DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What are you using to record audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475272-what-you-using-record-audio.html)

Nicholas Tran March 21st, 2010 12:11 PM

What are you using to record audio?

I'm looking to find a audio system to use with 7D. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

Looking for something under the $1000 range.

Bill Pryor March 21st, 2010 01:59 PM

I'm using the Zoom H4N. Good quality, solidly built and only about $300. The XLR inputs are the convertible kind that also take 1/4", and if you use 1/4" it automatically goes from mic to line mode. Very clean preamps, and you can record 4 channels at once--for instance, two different mics in via XLR and use the recorder's own mics for ambient sound. I use different shotgun and cardioid mics for dialog and a Sennheiser wireless lav on occasion.

Nicholas Tran March 22nd, 2010 10:21 AM

Thanks Bill,

I took a look at that briefly. Sounds like great value!

Tony Davies-Patrick March 22nd, 2010 11:02 AM

For sound recording (mainly with the 5D) I also use the Zoom H4 plus two SONY WRT & WRR UHF Pro Radio/wireless systems consisting of two WRR receivers and two WRT transmitters plus a various selection of Sony lapel mics and Sony DC78 Powering modul.

A good basic guide to buying sound equpiment can be found here (scroll down page to Personal Microphones, Radio Mics, Gun mics etc):

http://www.urbanfox.tv/articles/came...cessories.html

Alan Halfhill March 22nd, 2010 11:31 AM

Audio

Sennheiser Wireless. $500
JuicedLink 211 Mixer $130 eBay
JuicedLink JL-DN101 AGC defeat adapter. $180

Sylus Harrington March 22nd, 2010 12:56 PM

Those of you using H4n - do you connect this to the 7D? Or are you using it as a secondary audio source and syncing?

Bryan McCullough March 22nd, 2010 01:30 PM

I use a Sony PCM-D50. I probably would have selected the Zoom just for the XLR inputs (I use a Beachtek with my PCM-D50) but I already had the PCM-D50 and it records some pretty sweet audio so I've been using it.

Sync in post.

Brian Luce March 22nd, 2010 04:32 PM

Tascam DR100

Same price as Zoom, separate level controls, way better battery system, peak warning light, coherent manual!!!!

Jeremy Pevar March 22nd, 2010 04:37 PM

Fostex FR2-LE

I am using a Fostex FR2-LE. Its definitely pricier than the Zoom, but seems more solidly constructed. Also, the pre-amps are great.

Bruce S. Yarock March 23rd, 2010 03:28 AM

I just got a Zoom h4n and the sound is excellent. The manual is terrible, but what I'm most dissapointed about is the lack of level control for each channel seperately ( unless I'm missing something).
Bruce Yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick March 23rd, 2010 04:10 AM

I actually use the H4 rather than the H4n (both are fairly similar although the 'n' version offers a few more improved options). For those of you new to the Zoom H4 controls here is a good review & description on this recorder:

Review: Zoom H4 Handy Recorder - O'Reilly Media

And another full H4 review:

Zoom H4 Handy Recorder [REVIEWED by me] - Audio - Forums - www.atomicmpc.com.au

Sylus, I use the Zoom as a seperate source and sync in post. This also allows you to continue to use the camera's own internal mic as a guide during the later editing stages, or even to connect another external mic direct to the camera while still using the Zoom's own twin mics plus extra mics connected via the XLR ports. Plenty of options.

Bruce S. Yarock March 23rd, 2010 04:12 AM

Tony,
Am I missing something or does the H4n not allow independent level control over the two xlr inputs?
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock March 23rd, 2010 04:21 AM

I found the answer to my question. Apparently you can't do it.

Bruce Yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick March 23rd, 2010 11:55 AM

Here is quick look at the H4 for those of you who are still undecided between this and the latest H4n (waiting for the guy in the video to toggle through to his favourite affects track is a bit annoying, but at least this short clip shows you the basic working modes of the recorder):

YouTube - zoom h4 recorder review

And another for all you southern bells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH2ct-GJvK8&NR=1

Brian Luce March 23rd, 2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1504014)
Tony,
Am I missing something or does the H4n not allow independent level control over the two xlr inputs?
Bruce Yarock

AFAIK you can't. That's why I exchanged my Zoom for the Tascam.

One thing also that bugged me about the Zoom was the musician feature like metronome.

Sean Seah March 24th, 2010 12:23 AM

I use the zoom H4n plus Senny MKE400. The Senny is sensitive and pretty noisy due to the AGC. However I use it for events so I'll have to test out the manual gain settings. Oh yes, with the manual gain for 5D I will try to go the dual recording plus input from the zoom with the cable below.

DSLR, PINKNOISE AUDIO CABLE, CANON 5d mk11, CANON AUDIO CABLE, -25DB AUDIO CABLE

Zoom H4n works very well but the lack of indepedant levels setting is a setback. Esp when I have one channel from a line feed and the other from the wireless Senny G2. the other thing is the battery life is horrendous in my opinion. It takes only 2-3hrs to juice out the unit. We have to change fresh batteries in the middle of wedding shoots. I'm considering the TASCAM or Marantz 620 too.

Other than that I get pretty good audio with the H4n. It has phantom pwr and rocks with the AKG3000B + Portabooth combo.

Check out transom.com for their great reviews.

Bruce S. Yarock March 24th, 2010 12:37 AM

brian,
How easy is it to adjust ands use the independent level controls while rolling?
Bruce Yarock

Brian Luce March 24th, 2010 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1504490)
brian,
How easy is it to adjust ands use the independent level controls while rolling?
Bruce Yarock

Easy. It's two separate mechanical dials and they're recessed just enough and have the right amount of resistance so they won't get accidentally moved out of adjustment.

Bruce S. Yarock March 24th, 2010 01:47 PM

I called B+H, got a return authorization for the Zoom. The Tascam 100 will be here Friday.
Thanks, Brian.
Bruce Yarock

Mike Peterson March 24th, 2010 09:36 PM

I'm using the old Beachtec DXA-5D to record directly on the 7D. I love it and I think it sounds fantastic, I don't have to deal with dual sound and noise is minimal. It's worry free and I can check both audio and video at the same time playing it back. I wouldn't switch to dual sound for the world.

Liam Hall March 25th, 2010 01:57 AM

I use a sound recordist. Seems to work well, plus he can carry some kit:)

Tony Davies-Patrick March 25th, 2010 11:29 AM

That seems like the best option, Liam... Lol!

Johnnie Behiri March 25th, 2010 08:17 PM

Hi,
You can adjust the level control for each channel if you switch to "4 channels recording" rather then be in stereo mode.
What I do is, mute completely the "n4h on board mics (unfortunately you can not monitor individual channels and those mics are not needed for my recordings).
To do this, just press the "mic" button then be quick to press the "rec level" on the right hand side all the way down to zero.
Now, when two wireless systems (in my case) are XLR connected, press button 1 then be quick to adjust the same "rec level" or button 2 for your desired recording levels.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, like other wrote-the h4n is a battery eater. You must use lithium batteries or other pro version NiCad's otherwise you will be highly disappointed from its short recording times. (even with those batteries, the advertised recording times are far from reality).

Johnnie

Brian Luce March 25th, 2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1504787)
I called B+H, got a return authorization for the Zoom. The Tascam 100 will be here Friday.
Thanks, Brian.
Bruce Yarock

You'll also appreciate the double system battery. It has a rechargeable that your usb charges and AA's.

Peter Rhalter March 25th, 2010 10:23 PM

I use a Sony D50 with a variety of mics including the built-ins. My wireless is a Sennheiser.

Carlo Zanella March 26th, 2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Tran (Post 1503047)
I'm looking to find a audio system to use with 7D. Not sure which way to go. Any suggestions?

Looking for something under the $1000 range.

Nicholas,
I use the Marantz 661 and I think it is a GREAT solution. It costs more than the ZOOM, but it's a really little price to pay for quality audio reocording that you will use for the long term (especially thinking about how much $$ we all spend on these new DSLR systems, $300 more is not that much!). My background is audio, I use to do music productions and run a recording studio full time (now we still have the studio, but we use it for our video productions), and Marantz is a great brand to "have around". Believe me, you won't regret the investment.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Bruce S. Yarock March 26th, 2010 10:58 PM

I received my Tascam and will be using it on a shoot tomorrow. From the few quick tests I did, the sound quality is pretty good.

The -25 db cable that Sean mentions- Anyone know if it's available in the USA?
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock April 2nd, 2010 03:30 AM

Brian,
Have you been able to get the on board speaker to work on the Tascam DR-100? I've tied everything with no luck. There doesn't seem to be a menu setting to switch between headphones and speaker, so that leaves only the switch on the back. Am I missing something?
Bruce Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock April 2nd, 2010 03:37 AM

Speakers- Just figured it out. You have to go to the input setting and turn the monitor off. Bingo!
Bruce Yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick April 3rd, 2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri (Post 1505558)
Hi,

...What I do is, mute completely the "n4h on board mics (unfortunately you can not monitor individual channels and those mics are not needed for my recordings).
To do this, just press the "mic" button then be quick to press the "rec level" on the right hand side all the way down to zero.
Now, when two wireless systems (in my case) are XLR connected, press button 1 then be quick to adjust the same "rec level" or button 2 for your desired recording levels...

Johnnie

Thanks a million for that little snippet, Johnnie! I've been plagued with the on-board mics still picking up slight wind noise when they are supposed to be turned off in 4-channel mode. By turning the onboard mic levels completely down when in MIC mode first, then switching back to 4-channel and XLR external mics, it seems to work well and avoids any annoying wind noise being picked up by the onboard mics while using external mics or radio mics.
It is a bit of a bind having to do all that each time I want to switch between onboard and XLR, but at least I now know what best to do when I'm filming in high winds with exernal mics.
I've also now added permanant foam & home-made double fur layer dead-cat to the Zoom's onboard mics for outdoor recording.

Corey Benoit April 3rd, 2010 06:44 PM

so is the pre-amps in the tascam dr-100 as good as the h4n? also there is no seperate gain control on h4n? but there is on the tascam?

from what i heard the sound from the zoom sounded better but it could just be the users....