Canon 50mm f/ 1.4 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 50mm f/ 1.4 or Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Hello, folks. I hope this topic hasn't been covered to death here, but I need some help making a quick decision. Hopefully someone here with more experience then myself can give me some insight.
I just got a Canon T2i. Although, I plan to use the camera for still photos, as well as, HD video. I particularly want the camera for doing video. I already own a Canon XHA1, but wanted the T2i for it's low light capabilities, and it's ability to change lenses. Also, perhaps as a B camera. I occasionally do weddings for extra money, but mainly want to do indie films.
I would film both inside, and outside scenes, and I want to start adding some prime lenses to my arsenal. I'm torn between the Canon 50mm 1.4, or the Sigma 30mm 1.4, but don't feel I can afford to get both at this time. I see advantages, and disadvantages to both, but I'm not sure which would be the better choice in most situations. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Dana Acciavatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM   #2
Major Player

If this is your only lens for a while, Sigma is the one you want, it will come out to about 50mm because of the crop factor, the Canon 50mm will be about 85mm, to tight for most situation, my Sigma 30mm is my go to lens most of the time, beside, I saw a comparison on the 5D forum of the Canon 50mm 1.4 againts a bunch of other 50mm and the Canon 50mm 1.4 is the worst as far as sharpness goes, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is much better even though it is a much cheaper built.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just spent the weekend taking stills with a 50mm f/1.8 and I found myself. Stepping a long way back to get things in frame, sometimes I just missed the shot. So I agree with Khoi and would buy the 30mm
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick replies! I appreciate it. I do worry about having to step back to get the shot with the Canon. The only reason I am not totally sold on the Sigma lens over the Canon, is that, I've heard the Sigmas can vary in quality, and the focus can malfunction after a little while. Any truth to that? Being as it's more expensive than the Canon, I would hate to have it crap out on me after a just few uses.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know about auto focus, I have never use it, but it has 3 years warranty on it instead of 1 year on the Canon, but it doesn't sound right if auto focus would go out after a few uses, they wouldn't be in business this long if they built a product like that.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you are really into indie film making, start thinking about bargain lenses from ebay adapted to the Canon EOS with $11.00 adapters.

You can pick up an arsenal of non auto lens for what you might pay for an auto lens. The 70s and 80's Nikkor are army tank built, and have nice glass. Also on the Pentax M42 and K mount lenses are great, and can also be adapted. I have a 24 mm Nikkor, f 2.8, a 28mm Pentax f 2.8, a 35mm Nikkor F 2, a 50mm Nikkor F, a 28-85 mm Takumar F 3.5, a 100 mm Series E Nikkor F 2.8, and an f3.5 135mm and averaged around $75 per lens to purchase all of this glass. I bought these originally for my 35mm adapter, took them to my Canon 5D Mark II, and now use them with my T2i. I still have the kit lens for automode and IS if I need it.

I know Canon has good glass, but these lenses, especially for video, do just fine, thank you.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Certainly the Sigma is the way to go if your budget agrees. I have not had experience with it but everyone in this forum that has one can attest to its quality. I have the Canon 50mm 1.8 and don't really like that I am already at 80mm all the time. So instead, I bought an adapter for my Nikon 28mm f/2.8 which translates to a 44.8mm.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
If you are really into indie film making, start thinking about bargain lenses from ebay adapted to the Canon EOS with $11.00 adapters.

You can pick up an arsenal of non auto lens for what you might pay for an auto lens. The 70s and 80's Nikkor are army tank built, and have nice glass. Also on the Pentax M42 and K mount lenses are great, and can also be adapted. I have a 24 mm Nikkor, f 2.8, a 28mm Pentax f 2.8, a 35mm Nikkor F 2, a 50mm Nikkor F, a 28-85 mm Takumar F 3.5, a 100 mm Series E Nikkor F 2.8, and an f3.5 135mm and averaged around $75 per lens to purchase all of this glass. I bought these originally for my 35mm adapter, took them to my Canon 5D Mark II, and now use them with my T2i. I still have the kit lens for automode and IS if I need it.

I know Canon has good glass, but these lenses, especially for video, do just fine, thank you.
Shh, I'm starting to think we should keep quiet about the secret of good old manual glass. Ebay prices aren't going down you know.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:17 AM   #9
Trustee

Chris,
Can you post a link to those 411 adapters you mentioned?
I have several nice old nikon manuals that I bought to use with my Letus a couple of years ago, and would like to use them occasionally with my 7d.I bought a fancy adapter from fotodiox, but it was a lot of money.( It does however have a chip that provides focus assist when shooting stills, but i really don't need that feature).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:18 AM   #10
Trustee

That's $11 adapters.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks so much everyone for your input! It's been very helpful. I'm not totally sure yet which route I will go. I want to check out some of the manual glass options mentioned here first. I may even consider buying the Sigma 30mm for my prime lens, and get the more affordable Canon 50mm f/1.8 for occasional tight shots. It's not as good as the Canon 50mm f/1.4, but I've seen it used along with the Sigma in a couple videos, and they looked fine together. That way I can have my cake and eat it, too.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Bruce - The adapter he is refering too is from kawamall. Just look up nikon to canon adapter. Their shipping is aparently 2 day air because it seamed like I got mine the minute I hit submit payment.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Dana,

I went through the exact same situation, I even own an XH-A1 myself which has been my main camera. My uncle who is a photographer let me borrow his Canon 85 1.8 for a shoot. I absoutly love the lens on the T2i but noticed I needed to be quite a ways away to get the right kind of shots. This made me go for the Sigma 30 1.4, it's focusing is not as fast as a canon lens but its (in my mind) the perfect all around lens, from low light receptions to nice shallow interview shots. I also bought a Canon 15mm 2.8 and an Canon 85mm 1.8 to complete my arsenal.

Hope this helps your decision,

Aaron Almquist
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks, Aaron. I had already ordered a Canon 50mm 1.4 before I realized I might prefer the Sigma 30mm for most shots instead. The Canon just arrived today, several days earlier than I expected. As tempting as it is, I haven't opened the box yet while I weigh my options. Worst case scenario, I'll keep the Canon, and in a couple months, I might be able to afford to pick up the Sigma. It might be total overkill to have both, or it might be useful. Not experienced enough to say for sure, but I would think the Sigma is better for most indoor shots, while the Canon might be better for most outdoor shots where I can't get as close as I would like to. Also, if I did a wedding, or some other low-lit live event, I could see where both, the Sigma, and the Canon would have their uses, depending on my ability to get in close to a subject or not.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Bruce:

This brand I bought. I originally paid $ 8.00 plus $ 8 for shipping. Last time I looked they were around $11.00, 4.95 for shipping. Now $14.99 plus $2 for shipping. They keep changing

Nikon Lens to Canon EOS Adapter 300D 350D 400D 20D 30D - eBay (item 140410021234 end time Jun-20-10 15:19:38 PDT)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD