DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   meeting Canon Engineers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/506848-meeting-canon-engineers.html)

Jim Martin April 11th, 2012 03:08 PM

meeting Canon Engineers

Hey guys, I'm meeting with the engineers on the C300 at NAB....and they want to discuss anything that might be missing, or need correcting on the C300. Now, both here and Japan, Canon is reading this and other blogs out there so they are aware of what has been posted. What I'm asking here is, are there any fixes or upgrades that might have been missed you would like to be passed on?....and I mean within REASON.....

Thanks!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Mark Moreve April 11th, 2012 04:00 PM

Re: meeting Canon Engineers

I use the spot waveform monitor which shows a red square in the middle of the screen. I wonder if it would be possible to toggle the square around the screen using one of the joysticks.

I would also like to see if XF utility markers could be translated to fcpx, avid etc

WE Need ENG style lenses for the camera. Please show them the new Fujinon 19 - 90 mm t2.9 also Sony have an eng style zoom lens for the F3

A bracket to swivel the mic holder though 90 degrees

just a few quick thoughts I'll post some more as I think of them
cheers
Mark

Josh Dahlberg April 11th, 2012 04:01 PM

Thanks Jim.

These seem to be doable firmware fixes that many have requested (no doubt you already have these noted):

1 Waveform viewable in EVF (not just LCD)
2 Separate assignable wheels (on handle and body)
3 Zebras below 70%
4 Manual control of the mic input using one of the control wheels

Graham King April 11th, 2012 05:05 PM

Not sure if anyone else is interested but I would love to have more white balance presets like the DSLRs: shade, cloudy, fluorescent.

Walter Brokx April 11th, 2012 05:26 PM

Easy adjustable handgrip, like EX1 has. So you can adjust it while it's in your hand.

Graham King April 11th, 2012 05:28 PM

Well yea, but that's not a firmware fix.

Eric Emerick April 11th, 2012 07:23 PM

I second Josh's list, along with 1920 x 1080 slo-mo. But otherwise I'm very happy with my investment.

Graham King April 11th, 2012 07:45 PM

I want the option to have black bars in the LCD above and below the aspect ratio guides.

David A. Fisher April 11th, 2012 08:13 PM

This is the list they already have from me:

1. Grip scroll wheel
Make it mappable, or at least make it a function action wheel (like an EOS), so whatever function you’re in (ISO, shutter, WB, etc) it controls that function. Then when not in a function selection it defaults back to iris.
2. Movable mag focus frame
This was a big one that I missed coming from EOS to C300. I love on my 5d having the ability to select the area to punch into for focus.
3. A ¼#20 tapped hole on both of the cold shoe mounts on the monitor
This would allow us to use magic arms to put the monitor anywhere you want.
4. ***Bug alert*** if you don’t firmly have the grip cable plugged all the way in, it locks out ALL buttons.
This one was a moment of panic in the field.
5. Different Display out for HDMI/SDI
A way to send just TC down the video village pipe without sending all the camera data on the LCD, but still keep all the info in the LCD.
6. Hood for LCD
I know this may be a third party item shortly, but it’s really needed.
7. LUT’s down the video village pipe
It’d be great to send a LUT down the HDMI/SDI

Plus some new ones:
- ability to playback media WITHOUT hooking up the monitor
- a way to option for a heavier ND wheel especially for a camera that's native ISO850

Those are mine.

-df

Michael Turano April 11th, 2012 09:16 PM

I would like one higher level of magnification for focus assistance. I would like to be able to review audio as well as video when using the record review button in camera mode. If possible, I would like the joysticks to activate the main functions - white balance, ISO/Gain and Shutter speed. In addition to the daylight and tungsten white balance presets, it might be nice to have a fluorescent preset.

Josh Dahlberg April 11th, 2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Turano (Post 1726560)
I would like one higher level of magnification for focus assistance.

Yes, and the ability to move a deeper magnification region around using the job wheel, as one can with DSLRS.

Graham King April 11th, 2012 09:29 PM

+1 for audio on playback. Seems like a mistake that it's not there.

Nigel Akam April 11th, 2012 10:03 PM

-options with the display out. for ex, only sending TC to the SDI for video village, and not everything on the screen.
- my sound guys want more volume level on the headphone jack.
- the big one as stated above is zebra's under 70! This isn't my old betacam.

Derek Reich April 12th, 2012 10:15 PM

I am very much in agreement with most of what has been mentioned already... but the one thing that has been bugging me is really minor, and I almost feel silly for mentioning it.

The cheap plastic covers which snap on the VF and BNC and XLR ports are poorly designed. I broke off my twin VF cover the very first shoot. Any way to get them to beef those up, or provide better retainers? (also, some way to replace them once they go?)

Colin McAuliffe April 12th, 2012 11:04 PM

The Ability to send a LUT out of SDI

Ability to control levels separately once you split channel one to 2 channels

ability to separate the two control dials (iris/iso)

Zebras below 70%

60p in 1080

ability to use the thumbstick to move around the punched-in focus enlargement