DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Affordable DSLR rig? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479896-affordable-dslr-rig.html)

Nik Kuo July 6th, 2010 04:02 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents on rigs..

I own a Cinevate Uno rig. It's got one carbon rail, one stage to mount the camera body, one handle, and one flat panel to rest on your shoulder.

It's very sturdy, and modular, which is cool if you want to configure it to your liking. The only complaint I have is that it is HEAVY. Of course, the weight will change depending on what lens you use, and how many accessories you've got on it. For me personally, I have a 7D with a 17-55mm zoom, and a cinevate follow focus. After 15 minutes or so, I had to give it a rest. I probably should have gotten a shoulder mount pad.

Anyway, the rig is well-made, but could wear you out over the course of a day. I'm leaning towards getting a monopod for when I'll be shooting more than a hour or so.

Nik

Alex Raskin July 6th, 2010 08:09 PM

I also marveled at this kit by CPM Film Tools, looks nice with all-carbon version, and only $200.

What I currently own/use with 7D:

- This $115 "Media cage Coach Kit" (shown with my SI-2K cam, but I do use it with 7D as well.) Turns out, it is even better with the top aluminum plank removed.

- This $25 shoulder brace (gives you stability, but is not really designed as shoulder pad replacement - I have that one separately by no-brand eBay retailer, works fine. Note: it is almost useless as-is because it flexes, so you need to reinforce it. I just poured JB Weld into its side that served as a mould, and now it's very sturdy.)

Also, this is NOT inexpensive, but quality is absolutely on ARRI level if you know what I mean - the Cinevate Durus follow focus. I acquired it only recently, and it is absolutely marvelous - no play, super easy and intuitive operation, looks like it's built to last.

Waiting on these rails now - they seem to take forever to be delivered....

Carlo Zanella July 7th, 2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Tamer (Post 1534853)
I'm planning on purchasing a 7D in the next couple months I had a question.

The Zacuto gear is a bit pricey for me after purchasing the 7D, some of the Cinevate gear is affordable though. Is there anything remotely affordable?

What would be the best to pick up?

Indisystem (indiSYSTEM - Home) are well priced and the build quality is good. Also, they are made in the US.
Very easy to use and configurable to your liking. We use their sliders, FF and 7D rig systems. Very happy so far.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Jim Culp July 17th, 2010 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Habbycam shoulder rig for a documentary project and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and adjustability for the money. I can use it for both my 7D and HMC150. No affiliation whatsoever.

Downside is no rail system (yet). But for run and gun it's been amazing. I rigged a 5 lb counterweight to the back and the rig balances on my shoulder by itself with my 24-70 2.8 on the camera.

Here's a really bad photo of the rig:

Dennis Wood July 17th, 2010 03:30 PM

Nik, first of all thanks for your comments on the Uno rig. One thing that is lacking in any stock type rig is that 100% of the mass is forward of your shoulder. Here's what we've come up with to address your concerns:

On top of a new quick release system (supports 3 of the most common quick-release plates you're using allowing vertical ejection, while retaining slide adjustment!), we've introduced a full counter-weight system and yet-to-be seen non-skid shoulder pad to go with it. This can be added or removed from your UNO rig in about 5 seconds so if you wish to lose the counter-balance, you can do so very quickly. One thing that is hard to appreciate though is just how much more stable (and relaxing) it is to shoot with a properly counterbalanced system. Our counterweight is actually fill-able which means you can add precisely what you need for weight and optionally empty it for air travel. Once set up properly, you can actually let go of your camera completely as the mass is now centered over your body. We've got a video series coming in the next two weeks that covers all of the new gear, including some that will likely create a bit of a stir in the community. You'll find the counterbalance kits on our site. As an aside, the new gear you'll see is likely the "sexiest" we've come out with to date.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
Cinevate: DSLR Rigs, Camera Sliders, Follow Focus and More

Jon Braeley July 19th, 2010 09:59 AM

Does anyone have experience with this line for HD-DSLR 's - G-Cinema - G-CINEMA

This website is not very informative but what they do show look interesting. Are these the South Korean rigs that you sometimes see around? They are not from India I am fairly sure of that.

Christer Dahl July 19th, 2010 01:42 PM

I've bought stuff from Jag35.com , and now i'm looking at their brand new DSLR rig, very affordable ... The Field Runner | Jag35.com

Jon Braeley July 23rd, 2010 05:27 PM

Sorry to say this but the Field Runner looks mighty ugly... and it looks heavy to me. DSLR rigs need to be light - thats my main factor.
I just received a box holding a rig I was curious about so I ordered it - looks identical to Zacuto stuff. I havent assembled it yet but I will post pics soon. It's a double rail system with a nice gel shoulder pad. I just took the first piece out of the bubble-wrap and it is surprisingly high quality. Much better than I thought it would be. More soon....

Jon Braeley July 24th, 2010 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I promised a photo of my new light rig.
This is a quick assembly but this may change. I ended up with a baseplate for the tripod and two rods spare. Of course if I want to quickly put the rig on to my tripod I will attach the second base plate under the rig. On first configuration, the rig seems fairly stable - and it is light (my main concern). The shoulder pad is heavy and filled with a firm gel, so a balancing weight is not needed as far I can feel right now. The 15mm rods appear at the rear of the pad so you can attach a weight on the rods. You can attach the extra rods and also add focus and bellows. I will attach a folllow focus this week.
Overall it's a very good deal at $270 plus shipping. The build quality is excellent.

Alex Raskin July 24th, 2010 04:41 PM

Jon, is that one of those eBay rigs from Hong Kong?

Jon Braeley July 25th, 2010 06:43 AM

It came from South Korea ... Ordered on Tuesday and arrived Friday - impressive delivery.
I've got other rigs but for the 7D I needed something lighter - I don't need big handles and large shoulder pads for a 7D and for this money I can take a gamble. It paid off I think.
Had to order a smaller QR plate from B&H, then I can take this out for tests but so far, it's a winner.

Alan Halfhill July 26th, 2010 01:19 AM

How do we order?

Jon Braeley July 26th, 2010 06:18 AM

Seller is on ebay - This is a link to another of this sellers rig - just click on sellers other items and I'm sure all the rigs will show up.

DSLR RIG moniter set G-K17 - eBay (item 250672660875 end time Jul-27-10 02:43:31 PDT)

Hector Landaeta July 28th, 2010 08:18 AM

Anyone tried this rig?

It's made in Turkey. The site is neat and informative.
handy FILMTOOLS
Anyone here has tried it? Right now it sells for $690. Looks like the ideal form factor for DSLR's.

Alex Raskin July 28th, 2010 08:33 AM

Hector, normally the VDSLR should sit in front of your eyes, not inline with your shoulder.

This Handytools shoulder mount does not have any offset, relying on the external monitor being offset instead. Not the best arrangement, IMO, regardless the price (and I think the price is very high anyway.)

The only time it shows in the correct position on their pictures, is when it gets mounted on the steadicam arm...

I think people who buy expensive DSLR rigs hoping that they will magically help them make fantastic movies, will quickly discover that a $2 wooden plank with two handles on the sides and the cam mounted in the middle does an equally good or better job. And I'm not even exaggerating taht much ;)