DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D/5D With a Hollywood Lite Steadycam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/479991-7d-5d-hollywood-lite-steadycam.html)

Chuck Spaulding June 6th, 2010 05:33 PM

7D/5D With a Hollywood Lite Steadycam

Anyone used a 7D/5d with a Hollywood Lite SteadyCam? Its an older steadycam but I think its the same as this one: VariZoom FlowCam GT Camera Stabilizers & Supports, monitors, Zoom controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone:512-219-7722

I'm have a difficult time getting it balanced and the 7D seems to be a little light, I have to apply constant pressure on the arm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Pryor June 6th, 2010 07:47 PM

I had a Hollywood Lite some years ago, a big one. You can adjust the tension on the arms, but not while you're wearing it like with Steadicam. If you take it off, lay the arms down and look near the base of the springs there should be some sort of adjusting screw. It's probably tensioned for a much heavier camera. Even with the tnesion down, you might have to get a weight plate made to add a little more to the top.

Chuck Spaulding June 6th, 2010 09:49 PM

Thanks Bill. After posting I found the tensioner you mentioned and it was about as tight as you could get it. I backed it off and I'll try again.

Any suggestion on how to balance this thing?

Bill Pryor June 7th, 2010 09:12 AM

I was always to get mine balanced fairly easily, but that was with a 2/3" chip camera. My problem with the 7D and the lens I use for my wide angle, which is what I always want on the Steadicam, is that it's really nose heavy. If you're using a heavy lens, I'd start by getting the camera as far to the rear as possible and then go from there. You need to set the rig up on a C-stand; it's very difficult to try balancing from scratch when you're wearing it. I don't remember the number, but probably 1-2 seconds...you want to balance it so when you lift up the bottom and let it go, it will swing like a pendulum for about 1-2 seconds...something like that. If it swings too fast then it's overweighted on the bottom.

When I got the Hollywood Lite I bought it for a specific heavy camera but also wanted to use a lighter camera (a DSR250 in those days). The manufacturer gave me a weight plate that bolted onto the bottom of the camera's quick release and then to the rig. I actually went to L.A. and bought the rig directly from the guys who were making them. They had just concluded their deal with Varizoom for distribution. You can probably contact Varizoom and get the instructions for your rig if you can figure out what they call it now. Varizoom immediately had their own names. I think there was a DVD also. It's been about 10 years since I dealt with them, so I don't remember all the finer points. The rig itself is very nice and well built but fine tuning the balance is tricky. Once you get it, you'll love it.

Chuck Spaulding June 7th, 2010 12:55 PM

Thanks Bill. After spending about four hours with it yesterday I didn't end up with as single shot I could use. I'll keep trying to get it right.