BMPCC 6K review after a few months... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera

BlackMagic Cinema Camera
EF & MFT lens mount / 2.5K CinemaDNG RAW

Old March 26th, 2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: BMPCC 6K review after a few months...

Hold on, this is from the description on B&H:

Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization

Helping to achieve the utmost sharpness when photographing handheld, Dual I.S. 2 combines the S1's 5.5 stop-rated 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization technology with lens-based 2-axis image stabilization to compensate for a broader range of movement types to render sharper, clearer imagery. Dual I.S. 2 requires the use of compatible Lumix lenses featuring O.I.S. This stabilization system is able to compensate for approximately 6 stops of camera shake.

If true then the "canon adapter passing .... stabilization" does not do anything at all.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:52 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
What makes you so sure the S1H even needs RAW?
Huh? Many professionals prefer to have a raw workflow.

I know you seem to be very involved with the Panasonic S1(H) lately.
Let me ask you this fair question in the name of full disclosure: did you get paid for reviewing or promoting the S1(H) by Panasonic?

Last edited by Cary Knoop; March 26th, 2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old March 27th, 2020, 05:58 AM   #18
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Hold on, this is from the description on B&H:
I don't care what the B&H website says. I can see and hear stabilization working with my Canon 200-400 and MC-21 adapter. But go ahead and think whatever you want.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:03 AM   #19
Vortex Media

Quote:
Huh? Many professionals prefer to have a raw workflow.
There's a flaw in your thinking. Just because "many professionals prefer" RAW does not mean that actually provides superior images or other tangible benefits over 10-bit video once the images are graded and ready for delivery in post. If you disagree, then please post the results of your side by side testing. I'm waiting.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:09 AM   #20
Vortex Media

Quote:
I know you seem to be very involved with the Panasonic S1(H) lately.
Let me ask you this fair question in the name of full disclosure: did you get paid for reviewing or promoting the S1(H) by Panasonic?
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have no connections with Panasonic whatsoever. The only person I even remotely know at Panasonic is Mitch Gross and I have not spoken to him since he left Convergent Design and went to Panasonic a couple of years ago. In fact, I'm sure he views the S1H as a competitor to his line of cinema cameras and would not offer any assistance even it I asked. I bought my S1H and lenses at B&H and paid full price. And it was well worth it. As far as I know, Panasonic is not even aware of my videos. My enthusiasm for the S1H comes completely from my own experience with it. In fact, I was already booked to work for Sony at NAB before I even bought by S1H. That is how impartial I am. Nobody has ever influenced my opinions or told me what to say. I'm sure you are disappointed to learn the truth.
Old March 27th, 2020, 06:22 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I can't answer all your questions as some of the functions you enquire about I don't use and my Pocket 4K is not with me to check. And I don't yet own a 6K Pocket.
Steve, thanks for answering my questions and providing detailed information.
Old March 27th, 2020, 09:45 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
There's a flaw in your thinking.
Quote:
I'm sure you are disappointed to learn the truth.
Real nice!
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:16 AM   #23
Vortex Media

Almost as nice as your implied accusation by even asking the question in the first place.
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:22 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Almost as nice as your implied accusation by even asking the question in the first place.
I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking if someone is sponsored.

Product sponsorship is common, many people review products and either receive the product for free or get paid for it.
Old March 27th, 2020, 11:47 AM   #25
Vortex Media

If I was sponsored by Panasonic I would have said so because it would be unethical for me not to do so. The fact that you felt the need to even ask the question implies you think I am not being ethical and honest in my posts about the S1H. As you say, real nice!
Old May 26th, 2020, 06:27 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,
Always have been a fan of yours since you wrote the book for the EX1r, which I still have and use, mostly for live events, remember those, by the way.

Just curious about the Panasonic camera, since you have reviewed a lot of cameras; is this really taking the place of a true video camera? You’ve always been someone who has said that you really didn't want to shoot with anything but a true video camera and I was curious as to your feelings these days about that? You have also said that you like the Sony Z280 a lot, which was something I’ve been I’ve been considering for a while now. Since I have a bit of time on my hands, I thought I would explore other cameras and this certainly seems to be an interesting one as well .....as are the Blackmagic cameras especially the pocket cameras for their image and their low cost. One of the items I keep running up against is the issue of lenses (not for the z280, of course). I have a large investment in Sony e-mount lenses as well as a couple of MFT Panasonic lenses and then I have a bunch of old Nikons which I still use with the two other cameras I shoot with, the Sony FS5 and then my AF100 which I still use for certain kinds of events that have controlled lighting.
Old May 26th, 2020, 07:44 AM   #27
Vortex Media

Hi Jeremy, the S1H and Z280 are both excellent video cameras, but totally different cameras that have their own strengths and weaknesses. Just as a Ferrari and a Land Rover are excellent, but different.

Both cameras have excellent picture quality, great viewfinders, TC in/out, high-bitrate 10-bit 4K codecs, etc.

If I had to choose only one of them it would be the Z280 because it is faster, easier, and more versatile for the kind of work I do. The S1H is all about shallow DoF, low profile, portability, etc. If someone else said the S1H met their needs better than the Z280, I'd have no argument with that. Both are good, but different.

You have to evaluate at YOUR own needs. Don't buy a sports car if an SUV would better meet your needs, or vice versa.

I hope that helps.
Old May 26th, 2020, 09:00 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Like Doug said get a camera that is suited to your work don’t get something because it’s a good deal. Despite the appeal of Black Magic low price and cinema look, you need the type of jobs that fit that work flow. Sometimes people need to rent a camera to fully appreciate it’s usability and limitations. If you want it as a hobby camera that’s fine too.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 06:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by Jeremy Cole; May 27th, 2020 at 10:11 AM.
Jeremy Cole is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > BlackMagic Cinema Camera