DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Archiving on Blu-Ray (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/110508-archiving-blu-ray.html)

Warren Gentry December 18th, 2007 08:30 AM

Archiving on Blu-Ray

Just wanted to mention my XDCAM disc archival technique. I recently purchased a Blu-Ray burner from Fastmac for around $600. I initially bought it to master on Blu-Ray for a client. Soon I discovered how easy it is to open a recorded XDCAM disc, drag all the contents into Toast 8 and burn an exact copy on a Blu-ray 25GB recordable BD-R for about $10-12 dollars. I discard the jewel case and store the Blu-Ray in a sleeve in a CD storage book, cutting down on a little bit of the clutter in my studio. After, checking the new disc in XDCAM transfer, I then erase the XDCAM disc and re-label for another shoot.

Warren Gentry

Uli Mors December 19th, 2007 03:25 AM

How long does the whole 23gb writing take?

(with / without verify)

THanks

ULi

Warren Gentry December 19th, 2007 08:47 AM

It takes about 40 to 45 minutes to write. For some reason it gives me an error message when it begins to verify, but I spot check each disc in XDCAM transfer.

Chris Hull December 19th, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Gentry (Post 794630)
Just wanted to mention my XDCAM disc archival technique. I recently purchased a Blu-Ray burner from Fastmac for around $600. I initially bought it to master on Blu-Ray for a client. Soon I discovered how easy it is to open a recorded XDCAM disc, drag all the contents into Toast 8 and burn an exact copy on a Blu-ray 25GB recordable BD-R for about $10-12 dollars. I discard the jewel case and store the Blu-Ray in a sleeve in a CD storage book, cutting down on a little bit of the clutter in my studio. After, checking the new disc in XDCAM transfer, I then erase the XDCAM disc and re-label for another shoot.

Warren Gentry

would your method work with hdv as well and secondly do your discs play on standalone players ok unlike sony vaio burnt discs that only seem to like pc ps3 for playback at present.

Uli Mors December 20th, 2007 03:46 AM

Chris, Warren copies the whole XDCAM Pro Disk structure to BlueRay, so I cant imagine any standalone Player to play these disks. Its for backup reasons, not for playing...

Warren, is that right?

Warren Gentry December 22nd, 2007 10:10 PM

Thats correct Uli, maybe Chris was referring to the mastering I do for my clients on Blu-ray. At first I had a problem getting them to play on stand alone players, but recently manufactures like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have come out with updated models and I haven't had a problem. I tested several players at Circuit City the other day and the pictured looked great on all the HD sets in the store.

Warren Shultz December 23rd, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Gentry (Post 797171)
Thats correct Uli, maybe Chris was referring to the mastering I do for my clients on Blu-ray. At first I had a problem getting them to play on stand alone players, but recently manufactures like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have come out with updated models and I haven't had a problem. I tested several players at Circuit City the other day and the pictured looked great on all the HD sets in the store.

Which begs the question: what authoring software are you using for masters?

Chris Hull December 23rd, 2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Shultz (Post 797196)
Which begs the question: what authoring software are you using for masters?

warren what i do is edit my hdv material and store the edited material on hdv tapes but as an easy way of playback i capture two tapes per 25gb bd disc with my sony vaio laptop [click to dvd bd]split the films and menu them then burn the disc,brning is a slow nearly five hour job with the laptop.i do not know if the bd discs would play on the new type standalone plyers you mention.they look lovely on the ps3 at least.sorry i should have put this to both warrens.thanks chris

Mark Silva December 24th, 2007 12:43 PM

Which Software?

Warren Gentry December 28th, 2007 11:05 PM

I am using Adobe Encore on the Mac to author Blu-Ray DVDs.