7D Overheating - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #31
Trustee

Like others have saids, I'd never trust this camera as my main camera at a non repeatable event, like a wedding.
And the more I think about it, I think that the direct hot sun is the worst culprit.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM   #32
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I've heard others have problems with direct sunlight on the LCD monitor - I suppose since it's a flat surface that area would conduct more heat radiation than the rest of the camera's curved surfaces. At any rate, if overheating is an issue than we should take steps to keep the camera cool (out of the sun, cold packs, reduce processor load, etc).

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM   #33
Trustee

I was thinking of using a small clip on umbrella...
Bruce Yarock
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #34
Tourist

Canon 7D Overheating Feedback

@John Mastrogiacomo

Camera Model: Canon 7D
Serial Number: #0420408362
Firmware version: 1.1.0
Extras: Zacuto Z-Finder, Canon BG-E7 Battery Grip with two batteries
Memory Card: Kingston 32GB | 133X
Tripod: Yes
Recording Format: 1080 30fps

Contact Info:
tadams@twistoflime.com
425-698-7773
Seattle, WA

Outside shooting: Yes
Were you in the sun or shade? Both

Ambient temperature, estimated humidity:
Camera was used under a variety of conditions. High 40's to 60 degrees. Rain and wind on some days, sunshine on a few others. Humidity range 40-80%.

My Canon 7D was used to record ten soccer games --on a tripod-- over a period of 2.5 months -- beginning in January. Temperatures for Jan and Feb were cool, cloudy and rainy at times with a breeze ranging from 5-25 m.p.h. on some days. Under these conditions the camera performed flawlessly. While recording soccer games the camera was stopped and restarted about 20-25 times over the course of 30 minutes. This was done whenever the action stopped for the whistle, an out of bounds ball or shortly after a goal was scored. At half-time the camera was turned off. This process was repeated for the second-half.

It wasn't until the sun came out on one recent March day, heating the outdoor temperature to 60 degrees, that I experienced the overheating icon after 20 minutes of use. There was very little breeze that day. The camera was in direct sunlight, no umbrella. After the overheating icon came on I let it run for a little longer, but eventually I decided to turn the camera off for a couple of minutes. After turning the camera back on to begin recording the high temperature warning came back on after only a couple of minutes of recording, which leads me to believe the Canon 7D probably needs a minimum of a half-hour out of the sun to dissipate the internal heat.

On another day when the sun was out and the temperature hit 60 degrees I successfully recorded a soccer game without any temperature warnings. The difference: the wind was blowing at about 15-25 m.p.h. On this day I was prepared to mount an umbrella to the tripod handle. However, the wind made it unsafe to do so and subsequently, unnecessary.
Tracy Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #35
Major Player

I've gotten the overheating error on my old 5DMK2 when I had it, and I got it a couple times recently on someone elses 7D. Never got it on my own 7D, though, and I wonder if it is in some way related to firmwares but I dont remember which firmware was in use each time it happened. To my recollection, I was always surprised by the circumstances of the overheating indicator as it was always in a situation that was not that hot (most recently it was in an airconditioned office building without many hot lights shooting 1080@24), whereas I've shot hot humid concerts rolling constantly for hours at a time and never seen the overheat indicator. I also wonder if the LCD brightness level has an effect as im sure it puts off a little bit of heat and is rather close to the rest of the internal components of the small camera.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #36
Trustee

The 5D Mark II will go baking hot before it eventually shuts down. Far hotter than the 7D can cope with.
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Has anyone downloaded the latest firmware 1.2.1 which is supposed to help the overheating issue? - and have you since experienced an overheating warning light? How much filming did you get in?

Have important interviews tomorrow, and have not given the camera a proper run out. I am using another two HD cameras as backup, but my plan is to have the 7D as the main camera for this.

PREVENTION?

Does anyone have any tips they could pass on? (ice packs on the battery side?)
If the camera overheats, how long does it usually take before it's back up and running, if cooled with an ice pack?)
Does taking the battery out and changing it make any difference?
Does applying an ice pack to a CF card, or changing the card ,make any difference?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Martin, the other day I was shooting for about 10 minutes outside in 80 degree heat and the warning light came on. the next day I applied the update to all three of my 7d's and am happy to report that I shot an outside ceremony on Saturday in similar heat and had no warning all day from any of the cams.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #39
Major Player

What they did was increase the point of warning and so it has to heat up even more before the warning turn on, could be bad since I've heard a few 5DM2 got fry from shooting all day, and so they lower the warning point when the 7D came out, and got complaints and so now they raise it. Can't win or lose.
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Nickle View Post
Martin, the other day I was shooting for about 10 minutes outside in 80 degree heat and the warning light came on. the next day I applied the update to all three of my 7d's and am happy to report that I shot an outside ceremony on Saturday in similar heat and had no warning all day from any of the cams.
That's really good to hear Chad, thanks. I think at least it's made us 7D owners more aware of switching off the camera when not using, and trained us to conserve battery power!
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #41
Major Player

The latest firmware extended the warning so be sure to update it, but if you are just going to use it as a B cam for wide shots then might as well not use it at all, use it as your main camera and don't be afraid since you have video camera as back up, just practice a habbit of turning the camera off when not in use, I've done that and have not got any overheating at weddings including ceremony, but summer is coming up in Texas and I'm sure I will have a few weddings outdoor and we will see.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #42
Trustee

7D still overheating!!!

This is ridicukous. It's overheating under really mild conditions. Indoors. ac, no more than 2 hours use. Shutting it down every now and then.Really f5rustrating.
I haven't installed the new firmware yet, but will do it tomorrow.
Has anyone resolved this problem? can canon service do anything to fix it?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #43
Major Player

Are you guys using the battery grip when overheating?

Ever since getting one to use on my T2i I've not seen any overheating warnings. I know some people still have, but using the grip seems to dramatically help with the issue. Curious if the 7D would benefit from this as well.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #44
Trustee

I just installed the new software and I'm running the camera right now. Let's see if it makes a difference.
Bruce Yarock
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #45
Major Player

Since installing the new firmware I've not had any overheating warnings.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it does make a difference.,

I shot with the 7D on sat and sun, about 4 hours each day (in bursts of 30 mins) at it was very hot (well, hot for scotland)

No battery grip, dont know if that helps further or not,.
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD