DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Buying 7d with equipment, need advice on lenses, and question about prices in Japan. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/471861-buying-7d-equipment-need-advice-lenses-question-about-prices-japan.html)

Alf Drage January 28th, 2010 04:02 PM

Buying 7d with equipment, need advice on lenses, and question about prices in Japan.

Im going to buy a video camera for my church. We have about 6000 dollars to spend.

I first thought about buying the JVC GY-100HM, but recently I have been checking out the 7D and its video functionality, and I like what I see.

The camera will primarly be used for shooting short clips where two people talk about whats happening in the church the next weeks. The locations will mostly be outdoors, but some will be in a studio indoors.
It will probably also be hired out to film weddings and stuff like that.
It will also be used for photography, but this comes in second line.

My questions is what do I need to buy aswell as the camera?

Here is what i've come up with so far:

Zacuto - DSLR Rapid Fire
Zakuto - Z-Finder
Benro tripod with Manfrotto video head
Rode NTG-2 (anyone know if it's possible to get this in Tokyo, Japan?)

So my biggest question is what kind of lenses do I need?
Here is what i've been thinking:

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 - Using that one for shooting during a church service, to get the whole congregation. Also nice to have for shooting stuff in the city. Costs 800 USD in Norway
Sigma 30mm f/1,4 - Thinking this to be the one I use primarily for shooting short clips where one or two persons talk to the camera, distance about 1-2m. I reckon I don't need zoom to do this. Costs 700 USD in Norway
Sigma 70-200mm f 2.8 - Sometimes I will be shooting the preacher from the back of the room. I'm thinking this lense will do the job. Costs 1100 USD in Norway.

Also when buying in Japan, would I be better off buying Canon lenses?

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've read countless threads, and many guides about the topic, starting to learn a bit, but still very new to this.
I started filming with video cameras in 2005, and have done quite a bit since that. But when it comes to lenses I dont have any experience.

Also I have a friend visiting Tokyo in Japan. Does anyone know what a Canon 7D, and the lenses i've mentioned costs in Tokyo?

Appreciate any help!

Jay Houser January 28th, 2010 05:16 PM

I would suggest replacing the Sigma 10-20mm with a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 since it is a constant aperture lens. The Sigma variable aperture will require exposure changes at changes in focal lengths.

The Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS would be superior to the Sigma. Image Stabilization at these focal lengths is critical.

Brian Luce January 28th, 2010 06:15 PM

Don't forget to budget for audio, especially since you're doing interviews. I suggest the Tascam DR100 recorder and Plural Eyes software --hopefully you have either Sony Vegas or FCP. The 7d's on board audio is a joke.

Jason McDonald January 28th, 2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf Drage (Post 1478642)
Also when buying in Japan, would I be better off buying Canon lenses?

Are you going to be in Japan when you make these purchases?

Alf Drage January 29th, 2010 03:28 AM

Jay: Wouldn't it be much more exspensive with IS?

Brian: I was thinking about the RODE-NTG2, that would do the job or?

Jason: No, a friend is buying it for me.

Andy Wilkinson January 29th, 2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Houser (Post 1478680)
The Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS would be superior to the Sigma. Image Stabilization at these focal lengths is critical.

I agree that's a great lens (I'm borrowing one for a month from my mate - as he does want to lug it and his 5D MkII back to his native New Zealand where he's returning on holiday).

Several things for you to consider about it though.

1. It is VERY heavy and pretty big too. Using it on my 7D has cemented the idea that I'd rather buy the Canon 70-200 F4 IS lens - as I'm more likely to carry that around and actually use it.
2. As mentioned, IS is critical, especially on the longer lenses, whatever one you get unless you're sure 100% of the time you'll be on a tripod.
3. Be aware that the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS is being superceeded by an improved model that should appear in a couple of months (maybe the price of the current version will drop a little?)
4. I've read in many on-line reviews - not done enough yet with the borrowed lens to confirm it - that the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS is really optimised for full frame cameras such as the 5D Mk II and that is not such a stunner on the 7D, where the aforementioned F4 is often suggested as being superior and sharper (may not matter much for video). However, for your indoor needs maybe you need to stick with F2.8.
5. Certainly the F4 IS version is a crackingly sharp lens (one of Canon's best tele zooms apparently) and, icing on the cake, is cheaper too.

Just some thoughts.

Ted Ramasola January 29th, 2010 04:25 AM

Like Brian said, You need a SEPARATE audio device to record decent sound. Pluging the rode or any mic for that matter into the 7D is not adequate.

From your description of the kind of work you and this camera for your church is suppose to do, AND taking into account you just started doing camera work in 2005, I do believe in all honesty that this is NOT the camera and solution you are looking for.

I have the 7D, and its not an easy setup even in very controlled environments.
I also have a lot of Video cameras like the JVC HD100 & HD200 among them.
I run a studio facility with 2 departments, one for events that handle work similar to what you described. And a corporate dept doing TV & corporate AVPs.

In this scenario, considering you and your work, I'd recommend a "conventional" camera.

Shinsuke Swope January 29th, 2010 04:57 AM

depends where you buy your 7D (link is body only)
If your friend can read Japanese, link him this site:

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000055429/

I'd expect to get dinged about 135000 yen at the very least... anything under that is a great deal.

Jon Braeley January 29th, 2010 07:04 AM

It would be helpful to know why your church is filming - is this for their website or for DVD or even Television broadcast? Also what do you edit with - your workflow should be considered when purchasing a camera.
Almost everyone believes that the equipment will be less expensive in Japan considering its the manufacturers home base. But this is not so. I am in Japan regularly and the largest retailer is Yodabashi with two enormous stores in Tokyo. In November I checked out the 7D just after I bought mine in the USA - in Japan it was $300 more than what I paid. I checked out a Nikon for my brother and it was $1,500 more than the B and H price. The lenses faired no better and most were slightly more than what you would pay at B and H.
One of the problems is the dollar to Yen rate which is horrible right now for visitors to Japan.

Jay Houser January 29th, 2010 07:04 AM

Canon 24-105mm IS lens test: YouTube - Canon 5d MKII Video Image Stabilization IS Lens Test with 24-105

Phil Bloom's 70-200mm IS test: Filming interviews with DSLRs & recording sound separately and how to sync the bloody lot up! Also the advantages of IS lenses for them. | Philip Bloom

Alf Drage January 29th, 2010 07:57 AM

Thanks for you replies.
The vidoes we shoot will be used on the website, and also viewed on a big screen during the church service.
For the most part I use premiere pro for editing. But I will not be the only one using the camera, so probably final cut aswell.

The reason that we buy the 7D is because we need a photocamera aswell as a videocamera. As we don't have money to buy both, we thought we could combine it.
But I am reconsidering now when I read what you say Ted.

So a RODE won't be good enough attached to the 7D?
Seems like a lot of hassle to record audio seperatly, and starting to sync them afterwards.

I live in Norway where the 7D body costs 2000 US. So I figured we could save some money there, and especially on the lenses.
But it mgiht not be a good idea considering how hard it will be to return if something breaks?

Ted Ramasola January 29th, 2010 08:20 AM

Alf,

What I posted back there was really a sincere advice to someone asking one. I strongly thought of where you are coming from and where you want to go.
With new technology coming out, its easy to get flamed up and excited about it.

Try to consider getting the JVC camera you mentioned, or the panasonic(HMC150,AG-HMC40) -OR go even cheaper with the canon VIXIA series which has cinegamma settings to give you a sorta filmic look, heck i shot this video using a very tiny sony CX100;
Batanes Islands http://exposureroom.com/getassetthum...ccbd34&size=sm

and this;

A day in ILOCOS SUR http://exposureroom.com/getassetthum...0a771d&size=sm

which stood up to relatively heavy color correction, which proves that its YOU that matters NOT the camera.

-AND THEN get a cheap DSLR with the savings you have, a DSLR which is just soso in video but great Photo.
Examples are nikon D5000 which has 720 24P video or the canon 500D with 720 30P. I have the D90 and D5000 and they produced great photos.
These are among the cheaper DSLRS in our arsenal and they can produce just a good image as the Nikon D200 or higher priced cams.

Brian Luce January 29th, 2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf Drage (Post 1478910)

So a RODE won't be good enough attached to the 7D?
Seems like a lot of hassle to record audio seperatly, and starting to sync them afterwards.
?

It's a good mic for what you're planning, a lot of people use it, but the problem is the camera's audio functions. No xlr and the levels are controlled automatically and the pre amping isn't so good. The whole thing is a disaster. That's why people use double system audio, which I happen to love. Syncing is easy if you get the Plural eyes software. One click and you're good to go, but it only works on FCP and Vegas at this time.

A conventional camera is certainly easier to use and far more efficient, but it's not nearly as powerful as a creative tool.

Brian Brown January 29th, 2010 05:43 PM

I concur with (another) Brian that double-system sound isn't at all that bad once you get used to it. On the upside, if you invest in a portable Zoom or Tascam, you can use it by itself for all sorts of things... VO sessions, "wild" sound-gathering, Foley work, etc.

And shooting events where you don't have to string XLR back to a camera is great, too. Put the recorder near(er) to the sound source (or sound board). Set it and forget it, then sync in post.

Dare I say, it's downright liberating!

I'm a Premiere Pro user (no PluralEyes), and even sych-ing manually is pretty easy. Head and tail slates are best. That little line on the waveform stands out every time.

Brian Luce January 29th, 2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Brown (Post 1479170)

Dare I say, it's downright liberating!

I agree, it's my favorite thing about the 7D. I think sound matters more than image, and I'm getting better sound than ever.

Sound (and glass) is great too in that compared to cameras, they hold their value.