Blue Ray Discs for Archiving mxf.mpg files etc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Blue Ray Discs for Archiving mxf.mpg files etc.

Hi Guys,
I'm new here to DVI and perhaps this thread is misplaced,but i had to mention the fact that i recently purchesed a blue ray burner (LG GGW-H20L) €300 for my pc
(dell xps720 vista & dell 2407WFP 1920X1080 FLAT PANEL)
The installation was hassel free & the software included (Cyberlink bundle package) was very satisfactory considering price.there is even a small software program to test whether your setup will be able to handle blue ray for playback & burning. Anyhow i found that by burning a BLUE RAY DATA DISC (ie draging & droping files etc)i was able to put about 22Gbs of an asortment of video files(some of which i downloaded from this site)onto a single layer disc.the files played back flawlesley from the disc,as if they were playing from your hdd.
This may be for some of you worth looking into as a form for archiving & giving to your client,as i am only a hobby videographer,and there are problems if your client does not have br player etc.Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks for the use of this site as i 've found it great for gathering useful information on the PMW-EX!,which i hope to purchase soon--soon--soon--maby
P.S. some of these files playback on a ps3 ,just add a folder named 'video'
Mike Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Mike,

this is good news. Actually what file types have you managed to play back with your PS3?
I have PS3 and so far only managed to play back .m2t files (burnt on DVD though)
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #3
New Boot

Tourist

Hey Zsolt,
So far i'm able to playback .m2t,wmv,avchd & some h264 video files.
As far as a data disc goes,i don't think it makes any difference if you are using dvd or bd or a memery stick as the ps3 reads the files off in the same manner.
It would be nice if sony added mxf playback to their next firmware update
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Major Player

I purchased the LG GGW-H20L last week and have been burning blu-ray disks with full chapter menues via Encore CS3.

Its easy once you know how to do it. But it took several days of researching and getting error messages on the PS3 before it all ran smoothly.

The burner is great and very good value.

The problem I had was in the transcoding. What started out a s a beautiful image from the EX1 was being ruined by the transcoding inside Encore CS3.

I didn't want the footage transcoded, so I had to sort a workaround. Still not 100% there yet but almost, and the results are mostly brilliant.

Problem is I am mac based for editing and there is no blu-ray solution, so I do all my work in FCP, then export out as a M2T, then copy over to the PC, import into Vegas or PP ( which works better because you can export directly into Encore) then make a blu-ray disk image, ( it sems to fail when buring directly to blu-ray) then open up Nero ( with blu-ray plugin) click the uDF tab, change from automatic to manual, change the file system version from 1.02 to UDF 2.5, and burn the image.

PS3 will then play it like a normal DVD, with full chapter menues. But its HD!

Still have to iron out which bit rates work the best, and haven't tried H.264 to compare to mpeg 2. I know file sizes will be smaller but with 25 Gb I haven't yet run into a problem with disk space.

Also I would highly recommend practising on re-writable Blu-ray, or you could end up with a lot of expensive coasters.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #5
New Boot

Blue Ray Discs for Archiving mxf.mpg files etc.

Hi steve,
Sounds like a lot of work to get where you want.
I'm a PC user & video is Hobby so bare with me
So i use Adobe pp2 for editing footage from my sony hdr-hc3 (great little cam) there is no way to burn a bd from this software directly so i'm importing my output .m2t files into the Cyberlink bundle package 7 burning a blue ray disc from there
But watching the playback from the bd disc (not a data disc)on playback there is some amount of small vibration or shimmering type of effect on the picture(interlacing maby?),whereas when i watch the playback of a file .m2t/mxf on wm player or vlc player the twither is gone.
I've only got burner last week so will take some time to try different approaches to end up with something approaching good quality footage
i'll also need a better software solution (with my limited budget)

Yea, i'm of course using re-writable Blu-ray dics as you say prices are still high
Also the picture quality playback is better on my PC than on my PS3
Cheers,
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Being mac based I really don't know my way around either Vegas or PP very well, but they are all of similar ilke so not to difficult.

My wife owns the HC3 and its a great little camera. In fact my job today is to burn a blu-ray dvd with our HC3 footage. At the moment it is being rendered into a quicktime movie in FCP before being brought across to the PC for output. A real pain that the Mac can't do blu-ray. They are really behind the game with DVD studio 4 and its inability to do anything HD.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Trustee

Which Vegas are you all using ? Pro 8 can burn Blu-ray straight from the timeline.No menus though.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes have Vegas 8b but to me a dvd should have menues to give to the client. A straight put in and play dvd is not acceptable.
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

As discussed on the SCS Vegas forum, untill DVDA offers full BD authoring - the viable and not expensive method of delivering BDs with menues is have them burned to image with Vegas Pro 8.0b (including chapter marks), and then author/burn the m2ts file in the STREAM directory of said image to disk (either regular DVD or BD) with Ulead MovieFactory 6plus with HD pack (there are other apps doing the same, but I have been using MF with great results; what's important you can use eithher the MPG2 and AVCHD formats in Vegas, and just create chapters/menues without recompressing the main video file).

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 10th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Blu-ray version of DVDA is coming. Heard it from the horses mouth, (well a Sony rep) who said you never heard this but...........NAB.

And you can burn from the Vegas timelinie, but not 1280 x 720p. Doesn't offer that option.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Problem is I am mac based for editing and there is no blu-ray solution,
Well, actually there is a Blu-ray _data_ disk solution for the Mac. I'm using the OWC Mercury Pro 2x Blu-ray Panasonic SW-5582 External burner with my MacBook Pro along with Roxio's Toast 8 Titanium software to archive both source video from the EX1 and subsequent FCP edits.

Carroll Lam
Carroll Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Blu-ray version of DVDA is coming. Heard it from the horses mouth, (well a Sony rep) who said you never heard this but...........NAB.

And you can burn from the Vegas timelinie, but not 1280 x 720p. Doesn't offer that option.
It's coming for sure. As to 720p BD, you can define your own template!
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Major Player

True but what I meant was a solution to build proper blu-ray dvd with chapter menues for clients. Apple seem very slow off the mark and others have stolen a march. Which is a real pain considering they are happy to let you do all your work in HD, and then let us down at the final hurdle for delivery.
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
As discussed on the SCS Vegas forum, untill DVDA offers full BD authoring -
Hi Piotr,

What / where is the SCS vegas forum?

I had a search on google but couldnt find anything.

thanks.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
It's coming for sure. As to 720p BD, you can define your own template!
How? I am not too savvy with Vegas but can't see how I can do it. I have the timeline done, go to tools, burn disk, blu-ray disk, but there are no options to really alter other than what is on offer. No "custom setting".
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring