DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   How to Setup your 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/470091-how-setup-your-7d.html)

Brandon Puet January 2nd, 2010 07:35 PM

Doesn't the video have a slight pause when you take a still?

Doug Marcum January 4th, 2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Puet (Post 1467240)
Doesn't the video have a slight pause when you take a still?

yep.......

Liam Hall January 5th, 2010 10:37 AM

*WARNING*

If you set-up your camera using the custom profiles as specified in this thread, be careful not to knock the main selector dial, as you may find you're shooting 720/50 when you wanted 1080/25! Yes, that did happen to me - luckily I spotted it before any major damage. In fact, since 720/50 is unusable on any shot with even a moderate amount of detail, I'd recommend not having it as a preset!

Alex Payne January 6th, 2010 06:48 PM

anyone care to help out a n00b with a quick question?

the presets mentioned above create a more "flat" look-- a dull look with, in my opinion at least, fewer colors all around. everything looks a little less shadowed and a little more single colored all the way through.
i don't understand how this can be considered helpful. isn't creating a less dynamic image not as good? i see that it's supposed to be better in post, but wouldn't color correcting with a better starting image still create a better final image? Once you take away that dynamic range and make everything more flat, even if you color correct, wouldn't it still look more flat?

Clearly i'm missing something here...
thanks a ton guys!

Mike Calla January 6th, 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Payne (Post 1468873)
anyone care to help out a n00b with a quick question?

the presets mentioned above create a more "flat" look-- a dull look with, in my opinion at least, fewer colors all around. everything looks a little less shadowed and a little more single colored all the way through.
i don't understand how this can be considered helpful. isn't creating a less dynamic image not as good? i see that it's supposed to be better in post, but wouldn't color correcting with a better starting image still create a better final image? Once you take away that dynamic range and make everything more flat, even if you color correct, wouldn't it still look more flat?

Clearly i'm missing something here...
thanks a ton guys!

We do this, because its gives more room/options/choices when colour correcting or grading later in post. (and it really really does)

If you have ever seen (real 35mm film) dailies they too look washed out and listless. Only after it’s been colour corrected does it look like what we know.

PS Music goes through a similar process, called "mastering". If you'd listen to your fav band before mastering they too would sound washed out and listless:)