DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   Zeiss CP2 vs Canon Cine lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/516972-zeiss-cp2-vs-canon-cine-lens.html)

Roger Pinto June 4th, 2013 12:38 PM

Zeiss CP2 vs Canon Cine lens

Which one does one go for a guide full discussion between Zeiss CP2 vs Canon Cine Primes !

Matt Davis June 4th, 2013 02:00 PM

Re: Zeiss CP2 vs Canon Cine lens

Speaking somewhat flippantly and allt that... Where does one go for a discussion on how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

We're talking two superlative families of glass here. The question is not 'better' but 'preference'.

As soon as we get to Cine Primes, you're probably renting, you're probably aware of what these lens sets do, you're looking for certain characteristics,

Do you want super-clean images to degrade in post? Give your shots enough to be manipulated in grading to achieve a superb anamorphic look or a certain vintage effect? With an 8 bit codec on the C300, 4:2:2 or not, you're not supplying enough to the editor to either adapt your super-clean shot into a carefully controlled grunge, or to shoot dingy and have enough to ramp up to clean.

I've edited CP2 footage and know it's not immune to Chromatic Aberation, but they do so in an equal way - an editor or colorist is not fighting between lens changes.

I'm sure the Canon lenses are crazy sharp and crazy contrasty. Modern glass.

Craig Chartier June 4th, 2013 09:06 PM

Other camera makers are now using Canon mount, BMC and RED, so I dont understand your thoughts on the C300 and how it relates to the primes?

CP's give you the best of all worlds IF you're wanting to own glass. At least 4 different mounting options.

Canon will never offer the primes in any other mount. So as a DP who is starting out and working with several camera platforms maybe the CP's are the winner.

IF you shoot Sony or Alexa or RED maybe bite the bullet and get Cookes. set of S4s or mini S4's. You wont hear anyone talking about CA.

I believe you can get an adapter for the Sony for the EOS mount as well. you would just have to make it part of your kit if you invested in the Canons. At least thats what Im thinking..

Craig Chartier June 4th, 2013 09:09 PM

Both are currently offering 0% financing also

Roger Pinto June 5th, 2013 09:29 AM

CP2 ofcource offer mounting options apart from Top Glass quality but still why would one go for Canon Cine Primes ? Humble Question ... Sarcasm unwelcoming

Erik Naso June 7th, 2013 12:29 AM

The real question is why you need cinema lenses. For me its focus throw and repeatable focus. Cine lenses usually give you more blades for that perfect bokeh. Precise markings for measuring distance. All these features come at a price. A big one. If you need them then either lens will serve you well.
The one thing I like about Canon is they made cine lenses with the EF mount. This tells me they have a commitment to the cinema EOS line. Lenses always out live cameras and if you invest in a EF mount lens you better be able to use it on the next generation camera they are working on. It kind of gives you faith that more is in the future. Hello Panasonic?