DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Recommendatiosn for camera bags (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/476852-recommendatiosn-camera-bags.html)

Tim Davison April 15th, 2010 04:34 AM

Recommendatiosn for camera bags

As with eeveryone, my initial list of equipment consisting of just the 7d and a camera of lenses is now growing exponentially and I need a bigger bag that can house the camera, 4 lenses, lamp, microphone, chargers, spare batteries and memory cards and tripod etc etc!

I like to be able to carry all my gear around with me (just in case) as everything I shoot is very guerilla- style rather than simply transporting gear from one place to another.

What is everyone using right now for their equipment? Rucksacks seem a good idea but I would have to take them off everytime I wanted to change anything which isn't ideal as I like to have a shoulder strap so the bag hangs at my side and I can quickly move between lenses etc. Also can't be too bulky as I often have to move aroudn in pretty tight spaces (Yes, I know, I want the world on a stick!!)

David Chilson April 15th, 2010 05:48 AM

Tim,

I use the 300 Lowepro Slingshot. The 350 also carries a laptop. It sounds like it would fit your needs also depending on how big a tripod you want. You can see it here:

YouTube - Lowepro SlingShot AW

Jon Braeley April 15th, 2010 06:06 AM

I am about to add a new bag for my 7D kit, so I will let you know.

My favorite are Kata bags - I have had 7 or 8 bags so far - well made and great designs. I heard they have a SLR bag that is both backpack and should sling for using on the run. So I am checking these out this week.

Alan Halfhill April 15th, 2010 09:02 AM

Tamrac Velocity 8x

This is a backpack style back that turns around. It carries my 7D, 10-22mm, 24-105 IS, 70-200 f4 IS and a Sigma APO 1.4x, charger, extra battery, 4 CF cards, 77 Polerizer and cleaning cloth.

The rest of my gear goes in my Seahorse SE920 carry on. This is a rolling plastic case that is great.

Alan

Brian Ford April 15th, 2010 10:34 AM

I have the Tamrac Aero 3385 backpack. I'd give it a rating of "fair to good"..

I use it to carry the following:
10" Netbook,
Canon 50mm 1.8
Tamron 17-55
Tokina 11-16
Samyang 85mm

It holds everything and room for more, but nothing is quite the right size.. The spot where the camera goes is too loose, so the camera flops around quite a bit (might be better if you had a 70-200 lens on it all the time). The Tokina 11-16 with its 77mm glass is a bit of a tight squeeze into the lens compartments (even with the moveable velcro compartments). It is well constructed though and seems like it would be pretty weather resistant (not that I've had it in the rain yet), and the zippers are well protected also.

Got it on sale for roughly $100 so for the price I'm very happy with it..

Dan Carter April 15th, 2010 06:57 PM

I'm usually on the trail with my gear and the Lowepro Versapack 200 AW has worked out well for me. Accessing camera and lenses can be done without removing the backpack.

Details and video here: Lowepro - Versapack

Stephen Mick April 15th, 2010 07:06 PM

ThinkTank Photo

I'd look at anything made by ThinkTank Photo. I've owned just about every bag imaginable, and they're all I carry now for my 5D/7D gear.

--SM

Kin Lau April 16th, 2010 12:37 PM

I had been using a Slingshot 300AW for a couple of years, but over time, all that weight on one shoulder gets to be a bit much, and messes up your back. I'm still going to use it when I don't need to lugging it all day.

If I need to carry a fair bit for the day, then I use the Lowepro Flipside 400AW. It comes with a built-in tripod carrier, has a all-weather covering, and I can access and change lenses without setting it down. Most importantly, it's quite comfortable carrying it.

Shamol Majumder April 17th, 2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1514579)
My favorite are Kata bags - I have had 7 or 8 bags so far - well made and great designs. I heard they have a SLR bag that is both backpack and should sling for using on the run.

I'm a huge Kata fan as well (my count is over 15, and I even once visited them in Jerusalem).

There are some rucksacks and a large shoulderbag (for full DSLR video rigs) coming out. I think I'll go for the Pro-Light Beetle-282 PL backpack.

Bellina from Kata showing the new collection at NAB.