DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon H1, A1 with 7D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/466854-canon-h1-a1-7d.html)

Bruce S. Yarock October 31st, 2009 04:03 AM

Canon H1, A1 with 7D?

Now that I've done some experimenting and testing with the 7d, I want to try to get a closer "look" match when intercutting camera footage. I did a narratiive shoot last sunday, and had the main camera (a1) with the letus extreme(Outside pool scene, beautifull light, beautifull woman, and blues sky....the letus is hard to beat.) I set the 7d up along side and double shot several scenes. While the 7d looked really nice, it will take some work to make them match. I hadn't thought of this before i bought the camera, but now I realize i could use it for a 2 camera shoot along with the letus.

Earler this morning, I downloaded the Marvel 'flat' prest for the 7d, but haven't tried it yet. My favotite H1 and A1 prests aren't flat either, so i'll probably have to go back and take another look at them also. I might post the settings for the h1 prest I use most, and see if anyone can suggest anything.

I'd like to hear anyone's experience with a simliar set up.
Bruce Yarock

Michael Curtis October 31st, 2009 02:32 PM

Me too!

I recently bought a 7D to use for shooting weddings. I was planning on purchasing a Canon A1s to use together for the two camera work at the ceremony. Any tips on how to help these cameras work well together?
Bruce, do you have this video up to view anywhere? Also, what is the "Marvel 'flat' prest"? Thanks!
Michael

Bruce S. Yarock October 31st, 2009 06:42 PM

Michael,
I've shot a lot of weddings and there's no way in the world I'd use it (7d) as a main camera. Too many variables, and only runs for 12 minutes. I would definately use it a specialty cam for more cinematic and beauty shots, and I'm sure it will cut well together.
I primarily used my H1 and A1 together, and occasionally the Letus on one of them. The 7D should be fun for weddings because it's light and shoots in much lower light than the letus.

Sorry I don't have anything up yet. We edit in adobe CS3, and the clips have to be transcoded in neoscene before we can bring them into the nle. My girlfriend does all the editing and she's backed up a couple of projects. We haven't had the time to fool around with the 7d stuff I've shot yet, but hopefully soon. Most is test footage anyways.
here's the link to some of the presets.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...n-your-7d.html

Good luck
Bruce yarock

Erik Andersen November 1st, 2009 03:18 AM

5d & xh-a1

Slightly off topic since we have 5D's not 7D's. We have intercut 5D footage with XH-A1, for an example see this video:

The only problem is the "flutter" you can see from the 30p to 24p conversion.

The primary cam was the XH, with the 5D for details, beauty shots as you mention Bruce. It's a great approach, and with 24p on the 7D, it will work beautifully. Others have said the footage looks too dissimilar, but i haven't noticed that. The XH produces a beautiful image, just make sure your colour profiles match.

We now use the 5D exclusively for weddings. We don't find the 12 minute clip limit to be a problem at all. If you're recording sound continuously and shooting on two or three cams, the only issue is syncing. Pluraleyes takes care of that. And aside from the ceremony and speeches, most shots are 20 seconds at most.

Lloyd Ubshura November 3rd, 2009 10:49 PM

What an awesome video! I had the same question with incorporating my XHA1 with the 7D. I didn't really even notice ANY weird transitions.

J.J. Kim November 5th, 2009 09:33 AM

I will be using my 7D with A1s for the first time in the wedding tomorrow.
I am worrying about color so much because I can get them very close at post.
Workflow is more that I am worried about, dealing with .mov file converting, etc.
As for the image, I would use some preset for the A1s, though.
I shot a short Save the Date with 7D (default color preset) with A1s (no preset) looked very different.
I think there was a thread talking about flattening the 7D's color which could help.

JJ