DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   anyone having issues with the HDMI port? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/471847-anyone-having-issues-hdmi-port.html)

Marty Hudzik January 28th, 2010 12:13 PM

anyone having issues with the HDMI port?

I purchased hdmi mini adapter to hdmi so that I could use my existing 15" HDMI cable. It works but periodically the signal switches back to the LCD on the 7d and my HDMI monitor goes black. Then when I wiggle the conenction it comes back but it never seems really solid. So at this point either the HDMI mini adapter is not right or the port on the camera is not right. It just doesn't seem snug at all and I can't imagine relying on it during a shoot. Has anyone else had issues with this? Are you all using the official Canon cable or are you using others?

Thanks.

Dave Stewart January 28th, 2010 02:32 PM

Mine did the same thing. When I changed to another mini HDMI cable it worked fine. So I assume for me it was the cable.

Brian Brown January 29th, 2010 12:15 AM

I bought a pre-molded mini to regular HDMI from Newegg for $12. Works great, and no issues like you're experiencing. I wonder if your adapter is putting strain on the connection because of the extra weight of it all.

Marty Hudzik January 29th, 2010 09:45 AM

I have a pre-molded 6ft cable out for delivery via UPS. As soon as I get it and test I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks.

Marty Hudzik February 1st, 2010 10:32 AM

Received cable. Works much better than adapters. Only issue is it is only 6ft and may be too short for monitoring in certain situations. Since I already owned 15ft HDMI cables I was hoping the adapter route would work. I'll have to figure something else out.

Brian Brown February 1st, 2010 10:40 AM

Glad to hear it. Google "HDMI Coupler" and you should be able to extend your cable... probably beyond spec, but might be worth a try. Some online outlets they're only $2, so a minimal investment for a test.

HTH,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions

Matthew Renoir February 1st, 2010 12:32 PM

I ordered a cable from Monoprice, great deal, but I am not sure what's going on. The image on the TV flickers, sort of starts off normal, then gets progressively lighter. Anyone get this occurrence?

Jon Fairhurst February 1st, 2010 12:40 PM

Is your TV an LCD with variable backlight? If so, go into the menus and select a fixed backlight level. You might also have an ambient light sensor that changes brightness on the TV. You might disable that too.

Matthew Renoir February 3rd, 2010 07:08 PM

I am rocking a Plasma TV, using a 6' HDMI cable to view the images/video from the 7D. The flickering seems to show up right away, sort of stepping up in brightness, but is okay after I start flipping through content on the card. I don't doubt it is the cable causing the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. Thanks!