BD/DVD Authoring Software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 9th, 2021, 01:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BD/DVD Authoring Software?

I know this has been asked before...several times, but it seems the last time was over 5 years ago so...

Any recommendations on BD/DVD Authoring Software?

I am a Mac user and have used Encore CS6 for years, but needed to update my OS since I also make mobile apps. Xcode required an OS update for features I needed and now I cannot run CS6 products anymore. Free and/or paid software suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: BD/DVD Authoring Software?

I'm in the same boat as well. My old computer (12 years) died and after getting a new one, I can no longer access my Encore CS6 program. I was told that Sony DVD Architect was a good program for Blu-Rays, but finding a copy of that has proven difficult.

I need a program that allows custom menus and buttons, flexibility to accept audio streams like DTS and TrueHD, alternate audio tracks and DVD-ROM capability. Many of the software programs out there seem to cater to the average consumer and won't suffice.

It's hard to believe there are no alternatives out there, as if The Powers That Be collectively threw up their hands and said, "Meh, just post your stuff to YouTube, 'cuz everybody's streamin' these days."
Jonathan Pokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Exactly…and I say tell that to my client who will only take a DVD so it will play on her Grandma’s TV. There has to be another way besides keeping a 10+ year old machine going.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2021, 11:15 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Jones View Post
I know this has been asked before...several times, but it seems the last time was over 5 years ago so...

Any recommendations on BD/DVD Authoring Software?

I am a Mac user and have used Encore CS6 for years, but needed to update my OS since I also make mobile apps. Xcode required an OS update for features I needed and now I cannot run CS6 products anymore. Free and/or paid software suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
If you are running Windows apps on Mac with Xcode then I would suggest Sony DVD Architect as it does everything you are requesting.

I've produced both DVD and BD masters for mass distribution using both disc creation methods. For duplication (burning) or replication (pressing) and have produced both single and dual-layer discs used for Glass Mastering. All done in Sony Vegas and/or later Magix's "DVD Architect Pro". It's a very capable program. There are available a whole bunch of optional menu sets available for download if you want to have a greater selection of themes to choose from. Obviously, you can also design your own graphics/backgrounds etc should you wish in Photoshop or similar.

The best way to work with DVDA is to create compliant DVD MPEG and BD AVC video/audio files that work with DVDA. Then the authoring process is very fast, like a few minutes to create your authored disc.

Alternatively, you can use basically any type of video/audio file and let DVDA work out the file size and compression method to use to create a compliant file for either the DVD or the BD you are authoring. That will take way longer as DVDA has to do all the file rendering to create compliant files. DVDA will do a good job using it this way but expect much longer production times as DVDA doesn't have the world's fastest file render engine.

To the best of my knowledge DVDA is no longer available as a standalone program you can buy from Magix. But you can still find packages out there that still have DVDA as part of the pack.

Chris Young

Like this Vegas Pro 17 bundle that includes DVD Architect. Pretty good value.

https://ebay.to/3CkcXe8

Also, check out these videos for an overview of how DVDA works if you are not familiar with its workflow.

and part #1 of a four-part tutorial that is available on the Tube.

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It's a pain. I get by using an old mac for DVD authoring. BL is more of pain and I will only produce non menu driven disc on occasion. I tried Vegas DVD Architect, but if you do editing in another program and use a lot of chapters, they won't import, that was deal breaker for me.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 04:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post

To the best of my knowledge DVDA is no longer available as a standalone program you can buy from Magix. But you can still find packages out there that still have DVDA as part of the pack.

Chris Young

Like this Vegas Pro 17 bundle that includes DVD Architect. Pretty good value.

https://ebay.to/3CkcXe8
That version does not come with DVD Architect. I know that because I bought the exact same package last week and it was not included, unfortunately.

So, my hunt continues.
Old November 16th, 2021, 11:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Really! sorry for the bum steer. Have a look around. This package has DVD Architect, $35.

https://ebay.to/3kJIgJg

Pete C makes a valid comment about chapter markers. Most NLEs can export a list of chapter marker timecodes and names. I've often had a program someone else has edited in one NLE or another that needs to be authored to disc. I just get them to export the chapter names and TCs from that NLE as a text file and use them in DVD Architect.

When I have had someone supply me a finished video with no ability to generate a chapter list I just throw their finished program on a Vegas timeline and insert chapter markers with the positions and names as required by the client. I then export that chapter list with its names and TCs as a text file for use in DVDA.

If doing it manually from scratch you just type your first chapter timecode into the timecode window in DVDA and that will jump your cursor to the time entered. Then hit M for marker and type in the chapter name. Do likewise for the second chapter timecode marker and enter its name and so on.

All very simple and pretty straightforward really.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
BD/DVD Authoring Software?-veagas-chapters.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2021, 04:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Really! sorry for the bum steer. Have a look around. This package has DVD Architect, $35.

https://ebay.to/3kJIgJg
No worries; the package that does come with DVD Architect is identical, so it's understandable.

I did check that link, and that version only supports standard-def DVDs, so I'm still hunting. I do appreciate the efforts, though- it's helped me with some due diligence in sorting out exactly what I need.

There's a few packages out there that do have it, but they cost around $500 and I blew my budget last week when I thought I was getting the authoring software.
Old November 17th, 2021, 07:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Understood!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring