DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 backpack (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/512540-c100-backpack.html)

David Ells December 5th, 2012 05:51 PM

C100 backpack

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of my C100 in my new Lowepro 450AW.

First off, this backpack is BIG. It was one of the biggest ones at the store, and my partner and I searched in vain for something smaller that would still fit the C100 fully assembled. The main issue was how the side grip made the cam so wide. It fits comfortably inside this bag, though. Just keep in mind that you will look like a kindergartener when you're walking around with it.

My reasoning for wanting a bag that fits the camera fully assembled is both because it reduces setup time and also wear and tear on the parts that have damageable cables and screws (I've already snapped off the top handle screw head just by unscrewing it on a C300 once.)

So I've got a 60D body, Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55 2.8 , Canon 50 1.8, wireless lav system, and a little room left for a Ninja 2 when that happens.

Lee Mullen December 5th, 2012 10:06 PM

Re: C100 backpack

Can anyone recommend a bag rather than a backpack for the C300?

Peter Chaney December 5th, 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1766561)
Can anyone recommend a bag rather than a backpack for the C300?

I personally use the Lowe Pro X200 rollerbag because I have 2 bodies plus my C100, 6 lenses, 2 shotguns, 1 wireless lav system and misc. accessories. I honestly recommend this bag to everyone because it fits in the overhead compartment on planes and you can also use it as a light stand which is a cool novelty thing.

David Ells December 6th, 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chaney (Post 1766568)
I personally use the Lowe Pro X200 rollerbag because I have 2 bodies plus my C100, 6 lenses, 2 shotguns, 1 wireless lav system and misc. accessories. I honestly recommend this bag to everyone because it fits in the overhead compartment on planes and you can also use it as a light stand which is a cool novelty thing.

Have you ever been forced to check that bag? I know some airlines on bad days will enforce their 9" deep restriction at the gate. My contingency plan in such a case is to quickly repack my body and lenses in my personal belongings bag.

Peter Chaney December 6th, 2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ells (Post 1766753)
Have you ever been forced to check that bag? I know some airlines on bad days will enforce their 9" deep restriction at the gate. My contingency plan in such a case is to quickly repack my body and lenses in my personal belongings bag.

I was only forced to check my bag in when all of the overhead compartments were full but I locked the bag and told the flight attendants if anything happened I would hold them all responsible LOL. Once I told the flight attendant that they made sure to put it up with them. I guess it really depends on who is working but they are usually okay with the bag and I flew every airline this year.

Paul Cronin December 7th, 2012 06:52 AM

I used Think Tank Airport Security roller and Accelerator backpack for my C300 and Still camera plus 8 lens. I fly about 50 times a year for jobs and have never had either of my bags go into check with all gear packed for carry on. Think Tank designs their bags for carry on and build a very high quality product.

I do check one Storm case with extras and one Porta Brace Tripod case that get checked, but all that gear can take the bashing.

I have two Lowe Pro bags and one is waterproof which I use at times but both are as David says higher then the 9".

Richard Collins March 27th, 2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ells (Post 1766535)
Here is a photo of my C100 in my new Lowepro 450AW.

First off, this backpack is BIG. It was one of the biggest ones at the store, and my partner and I searched in vain for something smaller that would still fit the C100 fully assembled. The main issue was how the side grip made the cam so wide. It fits comfortably inside this bag, though. Just keep in mind that you will look like a kindergartener when you're walking around with it.

My reasoning for wanting a bag that fits the camera fully assembled is both because it reduces setup time and also wear and tear on the parts that have damageable cables and screws (I've already snapped off the top handle screw head just by unscrewing it on a C300 once.)

So I've got a 60D body, Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55 2.8 , Canon 50 1.8, wireless lav system, and a little room left for a Ninja 2 when that happens.

Sorry to drag up a relatively old thread, but we are thinking of getting the same bag for our C100. How do you feel about the bag since you bought it?

David Ells March 27th, 2013 02:28 PM

I love it! It fits underneath the seat on all airplanes I've been on thus far and it distributes weight across your torso very efficiently. Also I broke one of the buckles when I slammed it in a car door and Lowe Pro replaced it for free no questions asked.

And I can't overstate the benefit of keeping it fully assembled while in the pack.

Richard Collins March 27th, 2013 02:37 PM

That's the reason I think we'll go with this bag. Nothing beats ease of use and saving time when you need it!

We've got pretty much the same set up. Same body, lens and the Ninja 2. We'll be carrying a 7D alongside the C100, and maybe a 50mm and 70-300. Have you carried a laptop in there too yet?

Thanks for replying...

David Ells March 27th, 2013 02:41 PM

Haven't put a laptop in it but theres a good pocket for it. And if you were flying with it it would easily fit in the overhead with a laptop in it.

Mark Watson March 27th, 2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ells (Post 1766535)
...Just keep in mind that you will look like a kindergartener when you're walking around with it...

I'm undecided on this bag. We're going to need to see a photo of you wearing it :)

Drew Curran June 12th, 2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Collins (Post 1786966)
Sorry to drag up a relatively old thread, but we are thinking of getting the same bag for our C100. How do you feel about the bag since you bought it?

I'm also sorry but just to clarify, can you tell me if you can get the c100 without handle and a lens fitted in the upright position in this backpack?

A secondly will it fit in overhead lockers on flights?

Thanks.

David Ells June 12th, 2013 01:58 PM

Hey no need to apologize, I enjoy sharing the specifics of my success with this bag.

Yeah everything is attached including the lens and it fits on its side.

I have always managed to get it onto the flight as a carry-on. Once I stowed it overhead but every other time it fit underneath my seat. Different seats on different planes offer different space allowances.

Drew Curran June 12th, 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Collins (Post 1786966)

Thanks David.
One more question, will the C100 sit upright with the handle detached rather than on its side?

David Ells June 14th, 2013 06:55 AM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The c100 will fit upright with the top handle removed, yes.

I would only suggest this as a last resort, unless you frequently shoot without audio. It just adds an extra step to the process of unpacking the camera every single time.