DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Adjustable ND filter question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480426-adjustable-nd-filter-question.html)

Bruce S. Yarock June 15th, 2010 11:10 AM

Adjustable ND filter question.

I've been using a Singh_Ray variable adjustable nd filter since I got my first 7D. While doing a 2 camera music video shoot last Sunday, I realized that I need another one of these. The one I have starts vignetting at about 24mm. If you buy their next size up ( 82mm, I think) you only get another 2mm before it vignettes.
Has anyone gone with the wider version and a step ring, and if so, how much wider can you really shoot at? Their wider version is $390. Also is anyone else making anything similar that isn't so expensive?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter June 15th, 2010 12:43 PM

I have a LightCraftWorkshop Fader ND and use it with my Tokina 11 -16 and can get all the way down to 12mm before I see any vignetting.

Bruce S. Yarock June 16th, 2010 02:47 AM

Jerry,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try one of those,
Do you know who has them in stock?
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter June 16th, 2010 07:00 AM

This is where I bought mine.
Filter > Fader ND mark II -

Bruce S. Yarock June 16th, 2010 07:19 AM

jerry,
Did you buy the 77 or the 82mm?
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter June 16th, 2010 07:32 AM

I bought the 77 as that is the biggest lens that I have and then some step down rings. The 11-16 is a 77mm lens. I don't think you will gain anything by going bigger unless you need to for lens size. They are already over-sized. You can forget using any of your lens hoods with them though as you can not rotate them with a hood on.

John Richard June 16th, 2010 08:16 AM

I believe Singh-Ray makes a "thin" version which would reduce the vinetting effect

Bruce S. Yarock June 17th, 2010 10:00 AM

Jerry,
Is there any dealer who stocks these and who I could reach by phone?
BH is backed up for 2-4 weeks, and there's no guarantee on delivery time if you buy on Amazon.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Jerry Porter June 17th, 2010 11:35 AM

Not sure Bruce, I just ordered mine straight off the site I listed above and had no problems. I took awhile to get here, but it did and I have had no problems with it.

Bruce S. Yarock June 17th, 2010 06:11 PM

How long did it take, jerry? I need another pretty soon. They don't answer their email, so I have no idea how long it will take.
Bruce Yarock

Michael Sims June 17th, 2010 08:04 PM

I bought my via ebay. Did a search for ND Fader in the camera section. Found it and had it in a few days.
Here's the link to see them

ND Fader items - Get great deals on Lenses Filters items on eBay.com!

Philip Hinkle June 22nd, 2010 07:52 PM

I have a question about the ND Fader filters. I have an outdoor shoot coming up that I'm thinking will need one of these. I noticed on the Lightcraft Work Shop page that the description said they shouldn't be used at a 90mm focal length or above. Does that mean they won't work well on my long zoom lens? I have a 70-210 zoom that I want to use it on. Will I run into problems.

It's for an outdoor wedding and my 7D is the used primarily for closeups and b-roll so 90% of my shooting will be zoomed shots.

Keith Moreau June 23rd, 2010 12:30 AM

I have 2 of the 77mm Fader Brand NDs. The first I got from LCW "Light Craft Workshop," from China, the second I got from Sobefoto from Florida. I got the "HD" version which supposedly has been improved from the original version to reduce the 'softness' that could occur when using long focal lengths. I paid quite a bit more for the "HD" version, I think it was in the $220 or so. I haven't really put it through it's paces with a good long lens, I've used it a bit on a superzoom Tamron at 300mm, and it didn't seem to soften the Tamron, which is kind of soft anyway. I have yet to try it much on my 70-200mm 2.8 which is a pretty sharp lens. I did use the older version Fader ND on the 70-200 and it did seem to soften the image a bit but nothing scientific about that observation.

One thing about these 'Faderfilter' Fader ND's is I just feel kind of like they are all grey market and there are knockoffs of these things all over the place. Maybe they are all made by the same factory in China, but in looking around, I just get the impression that a lot of them are not the 'original' brand of Fader NDs, but then again, maybe there was never an 'original brand.' The Sobefoto guys told me that a lot of their competitors sell imitation filters, but who knows. At least you can call them and talk to real people and they are in the U.S.

As far as the vignetting, the Fader brand (or the knockoffs) are pretty good at not doing this. I've used them with a 17 -55mm on my 7D without a problem, and with a 28mm on my 5D without a problem. Though the 77mm on one end, the front end is 82mm and it flares outward well. The problem sometimes is in the hood, if you use one. I use a collapsible rubber hood that has 3 'settings' and sometimes I'm in telephoto and forget to snap it back to 'wide' and I get vignetting but that's not the Fader ND's fault.

Bruce S. Yarock June 23rd, 2010 08:13 PM

Keith,
What does yours say on the side? I had been looking for another fader nd, but couldn't reach anyone from lightcraft Workshop on the phone. I found another comapny called "faderfilters.com" and they had phone numers of resellers. I tried the numbers for sobefoto, but they were both dissconected. I found another reseller in Ft Lauderdale and they wanted over $200 for what they claimed was the "new improved hd version".
Then I found another reseller for them down here and they said there was only one model, which says hd on it, and it cost me $134 plus tax and shipping. Mine says-
"77mm VAR HD ND By Fader Filters Made In Japan""
It came in an opaque plastic case. Does that sound like the same one you got?

It seems to work well,but doesn't look as beefy as the first one I got from Singh-Ray. I plan to do a side by side test with the a couple of lenses at various focal lengths and see if there is any difference. I still need a third one, so that for outdoors multi cam shoots I can have one on my 17-55, 70-200 and Tokina 11-16.

Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

Keith Moreau June 23rd, 2010 11:56 PM

Mine says exactly what yours says, except I paid $100 more for it, maybe I got suckered, maybe yours is a knock-off, thing is with these things, who knows? That's what I was saying about the 'Fader Filters' out there. Sobefoto has a problem with having a lot of numbers on their ebay lists that are just plain wrong or disconnected. I did manage to find a correct number buried in one of their pages, and that actually worked, and there are people, some of them seemingly nice and responsible, working there. However looks like they didn't correct the phone number problem for the faderfilters site.

The case mine came in was translucent white case, rather than opaque. However, no printed material, no shrink wrapping, no packaging indicating a brand of any kind. The case was exactly the same as the one I got from LCW in November 2009. The only difference was the inserted foam. The LCW foam was a bit denser than the new "HD" foam.

Hope this helps. I think somebody needs to contact FaderFilters.com so they can get their act together. And also, what ever happened to Light Craft Workshop? I thought they were the only distributors? Is a Fader ND from Faderfilters.com the knockoff? The people at Sobefoto told me that the only genuine Fader NDs are made in Japan, and that those that don't specify "Made in Japan" are the knockoffs.

I guess whatever these are, if they work well, that's the main thing.

Let us know how your testing goes. I may do some tests as well.