DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Are DSLRs a valid way to shoot professional video? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/473775-dslrs-valid-way-shoot-professional-video.html)

Jon Fairhurst March 8th, 2010 09:22 PM

Maybe I'll paint blue and red wavy lines on my house, just to freak out imaging experts. :)

Ted Ramasola March 9th, 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1496812)
Alister,

It's a shame that the EX1 doesn't capture the beautiful blue and red lines that were painted on those homes.

;) ;) ;)

ROFL!! -thanks for giving me my first crack up of the day!

Alister Chapman March 9th, 2010 10:06 AM

I'm amazed that no one has come up with a replacement optical low pass filter for any of the Canons. For astronomy applications you can replace the Ir cut filter with one that let's through a broader spectrum. Until the aliasing is sorted out with a new optical LP filter the only types of shot these cams are suitable for is shallow DoF faces. Even the you see aliasing in hair, teeth and clothing. You can't fix it in post as the image is recorded full of moire. You could use some light diffusion in front of the lens to soften the image, but the amount needed will vary according to the focal length and aperture. What's neede is a behind the lens diffuser or LP filter.

Ted Ramasola March 9th, 2010 10:11 AM

What is the math behind this that instead of rendering thin lines of black over whit for instance into a mish mash of grey it introduces this bluey greeny rainbow pattern?
Its not just dslr cmos but other dedicated cmos consumer video cameras, like the sony hd1000 shoulder mounted camera?

Brian Luce March 11th, 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1497051)
Until the aliasing is sorted out with a new optical LP filter the only types of shot these cams are suitable for is shallow DoF faces.

Most of the people who own this camera don't share this sentiment.

Brian Brown March 12th, 2010 12:14 AM

Agreed, Brian. 85% of this video is from my 7D. Lot's of shots of bricks and straight lines.
YouTube - Downtown Longmont Event: Girls, Get your Spring On!

Is it perfect video? No. Is it a horrible mass of moire and aliasing. I don't think so. Even on the native files. Did the client complain about any image-quality issues? Not once. In fact, they loved it. And they were amazed I was able to grab all of that b-roll in a couple of afternoons. I don't think I could have done it with a big video cam. And I certainly would have attracted a LOT more attention shooting downtown.

Corey Benoit March 12th, 2010 01:19 AM

i agree, the 7d is an amazing piece of hardware, and i love mine!

Brian Luce March 12th, 2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1498486)
i agree, the 7d is an amazing piece of hardware, and i love mine!

Alister does raise an interesting point: the feasibility of adding an OLPF. I didn't realize it's something you could conceivably jury rig to a 7D.

Liam Hall March 12th, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1497051)
I'm amazed that no one has come up with a replacement optical low pass filter for any of the Canons. For astronomy applications you can replace the Ir cut filter with one that let's through a broader spectrum. Until the aliasing is sorted out with a new optical LP filter the only types of shot these cams are suitable for is shallow DoF faces. Even the you see aliasing in hair, teeth and clothing. You can't fix it in post as the image is recorded full of moire. You could use some light diffusion in front of the lens to soften the image, but the amount needed will vary according to the focal length and aperture. What's neede is a behind the lens diffuser or LP filter.

All camearas make compromises in design and functionality. The bottom line is, you can produce exceptional images with this funny little camera, images you simply can't produce with a camcorder.

Perrone Ford March 12th, 2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1498681)
images you simply can't produce with a camcorder.

I'll completely disagree with that. But I will agree that you can't create them with a camcorder at anywhere near the price of these cameras. Though there isn't a DSLR available at ANY price that can provide what a EX1 can out of it's SDI port.

So there ya go.

Carlo Zanella March 12th, 2010 11:49 AM

I agree

"Though there isn't a DSLR available at ANY price that can provide what a EX1 can out of it's SDI port. "

I totally agree with you on that. I just finished Episode 4 of the The Santa Fe TV Show.
EX-1 and 7D are now side-to-side almost in every shoot. I have learned to match quite well the look the 7D with the EX-1. The definition and flexibility of the Sony is still unmatched by any HDSLR, in my opinion. And the Sony can provide you with beautiful shallow DOF as well, just have to work differently. Again, 7D great creative tool, EX1, great all around camera, still unbeaten at that price range.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Liam Hall March 12th, 2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1498694)
I'll completely disagree with that.

You'd have to use a lens adapter on the EX1 to do the type of shots I'm talking about - which is so last year...

The EX1 is a great camera for the money, no doubt. The 7D can get great images, no doubt either.

Perrone Ford March 12th, 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1498824)
You'd have to use a lens adapter on the EX1 to do the type of shots I'm talking about - which is so last year...

I am not talking about an EX1, and I am not talking about using an adapter. There are numerous cameras with sensors the size of the 7D.

Liam Hall March 12th, 2010 05:21 PM

Perrone, half the people in this thread are talking about the EX1, I mentioned camcorders. There aren't numerous camcorders with a sensor the size of a 7D and you can't slap a Canon 85mm f1.2 or a Canon 45mm T/S lens on just any old camera - that's what I'm talking about...

Perrone Ford March 12th, 2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam Hall (Post 1498871)
Perrone, half the people in this thread are talking about the EX1, I mentioned camcorders. There aren't numerous camcorders with a sensor the size of a 7D and you can't slap a Canon 85mm f1.2 or a Canon 45mm T/S lens on just any old camera - that's what I'm talking about...

Ahh yes, very true.