C100 dual slot recording, anyone have issues? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 15th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: C100 - EVF Rattles

@ Darren.

Just tried this. Took the C100 and gave it a really good shake - Yes my EVF glass seems to rattle too!

Even if you hold the dioptre slider it will still rattle - and it certainly seems that its the EVF area where the noise is coming from (and sliding the dioptre to either extreme has no effect on eliminating the rattle).

Can't imagine this will be any kind of problem in normal shooting though as I'm not going to be handling the camera with such sudden/extreme moves!

Seems Canon have a knack of this kind of "feature rattling". I recall reading that the XF100s (I think - may have the wrong model) had rattles too, in that case I think it was the XLR latches.

I suggest this thread now returns to the Dual Slot Recording discussion.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; December 15th, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: C100 dual slot recording, anyone have issues?

Two 16 GB Transcend cards (known good, 8-9 write/erase cycles), Recorded on and off using the dual card mode for the duration of a battery. Rinse, repeat.

No problems so far...
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Major Player

I ran some tests last night using the same two Sandisk Ultra cards. Full initialised them both and started a dual record and one of the cards stopped recording 4 minutes in. Re-initialised and then both ran until I got bored, (over 30 mins).

Once again it was the A card that stopped, I'll swap cards and see if it produces different results.
Old December 16th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Been testing for an hour or so this evening, I'm getting constant drop outs, usually within the first four minutes of recording. The card that drops out is not consistent, sometimes A sometimes B, it seems random.

Installed a pair of Kingston 32GB Class 4 SD cards and couldn't replicate the issue at all, going back to the Class 10 Sandisks caused a drop out in the first 2 minutes.

It does feel as though these Sandisk Ultra cards are not good with the C100, I've emailed Sandisk to see if they can be of any help.

Last edited by Paul Joy; December 16th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Paul Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
Major Player

2X: 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10

No problem so far. About 100 or so records. All double-slot. 3 full double erase/initialize.
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #21
Major Player

yea does seems like sandisks are the issue. my sync theory proved incorrect as well, so just seems a general glitch. hopefully can be firmwared out
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #22
Inner Circle

OK, finally found time to test this out on my own C100/Sandisk card combination.

I have Four identical 16GB Sandisk Extreme 45MBps rated class 10 and they also have a '1 inside a U' on them. All 4 SDHCs were bought direct from Amazon (not a marketplace seller) for reasons we all understand. The product link is here:

So far I'm about 30 minutes into testing the first pair of my Sandisk Extremes with the C100 Dual Slot Recording mode enabled - and so sign of any glitches at all so far....

I'll test the other pair later. I'll report back if I get any issues.

In case you were wondering, the cam is pointing at our Xmas tree - with its lights flashing to make it seasonal/interesting ;-)
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Major Player

It would be tempting to think that your faster 45 MB/s cards are whats making the difference over the slower 30 MB/s ultras but my two year old class 4 Kingstons work perfectly as well so I doubt it's the write speed thats that problem.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Major Player

paul out of curiosity what are the last 3 digits of your SN? mine are 107
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #25
Major Player

I can't use Ultra cards on my mkIII. I imagine they're too slow for the C100 doing this complex of a function. Why Ultra's? I just bought Extreme's for like $30?
Bill
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #26
Major Player

The retailer didn't have any extreme versions when I picked mine up but the specifications of the Ultra outweigh those required by the C100 anyway. The C100 specifies a minimum of Class 4 and as I've already written mine has worked fine with my Class 4 Kingston cards. The Ultra's should be within spec.

Darren, I'll have a look tomorrow and get the SN's
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The C300 uses the compact flash recording & CODEC transplanted from the XFnnn cameras likewise the C100 uses the SD recording & CODEC transplanted from the XA10. There is a short list of Canon blessed CF cards for the C300 & XFnnn & there is also a statement regarding which cards should be used in the XA10 (& by extension the C100). Basically any SD card n the market should be adequate from Class 4 upwards http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consu...age=1&type=faq
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #28
Major Player

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. Has anyone found a solution to this or figured out when and why it happens?

We've been having the same issue with our Kingston Ultimate cards (90mbs read, 45mbs write).

In slot A we have a 64GB card and in slot B we use 16GB cards which we swap out throughout the day. On 2 different cameras now we've had the 64GB card crap out during dual slot recording with just --- on the display.

No such problem so far with the 16GB cards.
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I have been using dual shot record with 2 x 32GB Sandisk Extreme cards for a good 6-9 months and before that with 2 x 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards and have never (touch wood) had an issue. I have multiple cards of each type but I will say that I have always "paired up", so if a 32GB card is in slot A then I make sure a totally identical card is in slot B.

Not exactly scientific proof of a solution but thought it worth mentioning.
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #30
Major Player

I had a card crap out on me yesterday. Turned off, removed on, shake it, whisper a little prayer. Nothing, just said to check card.

Put it in the computer and it reads fine. Put it back in today and it recovered one clip and now seems to be working without a format.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems