Cineform to Blu Ray - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:12 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Make sure Roxio knows of this bug -- it is their bug. When you say others are having no problems, are also using NEO HDV, or are they using NEO HD or another intermediate?
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM   #17
Major Player

You know, I'm not sure. The guy who responded said he was using a 1440 clips, but with AspectHD rather than Neo HDV. Here is the thread:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...27&hl=cineform

I have found a way around this problem: that is to export as an HDV mpeg from Vegas, then strip the m2t transport off the render using MPEG VCR from Womble.com. It is a round-about way of doing it but it works. I would much rather be able to use the Cineform Neo HDV master directly.

I'm not sure it is a Roxio problem since it seems to work with the Aspect HD version of Cineform. The lack of previewing capability probably is likely a Roxio issue, but the aspect ratio problem, especially if it only exists in the Neo HDV version, is probably on your end.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO HDV and Aspect HD use the same codec components. Possibly a version issue. I'll see there have been any other reports.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #19
Major Player

When Neo HDV first came out, there was a brief period where the aspect ratio was mistakenly played back in WMP as 4:3 rather than 16:9. By the time I reported it, a new revision was out and it was fixed.

Some time later, I ended up reformatting my hard drive and doing a complete reinstall of everything to fix some horrible CPU inefficiency and crashing issues. When I first reinstalled Neo, it was of this first version that was messing up the aspect ratio. I immediately updated it and the problem went away again. Anyway, the point is, that at some point, something that had to do with the aspect ratio WAS changed during the change from Connect HD to Neo HDV, and the problem I'm having now with DVDit Pro HD may be related to that.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
I really like the idea that for short projects you can use a thirty cent DVD-R, for medium length projects you can use a dual layer DVD-R, and for full length projects you can use either a real HD DVD-R disc, or use mpeg4 disc compression and a single or dual layer DVD-R. Contrast that with the new Sony $450 Bluray player that won't play your hi definition discs no matter what you do!
Fair enough, except that a single-layer HD-DVD doesn't have enough capacity to hold a 90+ minute video in HDV format. Sure, you could use a dual-layer disc, but that will cost more and be less reliable than single-layer...and dual-layer HD-DVDs aren't yet readily available. For my purposes this is a significant difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD, since most of my video projects run at least 90-100 minutes in length. And while Blu-ray discs do cost more at $18 each compared to $13 each for HD-DVD, the price per GB is substantially less for the former (69 cents versus 87 cents).

I agree that the option to put HD content on a red-laser disc is a good thing, but it's not enough to make HD-DVD a compelling format. The big point in HD-DVDs favor is the lower price of the players, and if that turns out to be a deciding factor for consumers then I'll make the best of the situation. But Blu-ray fits my workflow and delivery requirements better, so I'd just as soon see it become the favored format - as it is currently doing.

By the way, I'm not too concerned whether a Blu-ray burner can also function as a player, but it's useful to know that could be an issue. For those who do care about this, you should also read up about problems with HD support in most computer video cards due to problems with HDCP implementation. That may not matter for playing back your own work, but if you want to use your computer to watch commercial HD movies make sure you know what you're getting into.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #21
Major Player

I get 50 minutes of full bandwidth HDV on a dual layer DVD-R. At the same data rate, a 15 gigabyte HDV disc would give you over 80 minutes playback time with 25 mbps HDV mpeg 2 encoding. Dropping the quality down to 18 mbps or so will give you over 90 minutes at excellent quality and, as you said, there's always dual layer discs and mpeg4 encoding. Personally, I don't see that length of project very often. I expect to be able to do most of what I do in the HD DVD format with regular old DVD-Rs.

Also, I expect that both computers and mpeg4 encoders will continue to get faster and I wouldn't be surprised to see most people using mp4 or V1 encodes on both Bluray and HD DVD in the next year or so even if they don't need the space. I do DivX mpeg 4 encodes regularly and they are superfast. There is no reason an mpeg4 encode has to take any longer than an mpeg2 encode. It's just a matter of time before mpeg 4 is quite practical.
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
You should be able to load the CineForm AVI directly into you BluRay authoring software, and it will transcode it to MPEG2/4 as needed.
Hi David,
When I try loading my Cineform avi files into my HD-DVD burning program (Ulead MovieFactory 6+) it crashes the program every time :( Any Ideas why?
Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #23
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kepen View Post
Hi David,
When I try loading my Cineform avi files into my HD-DVD burning program (Ulead MovieFactory 6+) it crashes the program every time :( Any Ideas why?
Thanks - PK
That is likely a bug report for ULead. Our codecs are standard Video for Windows or Direct Show components, they work in nearly all PC tools that support one of those interfaces. Although, do file a trouble ticket with CineForm so QA can test this with the Ulead trial.
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #24
Trustee

Laurence, thanks for all the interesting information!

Presently, are there any of the current HDDVD players that you would NOT recommend as being suitable for playing backing red-lazer disks in the way you describe.

Obviously, I'm particularly interested in the cheapest ones...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
That is likely a bug report for ULead. Our codecs are standard Video for Windows or Direct Show components, they work in nearly all PC tools that support one of those interfaces. Although, do file a trouble ticket with CineForm so QA can test this with the Ulead trial.
Yes David, you are correct that its not a cineform issue, sorry. It almost seems its something with Vegas (at least my installation of it). When Ulead tries to open my Vegas file, I always get a message "access is unavailable/denied (I can't remember the exact verbage).
I can take the Vegas edited mpeg file and open it up in PPro 1.5, use the Adobe media encoder to make a file to export to Ulead Movie Factory, and it works fine. The only problem is that when I send the file from Vegas to PPro, the sound is way into the clipping range. Obviously I will have to experiment with how much to lower the volume in Vegas before opening in PPro. Have a Great Day David, and Thanks - PK
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
I use the exact same HDV files to author both HD DVD and Bluray. There is no difference whatsoever in either the encoding time or the playback quality.

What is different is that I can author an HD DVD on a regular DVD+-R (up to 25 minutes on a single layer, 50 on a dual layer). It will play back consistantly on all HD DVD players (so far at least). Production cost is less than a dollar.

Contrast this to the current situation with Bluray: yes you can author Bluray to a regular DVD+-R, but it will only work on a couple of players IF they are updated to the latest firmware. They won't playback properly on the most popular Bluray player, the Playstation 3. If you buy the new $499 Sony BDP-300, it won't play back a burned HD disc even if it is burn on a real Blu-Ray blank. It is (unfortunately) not BD-R compatible.

For watching commercial releases, Blu-Ray vs HD DVD is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either one looks the same and has plenty of space for a movie and the pointless extras, but for homebrew HD content delivery, HD DVD is way ahead, at least for now.
Well, I am glad I read this because I just purchased the Sony BDP-S300. I can't believe that Sony wouldn't provide support for their own format and their computer blueRay burners. Fortunately I am still within the 30 day return period, so back to BB it goes. Are there ANY BlueRay players that support DVD-R ? Any that support BD-R ? Does PS3 support BD-R? Does anyone know which make/models they are? Thanks - PK
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #27
Major Player

Panasonic does...

I have the original Panasonic player, and as I understand it, this unit has always played BD-RE from its initial release. Now there is a much cheaper player that may not (the "A" model), per someone on the Roxio site. However, in a following post someone else said it plays BD-RE fine. The difference may be that there were versions of the discs, believe it or not, and the passage in the manual says it won't play "BD-R,RE v1,2."

Here's the thread:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=23715

Tip McPartland
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
The latest Blu-ray player won't playback BD-R discs!

This is a bit misleading. The Sony BDP-S1 player with since ver 1.55 firmware (March 12th) has played BD-R/RE discs built as BDMV projects. These projects with menus can be produced by DVDit Pro HD, Ulead and other products.

The newest player, the BDP-S300 shipped with firmware identified as 2.0, but apparently was released to manufacturing before BD-R/RE support was worked out. Same story with the European BDP-S1E. I expect Sony to fix this soon. [They had better!]

I also use my Cineform Access HD .avi files directly into DVDit Pro HD and the results are great.\
I also have made short HDV projects to red laser DVDs that play on my BDP-S1 by omitting the AACS folder, this is not an exclusively HD-DVD story
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #29
New Boot

I have currently a 30 minute 720p Premiere/Cineform work-in-progress timeline that I would like to have people view in something higher than 720/480.

If I burn a 1080 60i mpeg2 file (approx. 5.5 GB) to a DL DVD-R disc in my current DL DVD burner, will it play on a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player or do I need to burn with a dedicated HD-DVD burner?

For 2 years we have burned 1080i discs and played them beautifully on an I-O DATA AVel LinkPlayer2 but those players are scarce as hen's teeth. I am hoping such a mpeg2 1080 60i disc will play on the newer and far more common Toshiba HD-DVD players.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
David Wislon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wislon View Post
If I burn a 1080 60i mpeg2 file (approx. 5.5 GB) to a DL DVD-R disc in my current DL DVD burner, will it play on a Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player or do I need to burn with a dedicated HD-DVD burner?
No purely DVD player, per se will play an HD project. You will need an authoring product to make a suitable HD project first, then you burn where you want. Only short projects that fit will burn to DVD media. For longer projects, there apparently is only one HD-DVD burner in limited supply, a few HD-DVD -R single layer (15GB) media choices and no -RW meida, so few people are using it seriously.

For Blu-Ray players, you need an authoring program (like DVDit HD Pro) that can make a BDMV project so the result can be evaluated by the player. Once in BD image or folder form, it can be burned to a DVD or DVD-DL. In the case of my Sony BDP-S1, this will play if you delete the (empty) AACS folder before burning the folders. For longer projects, there is a variety of BD-R and RE media in 25GB and 50 GB sizes and a couple BD-R25 brands that are inkjet printable.
Don Blish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Blu-Ray Authoring