DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   good lense for flare (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/482386-good-lense-flare.html)

Andy Nitchman July 25th, 2010 04:04 PM

good lense for flare

any recommendations for a lens that has an attractive easily achieved flare?

i'm guessing some older manual lenses might work... it seems like most modern lens flare really oddly.

Christer Dahl July 26th, 2010 01:28 AM

Just add it in your software you are using for editing. Most of them have that effect.

Steve Nelson July 28th, 2010 03:41 PM

+1

Here's my favorite for this:

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

Chris M. Watson July 28th, 2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christer Dahl (Post 1552029)
Just add it in your software you are using for editing. Most of them have that effect.

Just not the same when added in post. It doesn't look as organic as it does when captured live. In answer to the OP question, older manual focus lenses should provide some pretty cool lens flares. Just shoot into a light source and you're all set!

Ray Bell July 28th, 2010 07:56 PM

For good composition, use natural organic light
For great composition, control organic light in post, you can do wonders with post lighting...

here are some examples... and yes, Video Copilot is also a great product and also Knoll Light Factory...

some examples..

Red Giant Software: Knoll Light Factory Pro 2.5 - Examples

Ryan Mast July 28th, 2010 08:47 PM

Oh hey, Andy...

I have two old LOMOs I use when I need gritty flare goodness. Shot most of this video with a 50mm LOMO on my T2i:

YouTube - Ring The Keys

I think we're friends on Facebook? Hit me up if you want to try mine sometime. :)

Sam Tansey July 29th, 2010 02:57 AM

18-55 mk1 kit lens seems to flare readily.

Steve Nelson July 30th, 2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 1553121)
For good composition, use natural organic light
For great composition, control organic light in post, you can do wonders with post lighting...

here are some examples... and yes, Video Copilot is also a great product and also Knoll Light Factory...

some examples..

Red Giant Software: Knoll Light Factory Pro 2.5 - Examples

Exactly! I use Optical Flares typically by creating a mask on a natural light source like a reflection, the sun, headlights etc. then track that and apply Optical Flares to that light source. It ends up looking very natural and can be indistinguishable from the real thing. Very easy to do and the "less is more" philosophy applies usually.

Shaun Roemich July 30th, 2010 03:08 PM

Another thing to keep in mind with organic lens flares is that the number of actual FLARES that appear in your footage coincides with the number of individual lens elements inside the lens - therefore zoom lenses SHOULD always have more iterations than primes. Something to keep in mind if you only want 2 or 3 individual flares and all you have are zooms...