DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 - Possible to Mark a Clip while Recording? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516430-c100-possible-mark-clip-while-recording.html)

Dave Mercer May 9th, 2013 03:25 PM

C100 - Possible to Mark a Clip while Recording?

Is there any way to "mark" a clip while recording so you can race back to the "marked" point in an interview (opposed to having to write down the timecode by hand.

Many thanks.

David

Matt Davis May 10th, 2013 02:10 PM

Re: C100 - Possible to Mark a Clip while Recording?

I'd be so happy to be proved wrong about this, but I fear the answer is 'no' because of the AVCHD format.

What you're looking for is what Sony call an 'essence marker' rather than a 'clip' marker. In other words, many data points within one clip, rather than applying a data point to the whole clip. Okay, so let's fast forward to the issue here.

AVCHD is just a subset of H.264, which is part of MP4, and whilst MP4 and H.264 deal with data points within a movie clip, AVCHD does NOT. This is my understanding after similar questions, experience and research.

I have a Pix220 which enables a 'recording split' if you press record whilst recording. Sort of an auto splice rather than just inserting metadata, but in a crude 'Caveman' sort of way, it works for me as a shooter/editor. But it is crude and undoable. And very abusable if the pressing of 'The Button' is in the hands of somebody who doesn't like technology.

This is where I've begun to seriously consider a Ninja 2. It CAN insert markers, but not whilst you're recording. Ooooooh - so close. Because the Ninja is using QuickTime's ProRes format, the ability to add essence markers is absolutely there. And then some. It's just not part of the live experience. If they added essence markers, that would be super hot. Let's lobby them.

So, at the moment, I'm kicking the tires of Cut Notes from Digital Rebellion. It's not quite there yet (FCPX's total disbelief in Time Code As It Was Recorded is probably at fault), but it has huge potential if you can work with Time Of Day code.

Actually, I'd prefer a Ninja, with a big fat button in the record mode that says 'Add a marker now'. Cut Notes is very very cool when you need a content expert to mark up a long form record, but a little button which says 'HERE!' in the NLE is very important.

I'm just not holding my breath for this to be implemented in AVCHD, which - as a format - is basically just a big sop by manufacterers so that they can claim that soccer mums and digital dads can play back home movies on BluRay players without burning a bluray. Technically lovely, logistically (and in terms of metadata) a complete arse.

Dave Mercer May 17th, 2013 08:20 PM

Re: C100 - Possible to Mark a Clip while Recording?

Hi Matt.

Just saw your post now. Thanks for all the info. Guess I'll have to write down the timecode the old fashioned way for the time being (and not hold out hopes for a firmware update.