DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   New Firmware - Is it coming? If so, when? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/511876-new-firmware-coming-if-so-when.html)

Clemens Sauerwein November 4th, 2012 12:49 PM

New Firmware - Is it coming? If so, when?

Hey there,

all around there's rumors that the C300 is getting a substantial firmware-update.
Especially now with Sony's new announcements that would make a lot of sense.
Does anybody know more about that matter?
I love my C300 but there's ways I could love her more :-)

Cheers from vienna.

Craig Chartier November 5th, 2012 11:06 PM

Re: New Firmware - Is it coming? If so, when?

Can you point me to any of these rumors?

Mark Dobson November 6th, 2012 03:37 AM

I've not heard any fresh information about a new C300 firmware update.

I fear that Canon has put this on the back burner as they launch the C500 and C100.

I would love to know what improvements are possible through a firmware update, maybe some of the features that are to be included with the C100 such as One-Shot AF, Push Auto Iris and Auto White Balance?

David A. Fisher November 6th, 2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1762340)
I've not heard any fresh information about a new C300 firmware update.

I fear that Canon has put this on the back burner as they launch the C500 and C100.

I would love to know what improvements are possible through a firmware update, maybe some of the features that are to be included with the C100 such as One-Shot AF, Push Auto Iris and Auto White Balance?

Dear Canon, Please don't prioritize those three upgrades mentioned above. Professional DPs would much rather have faster frame rates and assignability of the grip scroll wheel. Rudimentary "auto" functions can be left on the more pro-sumer models, thank you.

Clemens Sauerwein November 7th, 2012 04:16 AM

@Craig: here's one for example :REACTIONS TO THE CANON C100 | Filmmaker Magazine (look in the Paul Antico Section)
and in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-cano...a-systems.html Jim Martin is hinting at it :-)

Then there's my personal gut-feeling that canon has to react to sony's new offerings which make the price point of the C300 seem a little high.

For me 1080p50 would be the ONE crucial one.
Close second would be histogramm in the Viewfinder.

Cheers

Mark Dobson November 7th, 2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David A. Fisher (Post 1762395)
Dear Canon, Please don't prioritize those three upgrades mentioned above. Professional DPs would much rather have faster frame rates and assignability of the grip scroll wheel. Rudimentary "auto" functions can be left on the more pro-sumer models, thank you.

I wouldn't worry to much as I think these features are unlikely to appear in a C300 firmware upgrade however useful they might be to documentary makers or those working in live situations.

Sometimes when you are filming live situations these tools can be really useful.

What you describe as 'Rudimentary "auto" functions' are all features that can be found on professional broadcast camcorders and on many Canon DSLRs.

And it would be great if Canon were to produce something similar to the new Sony SCL-Z18X140 zoom lens designed for the Sony F3 and F5 range of cameras. This servo zoom also provides auto focus, auto iris, and image stabilisation.

A lens like that would be great on a C300.

David A. Fisher November 7th, 2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1762504)
I wouldn't worry to much as I think these features are unlikely to appear in a C300 firmware upgrade however useful they might be to documentary makers or those working in live situations.

Sometimes when you are filming live situations these tools can be really useful.

What you describe as 'Rudimentary "auto" functions' are all features that can be found on professional broadcast camcorders and on many Canon DSLRs.

And it would be great if Canon were to produce something similar to the new Sony SCL-Z18X140 zoom lens designed for the Sony F3 and F5 range of cameras. This servo zoom also provides auto focus, auto iris, and image stabilisation.

A lens like that would be great on a C300.

I think you and I have different ideas of what a professional camera is.

An Alexa does not have those features.
Any of the Reds, neither.
Your entire line of PDW XDCAMs doesn't. Even Sony designates a difference between the "Professional" series cameras, and non-pro ones (like the ones that your lens fits on).
Even going back to the Varicam years, nada.
Or even further back to a good ol' D600, nope.

My point being, I'd really like to keep the C300/500 as a professional camera and not a pro-summer one.

Nigel Barker November 7th, 2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David A. Fisher (Post 1762508)
My point being, I'd really like to keep the C300/500 as a professional camera and not a pro-summer one.

If the C300/C500 prices are maintained at anything like current levels then there is no chance of them ever being regarded as Prosumer cameras whatever auto features they may have. AWB, Push AF & even Auto-ISO would be great features for run'n'gun & I suspect pretty easy to implement.

Mark Dobson November 7th, 2012 07:46 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by trying to define what a professional camera is. I think it's more down to how the cameras are used and by whom. For example the Canon 5D Mk11 has been used in loads of high end productions and it's influence is felt in the camera's we are using today.

I don't think that any firmware updates are going to denigrate the professional standing of the C300.

It can only improve it.

And if there were no firmware update I would still be delighted with the camera. The images it produces are truly outstanding.

Should you be worried about the value of your camera going down Canon have already reduced the price by $1000.

Canon have put exactly the same sensor in the C500, C300 and C100. Obviously these 3 cameras are aimed at different sectors of the market.

They have also directly drawn on the technology they developed for the XF305 and used that in the C500, C300 and C100.

Obviously what is behind the sensor differs in these three cameras.

The C100 will be used professionally and whilst it's codex is sub broadcast standard the clean HDMI together with an external recorder will see it being used for Broadcast programmes.

The new Sony SCL-Z18X140 zoom lens I mentioned is specifically designed for their professional 35mm sensor cameras.

The modular design of the PMW F5 and PMW-F55 seems to have been influenced by the design of the EOS cinema range.

And I'm sure Canon will be spurred on by the huge advances that Sony have made with their the latest batch of large sensor cameras and new lenses.

Robert Bridgens November 7th, 2012 05:02 PM

It seems like a waste of time to say what is a "professional" feature and what is not in this instance. I'm sure that a professional camera operator working on a documentary would freaking love one-shot AF. Its a life saver for those moments that are unpredictable. I use it on my 5DII and 1DIV during weddings and event filming all of the time and there are many moments that i would have missed forever if i didn't have that near instantaneous focus lock - i don't even have to bring the zfinder to my eye to check focus before starting the recording. I can trust it will be near enough spot on and then fine tune from there - knowing that i have caught the beginning of the action sequence rather than a complete blur as it would be if it was purely manual.

Not all professionals work on a set or in predictable environments.

Quote:

Definition of professional:
adjective
-engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as an amateur: a professional boxer

Clemens Sauerwein November 8th, 2012 03:16 AM

Guys, please get back to the topic.
Any additions to this beautiful camera (no matter what segment you wanna put it in) would be highly appreciated. Dont loose yourselfs in exhausting definition-squabbles.

Cheers.

Clemens Sauerwein November 8th, 2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1762514)

And I'm sure Canon will be spurred on by the huge advances that Sony have made with their the latest batch of large sensor cameras and new lenses.

Exactly what I am thinking :-)

Paul Cronin November 8th, 2012 07:17 PM

There are a few updates to the firmware Canon could add to make my job easier. We are a fast moving crew with years together as a team and shoot in very tough conditions with huge contrast and very high speed run and gun.

I would love the following:
1. Have duration as a options for each clip? Not in media but in camera mode.
2. Zebra accurate to 1% not +-5%.
3. 24 bit audio.

Sure there are others but coming from 2/3" HD broadcast cameras these are important to me.

Josh Dahlberg November 8th, 2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemens Sauerwein (Post 1762625)
Any additions to this beautiful camera (no matter what segment you wanna put it in) would be highly appreciated.

Quite an exhaustive list was made way back when:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/new-cano...engineers.html

Since then, the C100 has arrived, so we could reasonably expect to add push-auto AF, ISO & WB. It's the last of these that I would personally appreciate.

But what would really make life easier (for me) would be the ability to allocate the body dial and handle dial different functions (ie: one to ISO, the other to IRIS). A very simple request that we've been asking for since the camera was released.

Paul Joy November 13th, 2012 04:56 AM

Much like many of you here I'd love to see some tweaks. It would be awesome if 1080/50p could be squeezed out of the C300 just because a lot of my work is shot at 50p and I'd really like to be able to capture 1080 material instead of 720p.

The thing is though I knew this limitation when buying in to the C300 and to be honest it will serve me well for another year or so as it stands. All this talk of a major firmware update seems to be based on certain people speculating and implying insider knowledge. As far as I can see we've had nothing from Canon on the subject at all.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the C300 runs it's lifecycle without any of these big improvements becoming a reality. Yes the 5D got some big steps via firmware but we're talking about a different product category here. For example I don't think the XH or XF series saw any major performance upgrades via firmware did they?

If we do see something then great but I'm also prepared to find that the rumours go on long enough to see us through to the C300 MKII at which point the C300's hardware inadequacies can be quietly left to fade into history.

Sorry to be pessimistic but I had a devils advocate moment!