DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Rate/Comment on my future 550D rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476396-rate-comment-my-future-550d-rig.html)

Peter Malcolm April 7th, 2010 11:16 AM

Rate/Comment on my future 550D rig

Hey all,

So I've decided to get myself one of these, along with some peripherals that would help shoot a web series I'm planning on doing this summer. Let me know what you think:

-Canon Rebel T2i
-Zacuto Z-Finder Pro
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
-32GB Sandisk Extreme flash card
-Zoom H4N
-Sennheiser ME66 mic
-Rode Blimp
-Cinevate Ultimate Uno Package DSLR support
-Kino-Flo Gaffer Kit

Good for a filmmaker kit? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rusty Rogers April 7th, 2010 11:47 AM

I'd save the money from the Canon 50mm and buy the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Closer to full-frame 50mm equivalent.

Spend the money saved on the 50mm on a 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS. There's no comparison with the cheaper f/4 version.

Robert Turchick April 7th, 2010 12:59 PM

I have almost the exact setup minus the zoom as I use my hmc-150 for audio & wide shots.
I have also built my mounting kits. (couldn't justify the $ for a Cinevate, Redrock or Zacuto!)

Couple of suggestions...

Get multiple cards
also might want to get a wireless lav mic.
Are you using a boom pole with the me66? didn't see it on your list.
The blimp is HUGE so I wouldn't mount it on your rig. Get another smaller windscreen for that.

Since you have lights, the 70-200 f4 is fine and will save you about $1k. Also, it's a LOT lighter than the 2.8 IS.

The 24-70 2.8 is awesome but be aware of it's weight too.

Might want to consider the Tokina 11-16 2.8 for wide.

The 50mm 1.4 rocks and you've got the 24-70 to cover wider and longer.

Do you have filters?

Just my 2 cents! Sounds like you're on the right track! Congrats!

Michael Rosenberger April 8th, 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Malcolm (Post 1511163)
Hey all,

So I've decided to get myself one of these, along with some peripherals that would help shoot a web series I'm planning on doing this summer. Let me know what you think:

-Canon Rebel T2i
-Zacuto Z-Finder Pro
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
-32GB Sandisk Extreme flash card
-Zoom H4N
-Sennheiser ME66 mic
-Rode Blimp
-Cinevate Ultimate Uno Package DSLR support
-Kino-Flo Gaffer Kit

Good for a filmmaker kit? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the EF 70-200 f/4. The 50mm f/1.4 will be nice and if you could afford it, yes, the 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mentioned would be great, but the f/4 isn't too terrible.

My only addition I don't see is budget for batteries, batteries, batteries!

Aaron Dunlap April 9th, 2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1511220)
I have also built my mounting kits. (couldn't justify the $ for a Cinevate, Redrock or Zacuto!)

Do you have a link to your mounting kit setup? I would love a good shoulder mount rig, but I'm in the same boat; can't justify the cost.

Robert Turchick April 9th, 2010 01:12 PM

There's pics of the shoulder mount for my DP1 and HMC-150 in the thread below. Essentially this has served as the platform for the T2i too. I had to purchase some 15mm rails(redrock was the cheapest I could find) , a couple of rail brackets $36 each from BH, and my follow focus is the ProAim from CineCity which was about $350-ish. I have 3 QR plates as well. There are a lot of other misc pieces of hardware I had laying around that found a place on the whole system. I'm on a shoot Sunday and Thursday and will try to get some snapshots of the rig. Other fun thing I did was mount both cameras and place it on a tripod. Worked really well for a one-man-band situation. Is it perfect? No. Does it do the job? Yes.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder...emade-rig.html