DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   My First BluRay Authoring Experience with Encore CS3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/117548-my-first-bluray-authoring-experience-encore-cs3.html)

Taky Cheung March 22nd, 2008 03:35 AM

My First BluRay Authoring Experience with Encore CS3

I purchaed the LG GGW-H20L BD burner. It works great! Finally need to burn a 3 hours wedding video project to BluRay. Encore is just flaky. Lots of weird error message that you have no clue what's going on.

Finally I figure out it gets really bad if I have motion menu with anitmated thumbnail. Encore does better with static menu.

Now I have a question. For DVD, there is a DVD-video format. If I just drag a VIDEO_TS folder to burn a DVD data disk, it won't playback as DVD video. Does BluRay has the same thing? I open up Nero 7, it doesn't give me a BluRay-video option. So I just burn a BluRay data disk with whatever folders generated by encore it will be playback in set top BluRay Player?

I don't have a BluRay Player yet.. so can't test it out.

Any idea?

Thanks

Josh Chesarek March 22nd, 2008 06:11 AM

Did your burner not come with play back software? You could test it with that. I am not sure about just burning the files like that. I seem to recall people trying but getting errors because of blurays requirements for copy protection files, even if your not using it but I am not 100% sure on that. I have been meaning to make a Blu Ray disk of my short videos for a while now, hopefully in the next week I will finally get a chance and be able to share my experiences on it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 846592)
I purchaed the LG GGW-H20L BD burner. It works great! Finally need to burn a 3 hours wedding video project to BluRay. Encore is just flaky. Lots of weird error message that you have no clue what's going on.

Finally I figure out it gets really bad if I have motion menu with anitmated thumbnail. Encore does better with static menu.

Now I have a question. For DVD, there is a DVD-video format. If I just drag a VIDEO_TS folder to burn a DVD data disk, it won't playback as DVD video. Does BluRay has the same thing? I open up Nero 7, it doesn't give me a BluRay-video option. So I just burn a BluRay data disk with whatever folders generated by encore it will be playback in set top BluRay Player?

I don't have a BluRay Player yet.. so can't test it out.

Any idea?

Thanks

Jon Omiatek March 22nd, 2008 09:14 AM

Your LG burner ships with PowerDVD, it will play your bluray disc provided you have a compliant video card and monitor. It also ships with BD Advisor, it will run a check to see if your system is up to spec.

Finally, Encore requires you to make the disc correctly, one error will cause a problem. Make sure you that you check the disk for errors prior to building an image or burning straight to Blu-Ray.

I found that it works best if you export from Premiere to Encore.

Bart Walczak March 25th, 2008 06:07 AM

There's a thing that most people might not know about authoring blu-ray on Encore.

Encore only authors BDMV blu-ray discs which currently stop being supported on stand-alone players if recorded on typical recordable blu-ray media. For recordable media you will need to author BDAV disc, which Encore can't do, or buy special licensed recordable media, so far not yet available for consumers.

The support for BDMV on recordable media is being withdrawn by Sony and is not present in new blu-ray players.

Graham Hickling March 25th, 2008 08:16 AM

I came across this posted elsewhere (can't recall where sorry) late last year. Do these AACS-approved media exist yet, I wonder?

"Blu-ray players were never supposed to support BDMV authored content using ordinary data type BD-R or BD-RE media. An exemption was made for a number of months so that available blank discs could be used for testing and other promotional activities; this exemption expired recently.

Consumers will be able to record their own authored movies using recorded media designed for this purpose (as specified by AACS). This media is designed to stop copies of copies of copyrighted material, something we can't prevent right now with the current media and drives."

Bill Engeler March 25th, 2008 02:17 PM

Graham and Bart -

Do you have any recent references for your claims? If this were true, it would seem a pretty big problem for us (and Adobe as well).

From some other threads on this site, I gather that only java-based authoring needs the AACS hoohah, and simpler authoring, such as Encore provides, will work fine with most current and future players. Who's right here?

Graham Hickling March 25th, 2008 03:23 PM

Here's an August '07 link to the info I quoted above. Since the link is itself quoting other sources, I definitely can't vouch for its veracity - hopefully other wiser folks here can confirm or deny:

http://www.campaignhd.com/807_BDR_Playback.html

Adam Gold March 25th, 2008 06:37 PM

So now this article has me wondering if the ability to play back BDMV on BD-r discs will be "removed" from players that claim to do this via the incessant firmware updates? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Interestingly, the manuals for the BDP-S1 and S300 specifically say they cannot play any BD-R or RE discs, while the manuals for the S500 and S2000ES say they play ONLY BDMV discs on BD-R or RE. There's no mention of BDAV anywhere.

This gets more confusing by the minute.

Bart Walczak March 26th, 2008 06:22 AM

My experience is with the tabletop Sharp BD-HP20 Blu-ray Player. It didn't accept any of the BDMV media, made either with Encore or Scenarist BD. I've spent two nights trying to get it to work and the only way to do it was to create a BDAV disc.

I remember reading the information about withdrawing BDMV support on several forums, one of them here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602319

Jon Omiatek March 27th, 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 848414)
So now this article has me wondering if the ability to play back BDMV on BD-r discs will be "removed" from players that claim to do this via the incessant firmware updates? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Interestingly, the manuals for the BDP-S1 and S300 specifically say they cannot play any BD-R or RE discs, while the manuals for the S500 and S2000ES say they play ONLY BDMV discs on BD-R or RE. There's no mention of BDAV anywhere.

This gets more confusing by the minute.

Yes, the manual(s) says it will not play burnt BD's but the newest firmware for all of the players allows BD-R & BD-RE. I have a Sony S300, S500 and PS3. My Encore CS3 built BD-R's and BD-RE's play with no issues. The S300 out of the box will not play them but with 3.2 or newer firmware, 3.8 is the most recent and will allow playback, it actually says BD-ROM when it reads the disc.

Adam Gold March 27th, 2008 11:31 PM

This is great info, Jon. Thanks for the update.

David Moody April 7th, 2008 12:44 PM

My PS3 will play BDMV Encore created movies with BD-r and BD-re media. I just upgraded to the latest software version 2.2.

I have also tested it on with the Samsung and Panasonic players with no issues.

The only ones that don't seem to work are older players without software upgrades.

Adam Gold April 10th, 2008 12:32 PM

Just burned my first BD with Encore. Played flawlessly on the PS3. No coasters yet.