DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   SD-output during record and focus monitor... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/475580-sd-output-during-record-focus-monitor.html)

Michiel van Baasbank March 25th, 2010 02:44 PM

SD-output during record and focus monitor...

Guys, for me the biggest T2i turnoff is the SD-output during record, as I'm planning to use an external 7 or 8" LCD monitor for focussing, but you all know the T2i is twice as cheap as the 7D, so it's a big decision. In addition, I wear glasses, so personally I don't think the Z-finder would be a good alternative (but perhaps i'm wrong).

I believe the 5DII also outputs SD while recording, so 5D + LCD-monitor owners are invited to chime in too.

What I really like/need to know for sure is this: do you think (or know from your own experience) if a 7 or 8" Lilliput HD-ready LCD with the SD output from the T2i would be sufficient to get good focus while recording?

Bryan McCullough March 25th, 2010 02:48 PM

I've been using a Lilliput for about the last week with it and it's worked fine for me.

I think it's a significant enough issue that if I decide to put more money into these cameras that I'll probably go with a 7D next if only for that, but I've been fine with the Lilliput so far.

There have been a couple of times just using the LCD that I've come back and discovered something was out of focus. Haven't had that happen with the Lilliput yet.

Rob Cook March 27th, 2010 11:53 PM

Bryan, what is a Lilliput, and is it HDMI?

Robert Turchick March 28th, 2010 03:35 AM

I was a bit disappointed with this as I have a DP1. BUT the z-finder has proven to be the ticket. I wear glasses and it's big enough to make that comfy. I do a lot of follow focus type of shooting and it hasn't let me down.

Michiel van Baasbank March 28th, 2010 05:55 AM

Do you leave your glasses on then, Robert?

Robert Turchick March 28th, 2010 06:13 PM

yes I do. But I tried without once just for grins and it worked just as well. My vision has issues with distance but close up, it's perfect so the glasses were a non issue diopter-wise.

Sam Kanter March 28th, 2010 10:24 PM

Jeez - i have an old Canon ZR DV camcorder, and it CAME WITH a snap on magnifying loupe (with dioptor) for the LCD. It worked fine - tried to use it with my T2i but no way to get it to fit and i was afraid of scratching LCD. This was a terrific camcorder, as it looked like a P&S camera - not shaped like a camcorder - and no one knew you were shooting video.

These loupes cost very little to make - I refuse to spend $400 for a Zacuto version, half the price of a T2i camera. Hopefully, someone will come out with a reasonably-priced version.

Robert Turchick March 28th, 2010 11:19 PM

Sam, take a look at Zacuto's new z-finders...yeah, they're expensive...but if you're handy with tools, you could fashion a plate and bracket for your loupe similar to what Zacuto did.
I've made most of my mounting gear for the T2i and have found most of the parts in my garage or at Ace hardware!

Bryan McCullough March 28th, 2010 11:37 PM

It seems many are happy with Hoodman's loupe at a fraction of the price of a Z. I think I'm going to get one of those.

Burk Webb March 29th, 2010 07:20 PM

Thanks for the HDMI sd output confirmation - a real bummer.

Concerning the Hoodman loupe, and this is coming from a guy that has both the Hoodman and the Z-finder, do NOT get the Hoodman loupe. You will just end up putting it in a drawer or trying to dump it on Craigslist. Save yourself the money and just start with the Z-finder.

Bryan McCullough March 29th, 2010 07:59 PM

By do you have the new 2.5x eyepiece for the Hoodman? People are saying it makes all the difference.

Burk Webb March 29th, 2010 09:07 PM

My only experience is with the original Hoodman loupe.

My issues with the Hoodman are thus:

Mounting the thing has just not worked for me. I've tried the rubber band method and I also got the Redrock Hoodman loupe mount. The rubberband method didn't work well because the thing would wonder all over the LCD during the "heat of battle", just not a secure way to mount the thing.

The Redrock mount is pretty solid but I had three problems. Mounting the loupe is kind of a pain and it was hard to get a good seal with the LCD, had issues with light leaking in. Once mounted you can't really take it off quickly. Suprisingly inconvenient.

My biggest issue is that after a bit of use the diopter would "creep" in and lose focus. This was because when running around, the pressure of my head against the diopter would push it in. The threads just don't have enough grab to lock the diopter in place. I was constantly adjusting it and it drove me nuts. Also the optics are pretty meh.

When I finally got my hands on a Z-finder to check it out I was sold instantly. I agree that it's pretty expensive for what it does and not everybody likes the magnification but it is a solid piece of cine gear. The "click on/off" mount works great and is super solid. The optics are fantastic and once the diopter is set you will not have to fuss with it.

Hope this info helps.

Jon Fairhurst March 29th, 2010 10:22 PM

Hi Burk,

If price is not an issue, I prefer the Z-Finder as well, but I find the Hoodloupe with the latest add-ons to be a competent solution.

I agree: the rubber bands are useless. The Red Rock mount isn't bad though. I had tried their prototype last summer, and, if I recall, it had a hole for the 1/4-20 screw that made it hard to mount and unmount. The latest version has no material near the 1/4-20 screw, so its much easier to slide in and out. I had to fight the old one to get it to line up. This version just slides in and works. Light leakage is minimal.

The Mag 3.0 definitely helps - mostly with stray light, but also with magnification. I no longer get that "soft in the corners" feel. Overall, it's not as sharp as the Z-Finder, but it's more than sharp enough for viewing the LCD. Sharpness beyond a certain level just highlights the pixels on the display.

I haven't noticed the diopter slipping on the Hoodloupe. I'll watch out for that. I think it's less likely with the Mag 3.0. To move the diopter, you turn the diopter and the eyecup. Then you hold the diopter and re-align the eyecup. For the diopter to turn, it would have to turn against the main body as well as the eyecup now, so it seems less likely, and if the eyecup turned, it would highlight the problem.

As to the Z-Finder, I got it after March 1st, so I need to figure out which upgrade, if any, to go for. Decisions, decisions.

Mark Slocombe March 31st, 2010 01:56 AM

Is anyone using the new Marshall hdmi monitor? Does that also receive a sd output? Is the picture ok for focus?

Jon Fairhurst March 31st, 2010 12:44 PM

I've got the Marshall. It handles the 5D2 480p output. You have to change the aspect manually, but this can be done with a single button. It's as good as anything on the 5D2 for monitoring focus with the 480p output.