DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   C200 or 5D mkvi with C-Log to complement C100 mkii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/534280-c200-5d-mkvi-c-log-complement-c100-mkii.html)

Hakob Hakobyan July 4th, 2017 11:34 AM

Re: C200 or 5D mkvi with C-Log to complement C100 mkii

Ok guys so my situation has changed a little bit.

I have a C100 and as mentioned before, looking to get a good camera to match it and debating between C200 and 5D mk iv.

Before I used to use Ronin to get dynamic shots at weddings but realized it was too much of a fuss to carry it around.
I tried the Zhiyun gimbal with 70D and 40mm pancake lens on it and loved how much easier it was to use it.
Canon Dual Pixel AF and light handheld gimbal I think mix really really well for run and gun.

Now I think I will use C100 on Monopod/tripod and another camera on Zhiyun gimbal for dynamic shots.
Now my question is should I just stick and stay with 70D on Zhiyun gimbal or is it worth to upgrade to 5D mark iv?
I believe C200 goes out of equation if planning to use it on Zhiyun as might be too heavy/big for that handheld gimbal...

Now bottom line, 5D mk iv or 70D for zhiyun gimbal work?
Would getting 5D mk iv be a big improevement for video quality on gimbal (gonna shoot 1080p only in Canon upcoming 5D C-Log upgrade).
I am a little hesitant to get 5D mk iv because of so much complaining on-line about 5D mk iv as a video camera.
In my situation it seems like the best choice ironically…

P.S. a7s ii would be awesome on that gimal buy I think without Dual Pizel AF It will be useless on that gimbal.

Ade Towell July 4th, 2017 01:31 PM

for just using on a gimble I would consider the Sony a6300 - cheap as chips, over 13 stops dr, very good af (not quite Canon standard but not far off), wonderful 4k image. It has awful rolling shutter in 4k but that shouldn't be a problem on a gimble and is not an issue in 1080 - although it's the 4k image that is jaw droppingly good
The Canon dslrs you mention are so soft in 1080 compared to the c100 they won't cut very well together. Have used the a6300 with c100 and actually prefer the a6300 image but are fairly easy to match and have similar sharpness when you down res the 4k of the Sony

Noa Put July 4th, 2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

P.S. a7s ii would be awesome on that gimal buy I think without Dual Pizel AF It will be useless on that gimbal.
From what I have read the a7rII has a much better AF system but the problem might be more how you would match up color.

Noa Put July 4th, 2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ade Towell (Post 1934062)
for just using on a gimble I would consider the Sony a6300

I read many complaints about the a6300/6500 that the screen dims and becomes near impossible to see when using outdoor in full sun, maybe something worth considering?

Ade Towell July 4th, 2017 01:44 PM

yes I keep reading this but I see very little dimming on my copy in 4k - I am using slog with gamma display assist on and it seems ok to me. Admittedly I hardly use the screen and haven't done outside in bright daylight, (I prefer the evf especially with my fading eyes) but that is an issue for most camera screens

Hakob Hakobyan July 4th, 2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ade Towell (Post 1934062)
for just using on a gimble I would consider the Sony a6300 - cheap as chips, over 13 stops dr, very good af (not quite Canon standard but not far off), wonderful 4k image. It has awful rolling shutter in 4k but that shouldn't be a problem on a gimble and is not an issue in 1080 - although it's the 4k image that is jaw droppingly good
The Canon dslrs you mention are so soft in 1080 compared to the c100 they won't cut very well together. Have used the a6300 with c100 and actually prefer the a6300 image but are fairly easy to match and have similar sharpness when you down res the 4k of the Sony

Hi Ade,

Thanks for feedback.
I wonder though weather the C-Log upgrade of Canon 5D mk iv would solve the 1080P softness issue...

You guys can see I am so tempted to get the 5D mkiv but only because of video AF.
I will be honest though, I have never used any other manufacturer video AF.
One thing I am sure of of though. I will rent another camera in addition to 5D mk iv to see how they compare! (A Sony or a GH5...).
This time I am not going to make a blind purchase!

Noa Put July 4th, 2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder though weather the C-Log upgrade of Canon 5D mk iv would solve the 1080P softness issue...
Log footage doesn't increase resolution, the only way that I heard of to increase resolution on the mark 3 was when you shot in raw using a hack.

Steve Burkett July 5th, 2017 01:44 AM

To be honest I'd say you'd be better of going for the 5D Mark IV. It has the best AF and has c-log. Better colour match to the C100. Yes the HD is soft compared to the C100 but you have cropped 4K for limited use where necessary as a bonus. Yes you can pick up a Sony or a GH5. Some can handle the demands running a dual camera system can bring. I just think it'll be too much hassle for your setup. As you'd be running the 5D as a B camera, the softer HD is perhaps less an issue than if serving as an A camera.

Of course there are complaints about it. Take my GH5, loads of complaints about AF and justified too. But that hasn't stopped me from using it successfully.

Just reading your comments, I think you really want to go for the 5D, but are just being scared off my internet chatter. Don't be.

Hakob Hakobyan July 5th, 2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1934078)
To be honest I'd say you'd be better of going for the 5D Mark IV. It has the best AF and has c-log. Better colour match to the C100. Yes the HD is soft compared to the C100 but you have cropped 4K for limited use where necessary as a bonus. Yes you can pick up a Sony or a GH5. Some can handle the demands running a dual camera system can bring. I just think it'll be too much hassle for your setup. As you'd be running the 5D as a B camera, the softer HD is perhaps less an issue than if serving as an A camera.

Of course there are complaints about it. Take my GH5, loads of complaints about AF and justified too. But that hasn't stopped me from using it successfully.

Just reading your comments, I think you really want to go for the 5D, but are just being scared off my internet chatter. Don't be.

Hi Steve,
Yes, you got my situation pretty spot on actually!
There might be better camera deals out there but in my situation I think 5D mkiv makes most sense to avoid changing ecosystems and the costs that come with it.
There is so much negative talk about Canon but somehow their cameras still sell the best. There is more to cameras than specs.
Reliability and ease of use in the field trump pure image quality when doing doc work for me every single time.

There is just 2 more alternatives in the Canon ecosystem though.
I could get a C200 that would have the same great AF but my concern is it would look ridiculous on a Zhiyun Crane. Theoretically, if I put pancake lens on C200 Zhiyun crane should easily handle it but I couldn’t balance my C100 on it as the plate threaded hole was too much at the front and through the camera off balance when mounted on the gimbal.

Ade Towell July 5th, 2017 02:59 PM

you won't be able to fly the c200 on the Zhiyun - too big and heavy - you'll need one of the 2 handle gimbals like the Ronin or if you can afford it I'd recommend the Letus Helix

Ben Moore July 5th, 2017 03:02 PM

With current pricing as follows (B&H)

C100 Mk II $3499
5D MK IV $3299
C200 $7499

In my opinion it makes the most logical and economical sense to match the C100 MK II with the C100 MK II

Hakob Hakobyan July 5th, 2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ade Towell (Post 1934097)
you won't be able to fly the c200 on the Zhiyun - too big and heavy - you'll need one of the 2 handle gimbals like the Ronin or if you can afford it I'd recommend the Letus Helix

I have The Ronin plus Ready Rig vest system but don't bother taking to weddings, too big.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Moore (Post 1934098)
With current pricing as follows (B&H)

C100 Mk II $3499
5D MK IV $3299
C200 $7499

In my opinion it makes the most logical and economical sense to match the C100 MK II with the C100 MK II

I get your logic fully but after trying the Zhiyun gimbal with 70D on it I realized that I used that setup quite a lot (probably for 30% of total shots, with the other 70% with C100 on Monopod), whereas with the bigger Ronin gimbal sometimes I would not even bother taking to weddings.
That Zhiyun experience made me realize that it is an amazing tool and I just want a better camera than 70D to go on it.
The only camera that has better video quality with canon AF is Canon 5D mk iv.

I think I am gonna rent the 5D mk iv this weekend and if nothing goes wrong I will buy it after the weekend

Scott Hepler July 7th, 2017 09:26 AM

I use a 5dmk4 and a c100II plus a sony Fs5 and with the right custom pic profile on the sony they match up well. I am a Canon guy forever but I have had the sony since it came out and I really like it. I use my canon lenses most of the time, and the camera is very versatile, great picture, ND, wonderful slow-mo, etc. The kit lens does allow for stabilization, face detection, AF and it is pretty good low light, not great but with my canon lenses and a metabones booster I have no problems as it gains a stop on all my lenses. It is super 35 so DOF is better than the 5d's. I also am very happy with matching the DJI osmo+ for most of my gimbal work. I have a full steady cam but they osmo when shot 4k and downsampled is really good. Just a different thought.