DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   XH-A1 Camera and Burning To Blu-Ray (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/111598-xh-a1-camera-burning-blu-ray.html)

Spiro Kalogeropoulos January 10th, 2008 01:42 PM

Standard Def

Tom,

So, if we go towards Standard Def DVDs, since that is where most of the consumer purchases remain, is the only real benefit to using the XH-A1 that I'm getting a camera that will shoot in 16:9 widescreen format (so that the image fills up most peoples newer wide-screen TVs)? I’m sure the camera has loads of additional features on it, and has stunning picture, but it seems as if the 1080 capability is a bit limited when looking at real world consumer use.

Or, am I getting this wrong? IS it possible to put higher resolution than standard Res 480 on a standard DVD for distribution purposes? Can we put a 1080i quality video on the DVD (in order to take full advantage of the XH-A1s capabilities) and have it play through the DVD players that can up-convert to that resolution (in order to play on High Def widescreen TVs)? Or will we just be burning in Standar Def and the image will be stretched on widescreen TVs? I think you may have already answered this, so I hope I’m not re-treading old ground here.

Tom Roper January 11th, 2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiro Kalogeropoulos (Post 806317)
Or will we just be burning in Standar Def and the image will be stretched on widescreen TVs? I think you may have already answered this, so I hope I’m not re-treading old ground here.

Unfortunately, it will just be burning a standard definition image for a widescreen TV, although it will not appear stretched because the aspect ratio will be correct.

Distributing a true, 1080 disk is a proposition of creating disks on separate formats, one to target the Blu-Ray machines, and one to target the Toshiba HD DVD (tm) machines. And nothing is wrong with that approach unless you are doing it for profit and ignoring the larger 97% market for standard definition 480 DVDs, some of them being played back upsampled to 1080i for playback on widescreen TVs using upconverting std definition dvd players masquerading as real HD.

But 480p is such a shame from this cam. Shoot in 1080, it's not your fault that not everyone can enjoy it.

It is possible to burn 1080 collaborations on inexpensive, regular ole dvd media that plays in true 1080 hi definition on blu-ray and HD DVD (tm) players, but only if you target the format. There is no universal format, and 480 dvd upscaled by std def dvd players that call themselves hi def, or even "HD-DVD" is not the same. Note the use of the hyphen. The Toshiba true hi definition player 1080 player is called "HD DVD" no hyphen. The distinction is important.

Jonathan MacDonald January 15th, 2009 03:10 PM

One year further down the line, do the same views still exist regarding Blu-ray and compatibility issues?