DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Adapter for using Nikon lenses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/406184-adapter-using-nikon-lenses.html)

Paul Frederick September 16th, 2009 07:57 PM

Adapter for using Nikon lenses?

I have an EX1 and a Letus Extreme and a bunch of manual Nikon lenses (most F2.8 or lower). Is there an adapter for the 7D that will allow me to use these lenses until I can scrape together more cash to buy Canon lenses?

Any links to where I can find one would be great!

Chris Barcellos September 16th, 2009 08:21 PM

Yes. I bought mine on EBAY for about $16 apiece for the 5D, will be same for 7D

Winston Ashley September 16th, 2009 08:54 PM

YEs I got mine off ebay too. I use nikon lenses on my canon 5dmk2 with some great results. I like the manual focus better on the nikon. Also look into getting the zacuto v-finder. It is essential on the 5d with manual focus nikon lenses.

Mark Holmes September 16th, 2009 11:28 PM

Do you mean that the KAWA adaptors from Ebay designed for the 5 MKII (I have three) will work on the 7d as well? Is there not a difference in adaptors as there is with the EF vs EF-S lenses? Just want to be clear, as I am hoping to use those on my coming 7d...

Paul Frederick September 17th, 2009 05:54 AM

WOW, it's great to know there may be a solution for me, and pretty inexpensive too!

I just checked Ebay and found this:
Nikon Lens to Canon EOS EF 5D 40D 50D 1000D 1Ds Adapter

Does that sound right? A bunch of adapters came up, and they look the same! It does say EOS EF so it should work right?

Thanks, this is great news!

Kin Lau September 17th, 2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Holmes (Post 1362957)
Do you mean that the KAWA adaptors from Ebay designed for the 5 MKII (I have three) will work on the 7d as well? Is there not a difference in adaptors as there is with the EF vs EF-S lenses? Just want to be clear, as I am hoping to use those on my coming 7d...

All EF lenses will fit on any EF-S mount camera, so any lens that will mount on a 5D will mount just fine on a 7D.

It's the reverse that's not true, you cannot mount EF-S lens on a EF mount camera.

Bill Pryor September 17th, 2009 09:26 AM

I wonder if those cheap adapters will work with my ancient pre-AI Nikkors.

Chris Barcellos September 17th, 2009 10:11 AM

Bill:

Non AI are fine. It is possible that some of the flanges may need to be removed. I have had to do it to a couple. I have also adapted my old Pentax K mounts, using another adapter.

Here is a discussion at Flicker about adapting:

Flickr: Discussing Lens review: Nikon 50mm f1.4 s-auto non-AI in EOS Cameras and Manual Lenses

Bruce Foreman September 17th, 2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1364650)
Bill:

Non AI are fine. It is possible that some of the flanges may need to be removed. I have had to do it to a couple.

Chris, are you referring to "flanges" or "lugs" on AI or AI-S lenses that engage a spring loaded "follower" ring or tab on the Nikon camera mount?

I sent back two of the Kawa adapters that would not take the AI-S Nikkor I have because the AI "flange" or "lug" did not fit all the way into the large groove on the Kawa adapter. The groove on the Kawa adapter was not deep enough. A non AI lens would have fit just fine.

A member of this forum sent me one of his adapters (looked exactly like the Kawa's I had but the groove was deep enough so the AI-S lens fit perfectly.

How did you "remove" the "flange"?

Bruce Foreman

Chris Barcellos September 17th, 2009 01:38 PM

The only thing I have had to remove on one or two of the Nikons were on my non-AI (1970s) version Nikon lenses. Some these had a protrusion that I think was a protector of the rear lens element for those of us who set the lenses down with out covers. I called that a flange... Those are made of very light metal that a I cut away with tin snips.

With two Pentax K lenses I adapted using diferent adapters, I had to cut away similar flanges, and the prong that activate the automatic aperature close down at the time of exposure, that effectily made the lense less useful on a Pentax K camera, which I don't use anyway.

Benjamin Eckstein October 25th, 2009 10:04 AM

So are people happy with the cheaper Nikon to EOS adapters. I bought one (maybe 18 bucks) from my local camera shop and there was so much slop in it that it is useless. B+H has one for about 270 bucks. That's a lot, but if it allows me to use my Nikon lens collection then it saves me money.

What adapter models are people using and happy with?

B

Jim Jolliffe October 26th, 2009 10:30 AM

I second that about spending more and getting a better quality one. Better for focus as well as some of the cheaper ones focus past infinity or can't reach infinity.

The best 2 brands I found were Novoflex and CameraQuest.