DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Shooting at Skywalker ranch for Lucasfilm with the 5DmkII and 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/469317-shooting-skywalker-ranch-lucasfilm-5dmkii-7d.html)

Phil Bloom December 11th, 2009 09:31 PM

Shooting at Skywalker ranch for Lucasfilm with the 5DmkII and 7D

Read all about my adventure here:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Red Tails, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs | Philip Bloom

the blog details all gear used including lenses.

Chris Barcellos December 11th, 2009 09:51 PM

Another nice job Phil...and thanks for showing these guys what the camera can do. I have been kind of tired of people dogging the camera, say it cant' be true HD, and its got low resolution, blah, blah, blah,,,,,,I am glad to hear the big boys are looking at it and liked it.

Steve Nelson December 11th, 2009 10:02 PM

What a fantastic opportunity Phil! We are at a pivotal crossroad in cinematography technology and you've had the great fortune to have a front row seat. Excellent imagery as always. I was just discussing this crossroad with a friend today who was lamenting the pros and cons of his 5D. I told him all we need now is to take the best of the EX-1 and the 5D for a price under $10k and watch them fly off the shelves. The Scarlet looks great but I think we could get there for less. Your work here obviously shows we're nearly there now. Good stuff!

Alvin Ang Teng Cheong December 11th, 2009 10:25 PM

Congratulations! Nice work and it must've been totally mind-blowing visiting Skywalker Ranch. I'm so impressed with what an experienced shooter and the 5Dmkii & 7D can do.

It's a little surreal but my only idea (until now) of Skywalker Ranch comes from the movie Fanboys (Fanboys (2008)). hahahaha

Keep up the good work Phil!

Jerry Porter December 11th, 2009 10:30 PM

WOW!!!!! What a fantastic moment in your life!!! Way to bring the good stuff when it was on the line!! So, to all the people that say the camera is junk or not a real video camera.... Ummmmm the guy who kinda started ALL of this... Thinks it's pretty cool when someone as talented as PB is behind the lens. Now I'm sure he could also do this with a flip cam, but the fact that he did it with a 7D gives me hope for my own lost creative soul....

Dutch Rall December 11th, 2009 10:42 PM

A wonderful story wonderfully told.

And your video is all the proof anyone should need.

Congratulations.

Jeffrey Butler December 11th, 2009 11:28 PM

Sweet.

Well done! The video was gorgeous. What an amazing place. You helped me make some gear purchases, too. While I have the IndieSlider, it's big. And heavy. And while longer, for lots of shots that "mini-track" seems to be enough.

Charles W. Hull December 11th, 2009 11:30 PM

Wonderful! My God I'd like to see that on the 40 foot screen.

The 5DII has an incredible advantage in the cockpit; it's a natural for the "Red Tails" shots.

Perrone Ford December 12th, 2009 12:00 AM

Lovely work as well Phil. And timely as well as this is the kind of thing I hope to be shooting by this time next year on the 7D.

I'd curious if you could comment on what lenses you shot with on this project.

And of course the $64k question. Given the potential for these folks to pull Canon into the fold, any thoughts on what they might like to see? We saw a Panavised F900, and I'm sure they will want to mount some serious glass on the Canons too. Not to mention seeing a little more bit rate for the in-cockpit action. I wonder if they might be able to light a fire...

Jon Fairhurst December 12th, 2009 01:22 AM

Beautiful footage - and one heck of a cool experience.

The fog is simply magical. One morning, about three months ago, my wife and I were driving along the Columbia River towards the coast just after sunrise on a clear day. The fog was hanging over the various wetlands, and the morning light made everything sparkle. Add in the rustic buildings and you've got the picture. We've taken that drive a number of times, but only once did we have those conditions. And, of course, my son had the camera a couple hundred miles away. I so wanted my camera, a couple of free hours, and some hip waders!

Anyway, the fog in your piece reminded me of that day. It was awesome that you were able to be there when the conditions were just right. Heck, it was awesome that you were invited to be there at all!

Phil Bloom December 12th, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler (Post 1459303)
Well done! The video was gorgeous. What an amazing place. You helped me make some gear purchases, too. While I have the IndieSlider, it's big. And heavy. And while longer, for lots of shots that "mini-track" seems to be enough.

indieslider do a small version too i believe. i have the big one and its too big and heavy. never use it!

Andy Tejral December 12th, 2009 08:49 AM

The video is beautiful but man oh man, those star timelapses are truly spectacular.

David Chapman December 12th, 2009 08:55 AM

Holy cow, Phil you lucky duck! HA! That's amazing, and of course, who else would they call about the 7D/5D/Ex1?

Awesome film! Super jealous, but awesome film. It is very inspiring as usual and makes me want to go out now and shoot, but alas, I am designing print pieces all day for Lakewood. Maybe tomorrow...

Pat Reddy December 12th, 2009 11:01 AM

Congratulations! Once again you have inspired and energized everyone who owns or is thinking of owning one of these cameras.

Pat

Shawn Wright December 12th, 2009 02:59 PM

Thanks so much for sharing this.

It was inspirational. I would be giddy as a child in a toy store, I imagine that is how you felt.

I get my 7D on Tuesday and am considering buying your DVD. Does the special Star Wars offer come off of the $135 price?

How big is the download?

Thanks again for all you do to help others learn these skills.

Shawn