DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Blu-Ray Authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/)
-   -   Authoring BLu Ray Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/blu-ray-authoring/142425-authoring-blu-ray-help.html)

Eric Kovacs January 26th, 2009 10:51 AM

Authoring BLu Ray Help

Hello.

I am having trouble authoring Blu Ray discs that will play in my Samsung Blu Ray player. My work flow is Edit in Adobe Premiere CS3 export as a MPEG 2 Blu Ray or H.264 ( I've tried both) Then I create the disc in Adobe Encore. I have checked the project and there are no errors.

The disc plays on a Playstation 3 and my pc using the Cyberlink player that came with the Blu Ray Burner ( LiteOn ) . However, it will not play on my Samsung HT-BD2E blu ray player.

I just upgraded the firmware on the Samsung and still no luck.

The manual says it will not play BD-R which is the media I am using. Is there a differnet type of blu ray I can use ?

We are just making the transition to HD for our wedding video's and I am afraid of outputing a Blu ray that my clients won't be able to play. DVD seemed so much simpler.

I can still return the Samsung & try a different player. However i am trying to find the correct combination that will work for all players. So I can be confident when I deliver my clients there wedding video on Blu Ray that it will play on their player.

Thanks in Advance,
Eric Kovacs

Perrone Ford January 26th, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Kovacs (Post 1001325)
The manual says it will not play BD-R which is the media I am using. Is there a differnet type of blu ray I can use ?

That's the smoking gun. You purchased a Blu-Ray player that will not read disks you can burn at home. That's quite sad actually. Take it back and get something that will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Kovacs (Post 1001325)
We are just making the transition to HD for our wedding video's and I am afraid of outputing a Blu ray that my clients won't be able to play. DVD seemed so much simpler.

At the beginning, DVD was exactly the same. It took quite some time to iron out the home-burned DVD kinks too.

Eric Kovacs January 26th, 2009 11:06 AM

So there is no other option ?

So basically, if my clients own a similar player then they won't be able to view their video ?

Is this common among Blu Ray players ? What do you tell your clients ?

Perrone Ford January 26th, 2009 11:21 AM

Try this page:

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Players - Search Players

It has a nice searchable list where you can just click on the features you want, and it tells you which players meet that spec.

From that, you could update an "approved players" list for your clients, and if they don't have one of the listed machines, you can offer Blu-Ray with a caveat that it might not work for them.

My only Blu-Ray client is me, so thus far, I haven't had any need to warn anyone.

Eric Kovacs January 26th, 2009 11:41 AM

Thanks. I just found some info on BDMV vs BDAV . It seems that Encore uses BDMV only which is currently not being supported on commercial players.

I am going to try to auther in cyberlink ( which uses BDAV ) and see if this works. If it does I may need to Try to find an authoring program thau uses this ( I don't really like cyberlink)

Here is the thread that discusses the 2 formats :

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attend-wo...ncore-cs3.html

Thanks for the help.

Tom Roper January 26th, 2009 01:41 PM

Even more ironic is that the Samsung will play AVCHD/BDMV hybrids from DVD5/9.

Blu-ray is a mess. At times I don't know what to believe. An AVS insider was saying that Blu-ray media was NEVER intended to be used for playback in standalone players, just data disks for PCs. Another insider was saying that BD-R disks without AACS would be allowed to play only until media and players containing AACS are available, and that players were given exemptions that have now expired, and playback would be removed in future firmwares. But those insiders haven't said much lately, the posts are very old.

In researching this, I have not been able to confirm a single example where playback has been switched off by firmware. The one example I did read was for the LG BH200 dual Blu-ray/HD DVD player, and the author of that post described that he used TSmuxer to author a BD-R disk. I know that method is flawed for BD-R media because TSmuxer modifies the index.bdmv file to identify the contained BDMV structure as AVCHD, so that it plays from red laser media which BDMV is not supposed to play on. The converse is that AVCHD does not play from BD-R media, so his method has to be rejected even though it's coincidental that the player did play the erroneously authored disk with the April firmware, and not after the June firmware.

Come to think about it, I think Bill Ravens from right here reported his Samsung player would not play BD-R/RE after a firmware update, but that he returned the player for service and I'm not aware of a followup from him.

What is clear, is that there ARE players that don't explicitly state support for BD-R media, and that the Blu-ray Association acknowledges that the Blu-ray logo cannot be added to BD-R media by you.

So I think for wedding videographers, the best you can do is offer it, taking a disclaimer on the playback compatibility. There are still other avenues for delivery including red laser DVD5/9, USB flash drives, the PS3 and other media players, including the $99 Western Digital WD Tv, as well as regular ole standard definition DVD which is still going to be in demand for some time.

Probably the AVCHD disks are going to offer the most reliable route to compatibility, since any player stating explicit support for AVCHD should play those disks, or the AVCHD/BDMV hybrids.

Really maddening to me is while we struggle with legitimate uses, whole communities are ripping entire catalogs of Blu-ray titles to BD-R, HDDs and USB flash. The genie is out of the bottle again.

David Moody January 26th, 2009 01:45 PM

BDMV is the standard format that enables menus and chapter points. It is supported by all Bluray players to my knowledge and I think a lot of commercial Bluray movies are in this format if they don't use the fancy BD-J options.

Most commercial players support BD-R and BD-RE, but not all. That is what is important to check before buying a player.

Eric Kovacs January 27th, 2009 09:51 AM

Problem Solved

I returned the Samsung and purchased one that supports BD-R and it works great.

Thanks for the information.

Tom Roper January 27th, 2009 06:21 PM

Interesting. The Samsung player that won't play Blu-ray on BD-R media will play it from DVD5/9. How ironic is that?

Gints Klimanis February 3rd, 2009 01:04 PM

Buy a Sony Playstation 3. There are more out there than standalone BluRay players and starts up quickly. It also includes a decent slideshow for images.

Otherwise, consider including the Western Digital WD TV high definition player $130 and a USB flash drive with your BluRay image or HD video file.

Jeremiah Rickert February 17th, 2009 04:03 AM

Have you tried hooking your Samsung Blu-Ray player to the internet with an ethernet cable and installing firmware upgrades?

Some of them will play BD-R after getting the upgrade.