DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   DSLR to C100 mark2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/529553-dslr-c100-mark2.html)

Jeff Cook August 30th, 2015 09:04 AM

DSLR to C100 mark2

I have 3 6d and one 60d that I use for documentary work as well as event videography. I recently shot a promotional piece which required a ton of interviews inside as well as outside. Using the dslr with a cage and a tascam recorder stated to become a pain and I started thinking about the c100mark2. With the ability to use the xlr inputs I believe it will make shoots alot more convenient. I come from a news background and I feel c100 mark2 will really help out. In order to get my hands on one I am thinking of selling 2 of my 3 6d and keeping the 60d. As for weddings I was planning on using the c100 with one 6d and one 60d. Do you think I can match the colors somewhat between the cameras? Any suggestions from those who still shoot with both dslr and c100mark2? Thanks in advance.

Barry Goyette August 30th, 2015 09:58 AM

Re: DSLR to C100 mark2

Generally no, unless you go the other direction. The C100 can be dumbed down to match the dslrs with its Eos Standard Gamma's and color matrix, but most of the methods for matching the cinema eos look with the the canon dslr's -- Magic Lantern (cumbersome) -- flat profiles (generally noisy and still very different). I think the biggest difference you'll see is in overall sharpness and detail, an area where the DSLR's unfortunately can't really get close, especially in anything resembling lower light where the DSLR video will look chunky and patterned versus the fine grained "film" noise of the C100MkII.

An intersting choice right now for you might be looking at the XC10 -- this camera hasn't gotten a lot of love from the press these days, (well earned in my opinion)....but it is capable of very lovely images, internal 4k and all, shoots stills...and is about a third of the price of a second c100mk ii. (there's a fair amount of good footage popping up online that looks a lot better than what canon used to promote the camera...worth a look).

Optionally, I'd be thinking the original c100 as a second or third body, long before I'd spend much effort trying to match to the DSLRs you own. But that's me :-). I realize you're trying to dual purpose the Dslrs, so my recommendation may not work in your case.

Jeff Cook August 30th, 2015 02:23 PM

The c100 lower price at 3000 is very tempting. But I have read several reviews about its terrible viewfinder erring in light and it's led flip screen being bluish. I do not want to guess if my picture is warm or blue. I would get the 100 for sure if I knew the evf and lcd flip screen worked properly. Slow motion is nice but I really do not need to spend 2500 extra for it. Anyone very pleased with their c100?

Jim Andrada August 30th, 2015 03:27 PM

I couldn't be happier with the Mk 1 (or whatever one calls it to distinguish it from the MK II). I personally don't find the viewfinder to be all that bad. Of course it could be a lot better, but I find it perfectly usable. I got a Zacuto Z-finder and turns out I don't need it most of the time.

Re color shift - I never much noticed it, but then again I shoot in Cinema mode almost all the time and grade everything so I don't make color balance decisions based on what the viewfinder looks like. Frankly I don't really trust any viewfinder to be color accurate, nor any uncalibrated monitor either for that matter. The camera has a view assist mode when you're working in Cinema mode that tries to simulate a graded image - not sure how close it really is.

Gary Huff August 30th, 2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cook (Post 1896550)
I do not want to guess if my picture is warm or blue.

You shouldn't be guessing. You should know what the light temp is for your seen and set it either via white balance or through other tools. There should not be "eyeballing".

Jeff Cook August 30th, 2015 07:44 PM

I understand about not eyeballing a scene but I also would like use the evf which I have heard is hard in sunlight.

Gary Huff August 30th, 2015 07:46 PM

The C-Cup is great for that. I got one and sold my Zacuto Z-Finder Pro. Made using the C100 Mark I's viewfinder totally doable.

Jim Andrada August 30th, 2015 08:22 PM

I like the Z-Finder but the problem I have with it is that it puts the camera quite a distance out in front of you. I prefer supporting the cam more like I'd use a - well - was going to say DSLR but I don't use one - and if I said rangefinder 120 camera, almost nobody would know what I was talking about any more:<((

Anyhow the C-cup sounds like a good idea, but I've just bitten the bullet and gotten used to using the admittedly less than perfect EVF. I'm so damned nearsighted that it works for me as is.

I do use the Z-Finder when the camera is on a tripod, though.

Edit: By the way - just ordered a C-cup. I'll give it a try

Michael Silverman August 30th, 2015 08:38 PM

I agree with Gary that trying to make footage from a Canon DSLR match footage from a C100 is very difficult and frustrating. Last year we shot around 30 weddings with a C100 Mk I and a 70D. When shooting outdoors, if the 70D was properly exposed then the two cameras looked fairly similar. However, once you get indoors the differences between the cameras become much more apparent. The C100 has much more detail in the image, the highlights and shadows look much more pleasing, and the noise at high ISO is much less noticeable. During receptions it was very frustrating because the two cameras looked completely different and we often didn't even use the 70D footage.

This year I bought another C100 Mk I and it's been so nice having two cameras that actually match each other. In regards to the LCD on the C100 Mk I, it does tend to be a little cool. However, I've heard the C100 Mk II can be a little warm. It didn't take me long to get used to the LCD and I actually really like it. If you're concerned about the viewfinder, get the C-Cup that Gary mentioned and you should be set.

Both the C100 Mk I and Mk II are amazing cameras and you can't go wrong either way. If you have $5500 to spend on the Mk II then get that one. If your budget doesn't allow for the Mk II then get the Mk I. Either way you're getting a great camera that's easy to use and will produce wonderful footage.

Jeff Cook August 31st, 2015 09:44 AM

Guys thanks alot for all the info. I usually shoot with 3 cameras so If I buy just one c100 it is for sure going to be noticeable. I bought 3 6ds so that the cuts could be seamless. I do have to fix a little exposre at times but that is it. Reason why I would like a c100 is because I do documentary and promotional videos too, and the xlrs will really come in handy...I don't need to tell you guys that you already know. I will have to do some more research on the c cup and if the 3000 is more worth it.....the wife will agree lol.

Jeff Cook August 31st, 2015 10:37 AM

Also, can you use 128gb sd cards in the c100? or can you only use up to 64gb cards?

Jim Andrada August 31st, 2015 01:10 PM

I'm using 128GB cards in my Mk I

Haven't come close to filling them up yet. I have the camera set to write to both cards in parallel.

Gary Huff August 31st, 2015 01:17 PM

128GB will get you around 12 hours of recording. Highly doubt you'll ever top that off, unless you're doing some sort of "brute-force" timelapse.

Jim Andrada August 31st, 2015 01:42 PM

I already had a few of the 128GB cards so I re-purposed a couple of them. I think 32GB or 64GB would be adequate (or maybe a little more than adequate!)

Jeff Cook August 31st, 2015 02:16 PM

Thanks again for all your advice. It looks for now that I may purchase the c100. I wish I could get 2 so that they will match but maybe in a few more weddings I can buy a second one. Again, thanks for the suggestions and info.

Jim Andrada August 31st, 2015 05:39 PM

Good luck. Let us know how you like it.