DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Blu-ray to DVD in Vegas 8.0 (Noob) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/112962-blu-ray-dvd-vegas-8-0-noob.html)

Ray Bell January 23rd, 2008 07:02 AM

Blu-ray to DVD in Vegas 8.0 (Noob)

In the release notes I noticed that in Vegas 8 you can take blu-ray video and write it to a standard DVD....

First, is there a tutorial around describing this??

Second, will the disk play or a standard DVD player or will I need a Blu-ray player like PS3... my guess is a blu-ray player, and the main advantage would be cost of the media as long as I use this function for shorter projects...

Edward Troxel January 23rd, 2008 08:24 AM

Vegas 8 can burn bluray straight from the timeline. If you put in a standard DVD AND the content is small enough, you can burn the bluray content onto a standard DVD. You will need a bluray player to play back that DVD.

Paul Kellett January 23rd, 2008 08:51 AM

I just tried doing that,i put small amount of footage(15 secs) on timeline,selected tools>disc>blueray disc.It rendered then said vegas temp files couldn't be opened.Any advice ? Has anyone actually burned a blueray/standard dvd ?
Paul.

Yi Fong Yu January 23rd, 2008 08:58 AM

CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD DVD are physical specifications that can be ready by playback hardware that are designed to read those 'format' specifications. that's just purely hardware ONLY.

in terms of software specifications, that's where things differ. consider this, you can burn:
- SD DVD movies onto CD, Blu-Ray, HD DVD discs.
- Blu-Ray movies onto DVD, CD, HD DVD discs.
- HD DVD movies onto Blu-Ray, CD, DVD discs.
- CD audio onto Blu-Ray, HD DVD, DVD discs.

the result is that once if your playback device has the software capable of playing back the movies, it won't matter what phyiscal medium the software comes on.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 24th, 2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 812825)
I just tried doing that,i put small amount of footage(15 secs) on timeline,selected tools>disc>blueray disc.It rendered then said vegas temp files couldn't be opened.Any advice ? Has anyone actually burned a blueray/standard dvd ?
Paul.

Dozens.
Which BD player do you have? If you've got an older model, you'll need to be sure it's got reasonably recent firmware updates in order to recognize the AVCHD content on the standard DVD/DVD5 disc.

Paul Kellett January 24th, 2008 05:34 AM

I haven't got a BD Player,someone else has which i can test disc on though.My problem is,i didn't even get to burn a dvd in vegas.I'm presuming vegas can put a small amount of bd footage onto a standard dvd,for playing in a bluray dvd player,however when i put footage on the timeline,selected tools>make disc>bd disc,it asks for a folder to send the rendered footage so i make a folder on my drive,vegas renders then completes and says vegas temp folder couldn't be accessed or something like that.I look in the folder that i made and nothings in it.
So how do you make bluray/standard dvd ?
Thanks.

Ray Bell January 24th, 2008 06:08 AM

Well I tried to write to a standard DVD and that failed so I decided to go ahead and put in a real blu-ray ( in a blu-ray writer) and it too failed

so I just did a render only to see what would happen and in all three cases I end up with the same error....

Filename: STREAM/00001.m2ts
Status: TSWrapper.dll::CTSWrapper::ProcThreadMain::IO Error --- Failed to open file: 'C:\Documents and Settings\Ray\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony\Vegas Pro\8.0\~bdmux5220\media\Untitled.w64.ves' -

anybody got any solutions for this one???

Paul Kellett January 24th, 2008 06:16 AM

I just tried again,no luck.Afetr render was completed i got a window pop up saying error,when i clicked on details i got this.

Filename: STREAM/00001.m2ts
Status: TSWrapper.dll::CTSWrapper::ProcThreadMain::IO Error --- Failed to open file: 'Z:\Vegas Temp Files\~bdmux3640\media\Untitled.w64.ves' -

All my vegas temp files ,prernder files and footage are on an externakl drive,drive z.I didn't alter the standard bluray template.

Ray Bell January 24th, 2008 07:01 AM

Ok, After reading around some more I found this fix to the error we are seeing... its the sound selection...

"Sony wave64 selected as audio format. When I switched it back to AC3"

do not use Sony wave64 as the audio format... use AC3 and it works fine

I just burnt some very small footage to a blu-ray disk(RW), it played back on the PC and on a PS3 player...

then I burnt a standard DVD (RW) using the exact same settings and writter,
it too played back on the PC and on the same PS3 player...

just of note, putting down a blu ray file on a DVD you can tell really quick that your not going to be able to put much on a DVD as to lenght of footage... but it does look like it would make for a good test disk or for very short footage delivery...

anyway, it does work :-)

Yi Fong Yu January 24th, 2008 08:27 AM

if you lower the bitrate to despicable levels, i'm sure you can increase the length of time on DVD5 or DVD9.

after all Blu-Ray's single layer is only 25GB and there are movies that are merely 12-15GB on Blu.

there's also single layer HD DVD's, 15GB.

i should think it's reasonable for stuff like weddings, where you don't want 2+hrs of epic footage.

can you create VC-1 and MPEG-2 encodes as well or strictly MPEG-4 only?

Paul Kellett January 24th, 2008 02:18 PM

RAY BELL Thanks.
AC3 sorted it.
Thanks,Paul