DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C100 audio and Premiere CS6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516579-c100-audio-premiere-cs6.html)

Jason Magbanua May 16th, 2013 07:30 AM

C100 audio and Premiere CS6

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I did the usual googling and searching but came out empty, I hope this is just something totally obvious that I'm overlooking -

When I import my C100 footage into Premiere CS6 on a Mac, I get no audio. The track is there but it's flat, no wavform, as if there wasn't any. But only, there is, when I playback from the camera.

I do know that MTS has never played well with Premiere but it's 2013, surely that's changed.

Any help, links tips would be greatly appreciated.

Nate Haustein May 16th, 2013 08:32 AM

Re: C100 audio and Premiere CS6

Perhaps a PCM audio issue?

Jason Magbanua May 16th, 2013 09:45 AM

Thanks Nate.

And the solution would be?

Nate Haustein May 16th, 2013 10:50 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure. I don't use Premiere, but I've heard of LPCM being an issue before. Anyone else have a proven workflow? I see you're using the MTS files directly - is there another way to import the files?

Seth Bloombaum May 16th, 2013 12:04 PM

Although I've not dealt with C100 files in Premiere, a Premiere trainer suggested the below as a best-practices workflow for importing footage that originates on SD or CF cards. He said that this method provides the greatest assurance that if Premiere does fully support a cam, it would link up all metadata, merge clips that span files, and, yes, solve audio linking problems.

1) Consider file organization by creating appropriate directory structures, then copy the root-level contents of the flash card to your drive.

2) Do not use Premiere's Import. Don't navigate into the card contents using your OS and copy/paste files. Don't use OS drag and drop.

3) Do use the Media Browser in Premiere. Drag files *within Premiere*, from the Media Browser to the Source Monitor, to Bins, or to the Timeline.

That's it - try it and see if your audio works, and please post back!

Eric Coughlin May 17th, 2013 03:25 PM

I'm having a problem where I do get audio in Premiere, but I don't get audio when I play a clip in Windows Media Player, which is useful for when I want to check a clip before bringing it into Premiere.

Seth Bloombaum May 17th, 2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin (Post 1796010)
I'm having a problem where I do get audio in Premiere, but I don't get audio when I play a clip in Windows Media Player, which is useful for when I want to check a clip before bringing it into Premiere.

I highly recommend VLC Media Player, it's free and up to date, and has easy playlist management and can actually bark like a dog or anything else you might want.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Windows Media Player has gotten better in recent editions, but it always seems to be behind the latest camera codecs.

Eric Coughlin May 17th, 2013 09:51 PM

I've already got VLC Player, but was only using it to play DVD movies. Didn't think to try it for playing files from the camera. Audio works fine there. Thanks for the tip.

James Strange May 18th, 2013 08:11 PM

I too got a fright when I tried to view c100 files from my first wedding this year in windows media player and there was no sound!

All plays fine with vlc though , so it's a wmp issue.

Not sure about your issue Jason, I'm on a pc with cs5.0, and no issues with audio

My workflow

1 import files from card to hdd using canon software that came with c100.

2 drag imported mts files into premiere

3 interpret footage as progressive ( as premiere treats c100 25psf footage as interlaced )

4 wait for premier to 'conform' files *

5 edit

*if I drop a file from the bin to the timeline before its been conformed, there's no waveform , maybe something like that is your issue Jason?

James

Strangeworx.com

Eric Coughlin May 19th, 2013 04:57 AM

Come to think of it, I've had audio not show up in Premiere before (with various codecs). It was always a conforming issue. Sometimes it takes awhile for the clips to conform, and until they do, there's no audio. A couple times I thought the audio was missing, but eventually the clips conformed and the audio showed up. Perhaps that could be the problem. Or if the Premiere project is open and running for awhile, and it hasn't conformed, perhaps auto conforming was disabled somehow, if that's possible.