DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Z Finder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/472068-z-finder.html)

Darin Holiday February 1st, 2010 09:19 AM

Z Finder?

I'm getting ready to fork over some money for a DLSR view finder. I like the Z Finder but I am looking for some input on this, recommendations please.

Thank you!!

Derek Reich February 1st, 2010 10:34 AM

Hi, Darin
You will no doubt receive many endorsements for the Z Finder.... I have heard nothing but glowing reviews. I ordered mine today following the return of the Hoodman Hoodloupe I had originally purchased. The Hoodloupe worked okay, but I wasn't crazy about how it mounted (overpriced rubber bands) and the idea of a finder which simply snaps on and off seems very attractive to me now after using the Hoodloupe. Another option is a Hoodloupe which mounts to a base plate (I forget at the moment who makes this) but you would then have to remove the whole plate if you wanted to use the camera viewfinder, plus you cannot use this option if you wanted to use the handgrip with extra battery on the 7D. So, while I haven't received it yet, I'm confident the Z-Finder is by far the best (although most costly) option. And as far as the price..... it will seem cheap in comparison to an important shot out of focus. I ordered mine from Abel Cine for $339, much better than Zacuto's own website, or B&H at the moment.

Burk Webb February 1st, 2010 10:55 AM

"you would then have to remove the whole plate if you wanted to use the camera viewfinder"

I just dumped my Hoodman for a Zfinder. I was using the Hoodman mounting plate from Redrock, not being able to easily remove the Hoodman was a real issue. Also I was having a real problem with the eye piece "creeping" in and losing its focus during use, was always adjusting the thing.

Really happy with the Zfinder so far, spendy but its really built and being able to just click it on and off is great.

Anyone want to buy a Hoodman loupe with a Redrock mount?

Jesse Haycraft February 1st, 2010 11:07 AM

If you don't wear glasses then there really isn't any reason to get the Z-Finder over the LCDVF. THe LCDVF also has some great reviews and costs $160 instead of $400. The only difference is that it doesn't have a diopter - thus, if you wear glasses, not the best choice.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2010 11:09 AM

I'm using a Hoodman with Bruce Dorn's IDC plate which *does* allow for fast and easy removal -- just so you know that a good solution exists for it. You can't go wrong with the Z-Finder though.

Darin Holiday February 1st, 2010 11:27 AM

Thanks guys!! Very helpful. Thanks Chris I have been a fan of your XL2 watchdog for many many years. Your site has been always been a favorite of mine!

Bruce S. Yarock February 1st, 2010 01:27 PM

I bought and returned the one sold by IDC. Very nice people and the viewfinder is solid, but has no magnification. What I really wanted was the one from Cavision with 6x manification, but it has no diopter for those of us with glasses. I like the z finder a lot. The only shortcomming is that there's no additional camera magnification while rolling, and it's still hard to judge focus on certain shots. If you're zoomed in on a subject, it's pretty easy, but when you're wide and things are moving it's harder. Right now, I think it's the best out there with a diopter and 3x mag.
Bruce Yarock

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2010 01:36 PM

Why not use the image magnification buttons on the camera? That's what I do.

Marty Hudzik February 1st, 2010 01:50 PM

Chris,
I think Bruce said their is no image magnification while "rolling" so I think he means once you start recording the magnification features are inactive. I agree with you though. I have several times tried focusing and thought I was in focus, then magnified to find out that I was off by a little. This was not obvious in the LCD but was obvious on a 1080P panel. So the magnify feature is a "huge" help but once you hit record, it's not an option anymore.

Derek Reich February 1st, 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1480165)
I'm using a Hoodman with Bruce Dorn's IDC plate which *does* allow for fast and easy removal -- just so you know that a good solution exists for it. You can't go wrong with the Z-Finder though.

While I loved the idea of the swing-away loupe to provide access to the camera's vf with this setup, this does not allow the use of the BG-E7 battery grip. Otherwise, I sure would have been interested in this one!

Bill Pryor February 1st, 2010 03:24 PM

I have the IDC solution and it's fine. I wanted to get the Cavision, which has a 52mm lens and great magnification, but no diopter. The Z-finder has a big lens and great magnification too, but I didn't like the idea of the double sticky tape frame and the snap-off situation, just my personal preference, not criticism of the finder itself. The IDC bracket is solid and you can even pick up the camera by it if you want. There's also a quick release version now so you don't have to remove the 2 thumbscrews entirely. What I really wanted was the Cavision lens, the Z-finder diopter and the IDC bracket.

Jesse Haycraft February 1st, 2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1480211)
I bought and returned the one sold by IDC. Very nice people and the viewfinder is solid, but has no magnification. What I really wanted was the one from Cavision with 6x manification

If by the "IDC" one you mean the LCDVF (I think that's the one they sell) then you must be mistaken. The LCDVF has 2x magnification, which is just below the Z-Finder's 3x.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2010 08:31 PM

Sorry, IDC refers to Bruce Dorn (one of Canon's Explorers of Light). The modified viewfinder he sells is indeed the Hoodman Loupe.

See iDC Photo Store - Specialty gear for the photographer

Bruce S. Yarock February 3rd, 2010 12:02 AM

Chris,
Marty is correct. I use the mag buttons all the time, but once you're rolling, they obviously don't work. While the Z finder is a real help, there are times that I can't tell if I'm right on or not. Monitors help.
Bruce Yarock