DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Hi All! Video Recording onto which SD Card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480152-hi-all-video-recording-onto-sd-card.html)

Aaron Courtney August 11th, 2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christoffer Brekne (Post 1557219)
Canon suggests using class 6 because the general minimum requirement for class 6 is a write speed of 6mbps or over. But several class 2 cards and class 4 cards I've tested perform well beyond the 5.5mbps limit of the Canon 550d.

Exactly correct Christoffer. I used the 32GB Kingston Class 4 and only once in 10 hours of filming did it ever have a buffer problem. Obviously, once is too many times in a pro situation; but this was during an eval of the cam and these were the only cards I had at my disposal.

Gustavs Repse August 11th, 2010 10:30 AM

I use Sandisk class 10 extreme 2 8gb card. As a beginer i do feel like the 8gb satisfies my needs.

Have not had any problems with it .

Bruce Foreman August 11th, 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1537369)
Try a Transcend 16gb class 10, they are available on Amazon for about £37 inc p&p. I dont think you will go far wrong.

I don't need to. I choke a bit, but pay the price for SanDisk and roll on.

I know there are a lot of folks using Transcend cards and happy with them. Probably most are fine, but I see far fewer "tales of woe" from folks using SanDisk than either Transcend or Kingston.

Taky Cheung August 11th, 2010 02:04 PM

I asked my photographer. He has 2 trensend CF card both die at first use. I can't take that chance.

Xin Jin November 15th, 2010 09:21 AM

Im using a Sandisk Ultra II class 2 16gb. (always thought it was class 4) and never had problems with it. But i would stick with sandisk. almost never read something bad about sandisk and my personal experience is the same. im getting another ultra II class 4 (they dont seem to sell the class 2 anymore) 16gb now.

Xin Jin November 18th, 2010 02:28 PM

EDIT

I just got the Sandisk Ultra Class 4 16GB shipped from amazing

amazingly it cant handle video - breaks down after ca 20 sec. of recording.

this really sucks.

my sandisk ultra 2 class 2 16 gb is fine with video.

does anyone know what might be the reason here for the class 4 to fail?

thanks

Chris Barcellos November 18th, 2010 02:54 PM

This card media business is really kind of interesting. For my video, I use 4 $20 8 gig PNY Optima SDHC bought at Best Buy for my T2i. From my Canon 5D Mark II, I use some pretty inexpensive Kingston Elite Pro 8 and 16 gig CF cards. Most users would probably not consider either of these.

Personally, I have concluded that the recommendation for the higher speed cards for the camera is centered around the high pixel count multiple exposure still needs, more than video issues. Since I never use those features, it really is something I am not concerned about.

Another thing that is clear is that there seems to be more problems with any cards with higher storage capacity. That is why I have stuck with 4's, 8's and 16"s.