DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C300 - Continuous Auto-Focus Added (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/519974-c300-continuous-auto-focus-added.html)

Mark Dobson November 13th, 2013 12:14 PM

C300 - Continuous Auto-Focus Added

I’ve been looking forward to trying out the one-shot AF and the push auto iris in the new C300 Firmware update which was released today but buried in the small print was a surprising addition to the published list of firmware updates for the C300, continuous auto focus.

There is also an automatic iris setting as well as push auto iris.

These features only work with a couple of STM lenses, the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM and the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.

It’s quite a novelty and I’ve been testing it in conjunction with the edge monitor and it seems to work almost as well as the auto focus on the XF305, which is pretty good. I’m sure that at some stage this feature will prove useful. We will have to wait and see whether the C300 will get the same Dual-Pixel autofocus upgrade that the C100 will have in February. I think it is probably likely.

For me the most useful part of the firmware update is the ability to change both the ISO and Iris independently on both control dials, the one on the grip and the one on the body. This is really useful and negate having to dial through the select dial/Set button.

Anyone tried out the 80.000 extended ISO range yet, or the Wide DR?

Andy Solaini November 13th, 2013 01:26 PM

Re: C300 - Continuous Auto-Focus Added

Now that's interesting what you say about the XF305 AF. I have an XF300 and the continuous AF for some jobs is about the only thing that is stopping me trading it in for something like a C300 to cope with low light shooting.

Simon Denny November 13th, 2013 01:33 PM

The wide DR looks great but I think like CLOG some of the colours are off a bit.
I couldn't get the auto focus to work, maybe I'm using the wrong lens: f2.8 16-35mm?

Mark Dobson November 13th, 2013 01:39 PM

Simon,

have you got Auto-Focus switched on the lens?

Any AF lens should work - I tried my 100-400 L and whilst not being as fast a STM it did resolve focus.

Andy Solaini November 13th, 2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1820507)
Simon,

have you got Auto-Focus switched on the lens?

Any AF lens should work - I tried my 100-400 L and whilst not being as fast a STM it did resolve focus.

Oh right I thought it was just the STM lenses that worked with continuous AF. If it's any lens it's really sounding interesting.

Simon Denny November 13th, 2013 02:37 PM

I found the problem, I selected auto iris which doesn't work. AF is ok, about as fast as the 5D, this might come in handy.

Derek Reich November 13th, 2013 08:10 PM

Where did you download the update from? I've been trying on the Canon USA site, and it's not working....

Alex Leith November 14th, 2013 06:35 AM

Same problem! Canon USA and UK both give 404 errors when trying to download...

Derek Reich November 14th, 2013 08:56 AM

yup. that's what I keep getting