DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Magic Lantern demo on the 550D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/482742-magic-lantern-demo-550d.html)

Tramm Hudson July 31st, 2010 09:11 PM

Magic Lantern demo on the 550D

I am very proud to announce that we have started support for the Canon 550D / T2i in a branch of the Magic Lantern tree. Thanks to the assistance of arm.indy and an anonymous contributor, we were able to sign an initial Magic Lantern firmware image and port the existing code to work with the version 1.0.8 firmware in the 550D.

The first version will have audio meters, lens data and maybe manual audio gain plus monitoring on the A/V jack. I haven't found the liveview video ram device yet, so zebra stripes and histograms won't work for a little while. There might also not be a menuing system initially since there are no "spare" buttons on the 550D in movie mode and we still do not have a way to integrate with Canon's menus.

Even more than the 5D Mark II, I'm very excited about the possibilities that these cameras open up for independent film makers. Such inexpensive cameras, with such high quality sensors and lenses, coupled with good on-camera audio and film making features, are an unbeatable combination for everyone who wants to make a movie.

Chris Barcellos July 31st, 2010 09:15 PM

Whoa... nice to see it up and running Tramm.... !!!

Andy Wilkinson July 31st, 2010 09:41 PM

Very nice work Tramm! Now I'm thinking I need a 550D (as well as the 7D that I already have!)

Ian Holb July 31st, 2010 09:55 PM

I have three T2is, so this news is phenomenal!

Arman Bohn July 31st, 2010 09:58 PM

OHHHHHH MAN .... this is awesome!!! I ran CHDK on my A640 and can't wait to see how this turns out.

Joel Peregrine July 31st, 2010 10:28 PM

Thank you!!!!

Matthias Krause August 1st, 2010 01:00 AM

Amazing! It will be like getting a new camera. And it will save me some serious syncing headache. Thank you so much!

Ivan Gomez Villafane August 1st, 2010 05:54 AM

Thank you!!!

Bryan McCullough August 1st, 2010 06:46 AM

Sweet.

My T2i has been gathering a bit of dust since I got a 7D, this will make me pull it out again! Looking forward to the release.

Jef Gibbons August 1st, 2010 10:45 AM

This is fantastic!!! Can't wait!

Slavomir Valko August 1st, 2010 12:14 PM

thank you !!!

Tramm Hudson August 1st, 2010 12:58 PM

Beta installation

I've posted installation instructions for those who are willing to risk it. It is a little more complicated than the 5D installation and there aren't that many features yet (only audio meters and lens data), but you're welcome to give it a try.

EDIT -- it isn't even close to beta yet; this is really pre-alpha level.

Michael Rockmore August 1st, 2010 06:53 PM

Thanks Tramm,
I use the 550D as a B camera along with an EX3. Although the resolution is higher in the EX3 I'm finding the 550D picture quality is better with the larger sensor so your upgrade will really help moving it into the A camera roll. I also got a call on a shoot in the middle of the night for a 6am shoot, and didn't have time to pickup the Sony. This time the audio was not critical, but the next call may be. I look forward to giving your upgrade a shot!

Jarda Bar August 2nd, 2010 04:33 AM

It's amazing to hear about that! Thank you very much. I would like to see beta version soon.

Jonathan Palfrey August 2nd, 2010 05:03 PM

Wow big news, cant wait!