Windows Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
New Boot

Windows Editing

This could be a huge post of the state of where I am but I will spare you all.

Lets say just say unfortunately I need to overhaul all my stuff and workflow. I only do creative projects so the T2i looks awesome as my TRV900 replacement. Editing is what worries me. My longtime editor Ulead Media Studio Pro has gone away so its time. I have evaluated quite a few.

But now, my new concern is editing the MOV format on windows. I, in the past, never had much luck with this format on the windows side of things. So my question is how are people in the windows world editing this output from the T2i or am I confused? Are people using a proxy style editing format or can you edit native?

thanks
Steve
Steve Grabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
New Boot

try vegas

you really have to transcode with any editor.

try sony vegas.

i have an i3 laptop w/4gb. i can playback T2i mov clips fine. if i want to edit, i need to transcode. i use cineform (a $99 add-on), but you can use the mxf format built-in to vegas. keep all the same settings. these are now your master and you can archive the movs.

there's also a way to batch transcode using a script. or you could use handbrake.
David A. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Avid Media Composer 4.0.5.5 which I am working on handles this beautifully through DNxHD codec. The only drawback is the long import times. But we expect MC5 to stop this as will do by AMA all the QT formats. Media Composer loves QT files.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Currently I'm using Premiere CS3 and draging the .mov files in without transcoding them. Of course I have 6 gigs of ram and an i7 processor so it's not too bad on render time. Soon I'll be upgrading to CS5 which has complete support for T2i .mov files.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Cineform Neoscene + Sony Vegas Pro 9 works great for me.
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:57 PM   #6
New Boot

I also use Cineform on my P5 (hyperthread) with Vegas Pro 8 ($89.00 right now on Amazon!)

On the dual core, I can run without Cineform and it runs Vegas 9 for AVCHD and the MOV files without hesitation.

* Beef up RAM and get a video card with some memory in it.
Michael Gruich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks to all for the info.

I have been testing Vegas and thought that was the way to go until this mov thing came up. I sure would like to not transcode. I have a beefy quad core 64 bit vista system so I might be looking at Premiere although I didn't like it years ago.... its all about change I guess!! The Avid seems a little pricey to me as this is mostly a hobby. I haven't bought the camera yet, I might have to grab a few t2i.mov files and see how it will work.

thanks
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Pinnacle 14 HD needs no transcoding - drag mov files to timeline and edit.

It is not as full-featured as Vegas, but works like a charm on my i7 PC.I own both. The Ultimate version has lots of plugins, including Magic Bullet.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #9
New Boot

Pinnacle 14 HD.... that is a surprise.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Michael,

Can you provide a link to that $89 Sony Vegas Pro 8?? Amazon currently has it at $549... Not $89...
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #11
New Boot

I believe Michael was talking about the CineForm Codec which is $ 89 not Vegas.

Last edited by Steve Grabowski; May 24th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Ludwig View Post
you really have to transcode with any editor.
Not so!
I'm using Edius 5.5 and edit native T2i .mov's mixed on the timeline with native EXCam footage.
I like this camera more with each shoot. This was edited before Edius 5.5 with it's improved AVCHD handling.

Last edited by Rusty Rogers; May 24th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added video
Rusty Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #13
New Boot

So this is exactly what I was hoping for. Some editing systems don't need the mov file transcoded. We should try to compile a list of what does and doesn't need transcoding.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #14
Trustee

Prem Pro CS5 edits the native MP4 files from the camera on mac or PC just fine. NO transcoding required. just import them and hit play. that said, ANY NLE will want serious hardware to work well with h264 encoded shots. I'm running a 8 core 2.8ghz mac pro and it eats right thru the material. my core 2 duo laptop doesn't play so nice.

also don't forget you're going need lots of drive space... no tapes to put on the shelf :(
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
Prem Pro CS5 edits the native MP4 files from the camera on mac or PC just fine. NO transcoding required. just import them and hit play.

also don't forget you're going need lots of drive space... no tapes to put on the shelf :(
Are you editing the .mp4's? They're tiny and annoying at best. I used to export .mxf, but hated to wait.
I can also open the .xml within Edius, but it's too cumbersome.
The preferred method for Edius is to drag directly from the Sony Clip Browser (drive) window to the Edius Bin.

I love my DroboPro for archive. I can do mini edits from the DroboPro if I'm in a hurry. :~)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD