DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Manfrotto 561bhdv Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474596-manfrotto-561bhdv-question.html)

Raymond Tsang August 31st, 2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lavender (Post 1564611)
Also, 1 more question. It'll be an outdoor wedding in mid-afternoon (albeit early fall). I've been looking for an excuse to rent a Z-Finder. Would the 561BHDV + Z-Finder be a totally useless/awkward combo?

You don't need a 501 head. We've used the 561bhdv as-is and it works fine. Just spray some wd-40 on the ball base and it pans and tilts like butter :)

The z-finder is an invaluable tool and takes out alot of guessing when it comes to exposing and color in strong daylight. It's worth every penny.

The z-finder will also help with stabilizing your shots by adding an extra point of contact. We've eliminated one tripod due to this fact. Hope this helps David.

Raymond Tsang August 31st, 2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1560330)
The heads are different. The 561bhdv looks like a 701hdv minus the fluid panning while the 561b looks like small 501 with a 577 adapter on the top. Like Raymond mentioned, their locking mechanisms are different. The 561bhdv has a one like a 501/503 type while the 561b has one like the 577 adapter.

Everything from the below the headis the same.

Hey Randy, you said you use a 501 head with your monopod? With the already fluid base of the monopod, are you still able to take advantage of the pan/tilt head?

David Lavender August 31st, 2010 12:41 PM

Thanks, Raymond. I just needed a little nudge to go over the edge and make the purchase. I appreciate your input.

Michael Curtis September 2nd, 2010 10:25 AM

Tilt lock/ ball joint lock on 561bhdv?

I just purchased the 561bhdv to use with my 7D for use in tight spaces and I wasn't expecting the monopod to tilt so easily (I guess I didn't do enough research!). Is there a way to lock the ball joint so that the monopod doesn't tilt so easily? Or, do you find that you can get steady footage holding the monopod? I did tighten the base using an allen wrench but that's about it so far. Thanks for your input!
Michael

Michael and Tricia Films

Raymond Tsang September 2nd, 2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Curtis (Post 1565405)
I just purchased the 561bhdv to use with my 7D for use in tight spaces and I wasn't expecting the monopod to tilt so easily (I guess I didn't do enough research!). Is there a way to lock the ball joint so that the monopod doesn't tilt so easily? Or, do you find that you can get steady footage holding the monopod? I did tighten the base using an allen wrench but that's about it so far. Thanks for your input!
Michael

Michael and Tricia Films

Hey Michael - I'm the opposite as you. I try to get my base as loose as possible to allow for maximum flexibility of maneuvering, panning, dips, ect. For me at least, stability is achieved by keeping the camera close to the body; one hand on the focus ring and the other on the monopod handle.

Because the monopod comes shipped so stiff, we've loosened the joint and sprayed wd-40 on the ball to get it nice and smooth.

Randy Panado September 3rd, 2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Tsang (Post 1564666)
Hey Randy, you said you use a 501 head with your monopod? With the already fluid base of the monopod, are you still able to take advantage of the pan/tilt head?

Yup!

BTW, there is new 561bhdv-1 monopods. The lower base is now red.

John Friedman October 14th, 2011 10:07 PM

Re: Manfrotto 561bhdv Question

Count me amongst those who have lubed the ball at the base. Just purchased it recently and was really annoyed with the friction that was causing the ball to pop and rub while maneuvering the monopod. A small dose of WD-40 seems to have cleared up the problem so far. Wonderful tool now!

Chris Westerstrom October 18th, 2011 02:15 PM

any owners have any trouble with the little feet at the bottom?

mine have no resistance any more, so they are pretty much worthless, I screwed the ball at the bottom but that wasn't the cause, it's almost like the little hook thing is worn out but i find it strange as it's only carried the weight of DSLR cameras.

John Friedman October 19th, 2011 10:37 PM

Have you tried contacting Manfrotto for warranty service?