DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Remote video trigger built into rig handle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480074-remote-video-trigger-built-into-rig-handle.html)

Jad Meouchy June 8th, 2010 12:15 AM

Remote video trigger built into rig handle

I dunno if anyone else is having fun triggering the t2i remotely (or the 7d and 5d2 for that matter), but I got tired of reaching out of my rig to do it and decided to build a solution. Quick little write-up with pics up on my blog:
Remote HDSLR video trigger built into handle - Arrow Ten Media

Basically I took apart a cheap chinese remote and extended some leads, trimmed the board, and fit it all inside a really comfortable power tool grip handle. Mounted that to a lightweight photo bracket, and voila!

http://www.arrowten.com/wp-content/u...MG_0193tn1.jpg

Chris Soucy June 8th, 2010 12:46 AM

Hi Jad.........

Don't use any of the camera's mentioned but just love the lateral thinking you've put into this solution for your problems.

Extremely elegant and functional.

Innovation is not dead!

Great stuff.

CS

James Donnelly June 8th, 2010 04:27 AM

Awesome work Jad, congratulations.

What type of remote did you use in the first place? I have a wireless trigger which works for stills, but I wasn't aware there was a possibility to use this to trigger video recording. Does a standard wireless remote trigger start recording when the camera is in video mode?

Chris Barcellos June 8th, 2010 11:16 AM

Yeap, it is a problem -in my set up, starding camera is best accomplished having to switch hands holding the pistol grip, to start, with right hand and then transfer pistol grip back to right hand from left after camera is rolling. PITA. I have one of the Canon tiny remotes that I intend to wire using a some fiber optic cable to accomplish same thing being done here. I had to do the same thing with my Canon HV20 rig a few years back.

Jad Meouchy June 8th, 2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Donnelly (Post 1536172)
What type of remote did you use in the first place? I have a wireless trigger which works for stills, but I wasn't aware there was a possibility to use this to trigger video recording. Does a standard wireless remote trigger start recording when the camera is in video mode?

The remote is the RC-5 type, specifically for triggering liveview/video. The camera even flashes amber on the front that recording has started, which is really useful when you aren't staring at the back screen. I don't think any of the normal remotes will trigger video.

Jerry Porter June 8th, 2010 01:45 PM

Do you have a link to the remote??

Sam Kanter June 8th, 2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy (Post 1536357)
The remote is the RC-5 type, specifically for triggering liveview/video. The camera even flashes amber on the front that recording has started, which is really useful when you aren't staring at the back screen. I don't think any of the normal remotes will trigger video.

Canon RC-1 will trigger video:

Rob deJong June 27th, 2010 10:38 AM

Is there some remote based on RF that triggers video?

Rob deJong June 29th, 2010 05:51 AM

I mean is there a remote based on Radio Frequencies that will trigger the film function on a DSLR. I need to control the camera from behind. In general, the IR sensors are on the front side.

Or will I be able to communicate with the camera if I am behind it with that RC-5 or RC-1?

Jad Meouchy July 1st, 2010 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob deJong (Post 1543403)
I mean is there a remote based on Radio Frequencies that will trigger the film function on a DSLR. I need to control the camera from behind. In general, the IR sensors are on the front side.

Or will I be able to communicate with the camera if I am behind it with that RC-5 or RC-1?

Nothing over RF that I'm aware of for video triggering, very common for photo trigger though. To use it from behind, you'll need to snake a little fiber optic cable from the sensor or use a little mirror or even bounce card. Basically you need to shoot the remote's LED right at the little black dot on the camera's grip handle.

Rob deJong July 5th, 2010 08:09 AM

fibre optic cable items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Electronics items on eBay.com!

Would I be able to use any of these cables?? Or do you have some advise on how to make such a construction?