DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Sony EX1 to Bluray Workflow. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/136559-sony-ex1-bluray-workflow.html)

Kevin Walsh October 26th, 2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Newman (Post 955795)
Drag EX1 files into Edius 5, output to Blu-ray mpeg file from timeline using Procoder 3. Open in Encore CS3, do your design work and burn to disk. Only one coding process - same as DV really.

Paul

If it really is this simple I'm considering switching back to PC based editing. Is it this easy if you just use the Adobe Premiere suite? (No Procoder,no Edius)

Desmond Sukotjo October 28th, 2008 05:01 PM

Kevin Walsh, what is your current workflow with EX1 anyway? Are you on a Mac with FinalCutPro? I heard from other forum that they're doing just fine using FinalCutPro for their EX1 workflow. But from what I know, you can't author bluray disc on the Mac with DVDStudioPro (it's only for HD-DVD). Maybe there are other Mac applications to author bluray?

On the PC, we can import the EX1 (mp4) straight to Premiere Pro, edit away, then export to HD-mpeg2, but lot of users don't like it this way. They like to export the movie file first, then use other encoder such as procoder to give you a better quality encoding to HD-mpeg2.

Kevin Walsh October 28th, 2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmond Sukotjo (Post 956828)
Kevin Walsh, what is your current workflow with EX1 anyway? Are you on a Mac with FinalCutPro? I heard from other forum that they're doing just fine using FinalCutPro for their EX1 workflow. But from what I know, you can't author bluray disc on the Mac with DVDStudioPro (it's only for HD-DVD). Maybe there are other Mac applications to author bluray?

On the PC, we can import the EX1 (mp4) straight to Premiere Pro, edit away, then export to HD-mpeg2, but lot of users don't like it this way. They like to export the movie file first, then use other encoder such as procoder to give you a better quality encoding to HD-mpeg2.

1.) Import into FCP using the XDCAM transfer.
2.) Edit in native codec but use Pro Rez for renders.
3.) Export as Self contained Quicktime movie.
4.) Import into toast. Toast will encode and burn the disk. Toast 9.02 with BD plug-in.
so-so results due to Toasts lousy encoder. Artifacts stuttering video.
or
1.) Import into FCP using the XDCAM transfer.
2.) Edit in native codec but use Pro Rez for renders.
3.) Export in Compressor using these settings DAV's TechTable: Apple's Compressor & Encore Blu-Ray
4.) Author in Encore and create a disk image.
5.) Burn in Toast
better results when it works. Problems with buttons, hopefully fixed in CS4

Desmond Sukotjo October 28th, 2008 07:45 PM

Kevin. What do you mean by "...better results when it works..."? Do you mean that your second workflow (using Compressor) doesn't always work?

I do agree Encore has problem (limitation) on button. For sure it doesn't support button transition. Yeah hopefully fixed in CS4.