DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   My c300 is quite loud (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/505440-my-c300-quite-loud.html)

Mark Moreve February 21st, 2012 03:10 PM

My c300 is quite loud

Anyone else have this issue, I think it's just the air intakes as its definitely just a fan sound. Nothing like a tape camera though like my old Digi beta.
Just thought I would mention it.

Barry Goyette February 21st, 2012 05:19 PM

well..My c300 is crooked

I haven't really noticed the fan noise except a couple of times when I turn it on...Haven't picked anything up on several different microphones....but..with no mic attached, I do get a noticeable hiss on the audio tracks. strange.

Here's one I've been meaning to ask though..when I mounted the monitor/controller unit on the handle for the first time...I noticed that it was on there really crooked...like 5-10 degrees off level...that particular foot on the controller is mounted completely off angle and it's very strange looking at it because it gives you the impression that your camera isn't level...(I literally didn't realize the first time as it was dark...and I kept leveling the tripod over and over)..so Is mine a mutant...or is that a design feature I missed.

Barry

Chris Medico February 21st, 2012 05:31 PM

Re: My c300 is quite noisey

I think you guys are just looking for ways to brag you have a c300! :)

Barry Goyette February 22nd, 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1716423)
I think you guys are just looking for ways to brag you have a c300! :)

you are absolutely correct. but my monitor is still wonky. any one want to brag that there's isn't?

Alister Chapman February 22nd, 2012 12:45 PM

The fan is quite noticeable on mine, especially when using the rear viewfinder. Away from the camera and you struggle to hear it.

Mark Moreve February 22nd, 2012 02:30 PM

Yes the old wonky LCD my xf305 is the same. Drives me nuts.

Jon Fairhurst February 22nd, 2012 03:16 PM

Re: My c300 is quite LOUD

A better thread title might be that the camera is "loud", rather than noisy. Every time I read the thread, I think of image noise rather than the sound of a fan.

Robert Sanders February 22nd, 2012 03:36 PM

Agree. My first impression was that "noisy" was referring to the picture quality.

Chris Hurd February 22nd, 2012 06:18 PM

Re: My c300 is quite loud

Thread title edited per Jon's suggestion.

Jon Fairhurst February 22nd, 2012 06:55 PM

Thanks Chris.

It's a small thing, but it's good not to give the wrong impression. If anything the most impressive feature of the C300 is that its (video) noise is so low. (And, no, I don't work for Canon. The money tends to flow in the other direction...)

Syeed Ali March 3rd, 2012 06:20 PM

Mines quite loud.

Tried it with an NGT3 microphone attached and the sound is quite audible even with a furry over the mic.

David A. Fisher March 12th, 2012 09:46 PM

If I keep my VF pushed in, it's quiet as all get-out. With VF pulled out, you can hear the fans through the VF cavity.

Buba Kastorski March 15th, 2012 10:46 PM

somehow my previous post disappeared :)
wanted to tell you guys, you need to hear Epic and Scarlet fans before complaining about c300 being too loud.

Alister Chapman March 16th, 2012 12:08 PM

Yes, Epic and Scarlet are loud when in standby, but the fans normally power down during a take so they are quieter. I'd say the C300 is quite a bit louder than an Epic during a take.

Buba Kastorski March 16th, 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1721294)
I'd say the C300 is quite a bit louder than an Epic during a take.

thanks Alister, you just made my day, cuz that fan just drives me crazy and I thought that's RED specific "feature";
fan speed is confugurable on epic/scarlet, and majority set it to 30-40% during record and 70-75% on stand by, but from what I saw , during long takes keeping sensor cooler does get you cleaner image, so it is kind of a tradeoff.