usable camera once again?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 12:13 PM   #18
Inner Circle

It is usable again for now. Even its own power management glitch seems to have gone away.

It went through a period where it would not power-on from a battery unless it was "jump-started" from the 4pin XLR power input first, then for the remainder of the day it would run fine off the battery.

I wonder if the sensor/sensor PCBs in the failed turret may have been drawing too much power on its way to failure.

Whichever, I am going to accept what comes gratefully, hopefully for some time yet.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2020, 10:06 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The patched up "big" URSA still lives.

You get to see and do some fun things with a camera sometimes. This was filming a smoke generator test for a friend and co-writer of a film script..

He has all the necessary permissions and skillset for this display.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 11th, 2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera