DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   BlackMagic Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/)
-   -   Bmpcc workflow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blackmagic-cinema-camera/538512-bmpcc-workflow.html)

James Cairns February 6th, 2022 10:03 PM

Bmpcc workflow

Hi I have two pocket cameras. 4k and 6k pro

I have a shoot (music show) very small setting and I’d be using

BMPCC 6K Pro Xeen Rokinon 24mm on sticks
BMPCC 4K Xeen Rokinon 35mm or 50mm on a RSC2

I’m new to the workflow, my dilemma is my aging 2013 MacBook Pro

I want to shoot BRAW and match the two cameras in 4K DCI ?

But the Mac can’t handle BRAW either in FCPX or Davinci.

I am lost on how to shoot in BRAW but edit in a lesser format (proxy) I believe. That and matching the two cameras as best I can.

I know I’m asking multiple things, I’m hoping someone can say some results based on their experience mine is limited.

My last personal camera was a Sony HVR Z7U (miss that camera) since moving to the states I’ve relied on others doing what I did and I got lost in the workflow.

Multitude of reasons….

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Doug Jensen February 7th, 2022 07:44 AM

Re: Bmpcc workflow

James, it's time to get a better computer.

James Cairns February 7th, 2022 03:46 PM

Hi Doug, I know currently I can’t I was due to get a new computer. But will have to delay for now. I still have your training DVD for my Z7 in Scotland and spoke with you a few times. Thanks for your reply.

I am looking at the two cameras now and may just record in 1080p as computer can handle that easily. I was thinking you could shoot in 4k and 6K BRAW and in edit use a lesser quality. Something I’ve never done and with this workflow so new to me, not my Sony Z7 and Clipwrap now.

Thanks for your reply Doug

Pete Cofrancesco February 9th, 2022 04:15 PM

Mac M1 mini and laptop are pretty cheap. Around $500 if you can live with a 500gb internal hard drive. Just saying...

Doug Jensen February 9th, 2022 05:01 PM

Media should always be stored on external drives (the faster the better), so the size of the internal drive doesn't really matter. Mac Mini sounds like it might be a good suggestion.
Time is money. I still say the answer is to get a new computer.

James Cairns February 10th, 2022 12:49 PM

Yes I saw the Mac Mini, money will be tight till for some time, why I thought if you record the BRAW. On both cameras you can edit in less quality. But will just record in 1080p as I know my computer can do that.

James Cairns February 10th, 2022 12:50 PM

Hi Doug the media is not the issue, it’s an aging laptop and lack of funds for new one. I have since day one used Scratch Disks I have a 1TB SSD.

James Cairns February 10th, 2022 12:53 PM

The reason I was trying to use what I have other than lack of funds, my Wife may take anything in my divorce as she’s not playing nice, after 4 months of being homeless on my very tight budget.

Mac Mini could help for now I feel, but other purchases for my apartment. I know I need a computer and had a great one lined up but then. My Wife kicks me out moved her boyfriend in.

Pete Cofrancesco February 10th, 2022 01:00 PM

Sometimes life gets in the way of video. ;-)

I only know about FCPX that you can create proxy files and reduce the quality of the playback. All of this can only do so much and you'll need a lot of hard drive space. I assume you've tried this since it's pretty straight forward. Even if you can get it to work the time, effort and viewing experience might be terrible. If you're editing interviews and it's the content is most important it might be ok otherwise...