Bag for C300 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Bag for C300

Hi Andy,

Here's a pic of the PC002 with C300 on target shooter base plate with rods, 3 batteries, 70-200 f4 and 17-55, plus the cards & filters in the side pockets.

In this configuration I have the LCD sitting in a section, but I've also had a 5DIII in that section, plus the target shooter shoulder brace and a follow focus wrapped up snuggly above the camera.

It's the tight, mobile option, but it suits my purposes. I played around trying to fit my kit in the PC003 and this bag in store, and found that either way I was going to have to dismantle the LCD to fit, so I went with the smaller bag.

The PC003 is much much larger, and would certainly be the way to go if you need to fit everything in one bag. For me, I generally need to take additional bags in any event, so I prefer the small option for the camera itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-195a4502.jpg  
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Terrifically useful pic and info - thanks again.

I think I'll need the PC003 if I go with this style of bag as I will need to carry C100, battery charger, 3 batteries, Canon 70-200mm F4 IS, 17-55mm F2.8 IS, 10-22mm, Rode NTG-3 or AT4053b plus cable, Senny G2 wireless kit plus headphones and various small odds and ends. If I need my Macro lens or other lenses then I will substitute the lens choices on a job by job basis.

For sure, that lot won't fit in the PC002, that much is clear from your excellent pic!

Thanks again Josh. I promise to post a pic of whatever I end up buying too.
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Also, just to add, I might see how I can configure my Petrol PCCB-2N bag for the C100 and key gear. If this works I might then buy the smaller PC002 for those times when I want to travel as light and minimalist as possible.

I used this PCCB-2N bag on quite a few shoots in Dublin a few years ago with my EX3 and never had any issues getting it in the overhead bins with Aer Lingus etc. See pics here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-awa...rtation-3.html
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Josh,

Just to say I ordered the same Petrol PC002 as yours today from CVP here in the UK. I thought about the many advantages of having at least one relatively small bag for my C100 and a minimal kit after what you wrote and that picture of your bags contents.

In the short term I will find a way to use my larger Petrol PCCB-2N for the more extensive C100 kit - and I will post pics of all this once I have the new bag and have worked out the best way to configure both for my specific needs (I am in the Lake District at the moment so that won't be until next week at the earliest).

I have a potential corporate shoot soon which will see me filming in 5 countries (all EU) so I have decided that if that "gets the nod" in the next month or so then I will ALSO buy a Think Tank Airport International V2 bag.

Why? Well on top of the experiences shared on this thread, the web reviews (amazon etc.) are amazing.

That is in all but one respect, the handle. There are numerous comments about the telescopic handle being difficult to open/extend (needs tape wrapping around it with a couple of inches sticking out - to allow you to pull it out - as it is not sprung). Also, the handle seeming very weak - but no one has said it has broken! Anyone with one have any comments?

The Think Tank bags seem to be really well thought out. I really like the idea of being able to secure it when I am out and about elsewhere in factories (in 5 years of corporate shoots I have never had a problem - but that does not mean I do not worry about this aspect!)

Anyway, you can never have enough camera bags....
Old January 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM   #35
Major Player

Hope it works for you Andy. You'll have a wee bit more room with the C100 too, should be an even better fit than the C300.

Good luck getting the job!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Re: Petrol PCCB-2N with C100

My new bag is still on back-order with CVP but in the meantime I've re-configured my old Petrol PCCB-2N bag for the full kit for a shoot tomorrow morning. Petrol no longer make this bag but one very similar in size and design but now in an all black finish - did someone mention Rugby!

In the bag we have C100 with 70-200 F4 IS attached (with some shades around it) and 4 other lenses (upright) plus a 1.4x Converter, a Rode VMP, a Rode NTG-3 in a WS7, a LED light, the charger, 3 batteries (1 in the C100), strap etc. and lots of odds and ends. The smaller items are all stored in a "long narrow padded trench" under the dead cat etc. I also used the odd small velcro edged partition in that trench from all sorts of old camera bags that I have lying around to make it more organised.

You can see the Mic Handle detached and sitting on top of 2 of the smaller/shorter lenses on the right hand side. I am still playing with various arrangements. It is perfectly possible to locate the handle near the C100 body - so that I don't have to detach the lead from the camera, just the handle alone. Just need to wrap it in some soft cloth so it does not rattle around and scratch my beloved C100!

NOTE: I removed a soft pouch with one of my Sennheiser G2 radio mic kits and another pouch with my new AT4053b hypercardiod mic from the bag (and some audio cables etc.) from above the C100 area so you could see a bit better.

There is plenty of room in there. When my new small Petrol PC002 bag arrives (sometime next week) I'll post a pic of that with my lightweight 'Essentials Only Kit' in it. It'll be a good comparison to Josh's picture with the C300.
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-c100-petrol-pccb-2n-1500-pix-.jpg  
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #37
Inner Circle

My Petrol PC002 bag arrived from CVP yesterday. I really like it and I'm pleased I did not go for one of the larger variants (especially since the PCCB-2N bag in the post above is fine for my more extensive C100 kit, when needed).

As promised, here are a couple of pics of how I've configured the PC002 for my Canon C100 kit. [Note that I'm using a dividing pouch, lower right hand side, that does not come with this bag but which came with one of my other Petrol bags].

First snap shows everything that I would (typically) regard as essential, all I've done is take my Sony MDR-7506 headphones out so you can see a bit better. The Audio Technica pouch has my new AT875r short shotgun it it plus a short XLR cable. Upper right hand side there is also an old blue American Airlines vanity pack pouch (I've many dozens of these from when I frequently flew to/from the USA - always kept them as knew they would be handy one day!). Anyway, it has one of my Sennheiser G2 radio mic kits and a Rode Lav inside. The light grey Canon pouch you can see upper left hand side just has a few lens hoods in it (for now).

The second snap shows the bag with a few things taken out so that you can see the camera and lens positions more clearly (70-200mm F4 IS on the cam, 10-22mm F3.5 and 17-55mm F2.8 IS). Another hood on the left hand side too. Next to the C100's grip is a deadcat (an old one off the original Rode VM) and in the orange pouch bag is the C100's XLR handle plus my newer Rode VMP (wrapped in a soft bag so not easily visible).

Note that the handle could easily have its audio cable still attached to the C100 body if I so wished (for improved speed of set-up). However, with this much stuff in the bag I'd be worried that something would get squashed up against the connection plug if the bag ever got badly knocked, bending something. Therefore, I prefer to detach it completely.

I've also got all three Canon BP-955 batteries (one in the cam) and a container with a few Sandisk Extreme 16GB SDHC cards in there, plus various odds and ends, e.g. B+W 77mm polarising filter, Zoom H2, little LED light etc., some of which are in the side pocket of the bag and thus are not seen.

I could easily also get the C100s charger and power lead in this bag, or perhaps my Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro IS (in place of one of the other lenses or mic pouches).

It certainly seems I can get more in than with Josh's C300, but I guess that is to be expected with the cam body being shorter and the XLR handle not having a LCD attached.

Of course, I also drive/carry around a load of extra sound and lighting gear, not to mention tripods, Sony EX3, Panasonic TM900, Fostex FR2-LE etc. for a lot of my work.

However, for a lot of shoots this bag is going to work out great since the end result is a small, inconspicuous bag that would easily go in the overhead bins on most planes and one I'm happy to wander around town with.

Perfect!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-compact-c100-pc002-kit-mics-.jpg   Bag for C300-compact-c100-pc002-kit-reveal-.jpg  

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks for the useful info and photos Andy. Would the bag close with the handle mounted on the C100?
Owen Kilgour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Owen,

Nope, you'd be putting some force on the Canon Mic Clamp ring if you did that.

Note that I have a Vinten Vision tripod plate on the bottom of the C100 - but that's only about 1/4 inch thick so not raising the C100 much in the bag. Perhaps the next Petrol bag up, the PC003 is taller and so might allow this? (it's certainly MUCH bigger in the other dimensions).

However, if you take the Mic Clamp part off (it's only 2 screws), then this PC002 bag would zip up with the XLR Handle still attached just fine - as long as you don't plan on trying to squashing it under a plane seat!

Soon after I got my Sony EX3, I took the Mic Clamp off that for the same reasons as I might take this one off the C100. Namely, it sticks up and causes problems in transport in bags, is likely to get broken - although this Canon one seems much better made than the Sony EX ones - but most of all it is not a very good way of mounting a mic anyway. I accept that on-camera is the worst place for a mic, but in run-n-gun it's often the only (simple) way. I tend to use the Rycote Invision Video lyre type mic mounts (I have two, they are excellent). Both of the ones I have fit a cold shoe.

What I might do is this. Take the Canon Mic Clamp ring off (for good) and arrange the bag so the XLR Handle can remain on the C100 (and plugged in safely). I would have my AT875r (or possibly the much longer NTG-3) in the Invision Video mount in their foam or deadcats, possibly with the XLR lead still connected up to the XLR Handle. Obviously, to get the bag shut I would not actually mount the mic/Invision assembly on the XLR Handle's cold shoe, just lay it to one the side and on top of the C100 (I'd probably wrap a soft cloth around the mic to protect things a bit).

Then, all you have to do is open the bag, unwrap the mic assembly, slide the Invision Video and its captive mic onto the XLR Handle's front cold shoe, tighten up (and plug in the XLR), take the whole rig out of the bag and you're all ready to go - once you've powered up!

I am sure, somewhere, I saw an aftermarket cold shoe adapter that will replace a standard Canon video camera mic clamp ring assembly (it just screwed on in its place and so gives a second cold shoe near the existing one, I think). That would be REALLY useful - without wishing to divert this thread about bags for Cinema EOS cams too much, anyone know/can link to one? Thanks!

If not, maybe I'll use a DM Accessories Unicube on the existing shoe. http://shop.dm-accessories.com/produ...al-shoe-mounts However, I think the end of the XLR Mic Handle is too fat for this to work with most things I'd want to attach.

The Rycote cold shoe extension bar I have is also another (less compact/elegant) option of getting more mounting points "up front".

[I know the 1/4 inch stud at the back could have a cold shoe fitted to it - I'm working on that as a placement for a radio mic unit, but even that is proving to be not as simple as I though it would be. However, that position may end up being used for a Atomos Ninja 2 one day anyway].

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 13th, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: adding info
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #40
Major Player

I have the old style Petrol 003 to use with my C300. I've been on just about every kind of puddle jumper plane and have always gotten it under the seat - Dash 9, Canada Airjet, etc. For travel I take off the LCD-audio interface. But I can leave it on the camera in the field and still zip up the bag because of the arched top. I think it might work similarly with the C100 with handle. My coworker has the newer model which seems like it might be a bit taller, but I think it can still be jammed under the seat - I actually got out the tape measure. I'm not crazy about their new cart system, but it works okay. The cart is just a bit bulky when taken off.

Also, by far the best mic mount I've ever had was one I rigged up for my EX1. It was two Rycote Lyre shockmounts (I think it's an upgrade kit) mounted to a plate that I screwed where the normal EX1 mic mount goes. I plan to rig up something like this for my C300. It's extremely flexible and will never break, so it can be scrunched up in the bag. There is absolutely no handling noise and getting the mic on and off is very fast.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #41
Major Player

Yet another bag question

Hello kind folks!

I thought the decision to get C100s would be the tough part. When in fact looking for a bag is tougher.

I'd prefer not to take out the handle, and especially the 20 pin jack in and out, in and out.

I understand the petrol cases are best for these single cam rigs.

BUT I'm looking at ONE bag to fit TWO C100s. Handles on, lenses off, grips attached. Hopefully with space left over for 3-4 lenses.

What should I be looking at?

(I used to be able to fit 4 5ds and all the lenses I need in a 1560).

Thanks.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #42
Major Player

Jason I'm in the same boat, I've been searching for days looking at all the manufactures. I settled on the Tenba Roadie II Shoulder bag. I have it on order, will let you know once I get it.

Roadie II HDSLR/Video Shoulder Bag ? Black | 638-334
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #43
Major Player

Thanks Nich!

I just researched that too.

I'm also looking at the Logistics Manager from Think Tank. But honestly, I don't feel like dropping another 600 usd after the cam purchases.

I'll re-measure the Pelican 1560.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #44
Major Player

I saw the video Nicolas. I'm wondering now if that Roadie model can accommodate 2 C100s right side up with handles.
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #45
Major Player

Ok. I got the Think Tank Logistics Manager 30.

It's one BIG bag.

2 c100s. All the lenses I need. And audio.

I think I can squeeze in a third body and just take out the audio eqpt to fit the lenses.

PS. I had to literally wrestle with the Velcro partitions. Comes a very close second to wrap rage.
Attached Thumbnails
Bag for C300-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jason Magbanua; June 26th, 2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Add pix
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems