DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   What!!??..No aperture control! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479865-what-no-aperture-control.html)

Mark Ganglfinger June 3rd, 2010 07:03 PM

What!!??..No aperture control!

This is just a note to inform anyone looking to buy a t2i for video. I actually bought a T1i, but they have the same auto feature I believe.

I thought I had done my homework, and I was OK with manual focus and the other limitations of using a DSLR for video. But I was absolutely SHOCKED when I realized there was no control for Aperture, or even ISO. I am mainly using the camera as a 3rd cam for weddings and to do some of the detail shots, so I still can use the camera, and for the most part like it (especially for $620, and I already have a bunch of lenses).

So, If you really need manual controls, I guess you need to look at the 5D or something similar.

John C. Chu June 3rd, 2010 07:16 PM

Yes..there is a manual control available on the T2i when shooting video.

Please refer to page 127 in the manual.

While in the movie mode > Hit the MENU button.

Go right to the second tab and select "Movie Exposure"

Press "Set" and change it to manual.

Once you are in manual mode, you can then change aperture by hitting the "A+-" and dial in the desired setting.

You can also dial the wheel to adjust shutter speed.

Hitting the iso button will also allow you change the ISO.

Bryan McCullough June 3rd, 2010 08:19 PM

Yes, the controls aren't as nice as the 7D or 5D, but you do have complete manual aperture and ISO control on the T2i.

Andrew Zaragoza June 3rd, 2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger (Post 1534646)
This is just a note to inform anyone looking to buy a t2i for video. I actually bought a T1i, but they have the same auto feature I believe.

What you believe is incorrect. The T1i has some control issues that can be corrected with fully manual lenses, but the t2i is a different beast. Looks like you should have done even more homework.

Sam Kanter June 3rd, 2010 11:23 PM

You get an "F" for your homework:

T1i: No Manual Control
T2i: Full Manual Control

Marcus Marchesseault June 4th, 2010 02:54 AM

Doesn't the T2i also have the same sensor as the 7D and the same processor as the 5D? I seem to recall that the T2i is about 4x the camera as the T1i for only a bit more money. With the T1i only recording 20fps at 1080p, it falls quite short of the T2i.

James Donnelly June 4th, 2010 03:39 AM

While we're setting the record straight, let's add that the t1i lacks an external mic jack. I'm afraid the list important improvements doesn't end there.

Sorry to say it, but if you bought the t1i, it might be time to cut your losses and get rid of it in favour of a t2i before it loses much more value.

Mark Ganglfinger June 4th, 2010 05:24 AM

Hopefully it is not too late to get rid of it. I read quite a few different reviews and none of what you guys have stated was ever mentioned (except for the external mic, which wasn't worth an axtra $200 for me)
The aperture control is easily worth the extra money though.
Thanks for the quick info. Hopefully other people looking into the T1i will stumble on this thread and get the information I missed out on.

Sam Kanter June 9th, 2010 08:00 PM

Either the reviews were wrong, or, more likely - you didn't read them carefully. Could you post links to any of the reviews that didn't mention that the T2i has full manual control over video? I'd be interested to see them.

Mark Ganglfinger June 11th, 2010 03:46 PM

My research was decidedly not helpful in this case. I relied too heavily on product descriptions and customer reviews which were probably mostly written by hobbyists and not professionals.
The most noted difference between the 2 cameras was the addition of the audio input, which was irrelevant in my case, and 3 extra megapixels, which was not a big deal for me.
Both cameras were driven by a DIGIC 4 processor, but appearantly there are different grades of DIGIC 4 processors.
Fortunately, I was able to ditch the T1i and buy a T2i (which was NOT easy to find!) I am very happy I did. The information here was quite helpful, and you guys are right, the T2i is definitely a better camera.

Bryan McCullough June 11th, 2010 03:48 PM

Congrats, you'll love it.

Sam Kanter June 11th, 2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger (Post 1537514)
Fortunately, I was able to ditch the T1i and buy a T2i (which was NOT easy to find!) I am very happy I did. The information here was quite helpful, and you guys are right, the T2i is definitely a better camera.

Good move! Next time do some better research before buying. Every review out there featured the major differences in video capabilities between these two cameras, and many, like me, also sold their T1s for T2s.

The internets can be helpful! ;-) Enjoy the T2 - it's an incredible little camera!

Chris Hurd June 11th, 2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kanter (Post 1536843)
Could you post links to any of the reviews that didn't mention that the T2i has full manual control over video?

Don't do that. We're not interested in spreading misinformation on this site. I'll remove any such links if they're posted. What goes around the rest of the Web isn't important -- all that matters is DV Info Net. We're not in the business of correcting the mistakes found on other sites -- we're in the business of *replacing* those sites entirely.

Aaron Dunlap June 11th, 2010 09:41 PM

Always go to DPReview after they have reviewed a camera. It doesn't get any more in depth than their reviews.