DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Shooting outdoors.. LCD is so worthless! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/484012-shooting-outdoors-lcd-so-worthless.html)

John C. Chu August 29th, 2010 03:37 PM

Shooting outdoors.. LCD is so worthless!

It is just so frustrating not being able to view the LCD in bright sunlight.

And seeing the prices of these aftermarket LCD viewfinder hoods doesn't help matters.

I would love to see a video optimized DSLR from Canon with no mirror and in place of a optical viewfinder/prism--install an electronic viewfinder.

Of course, the Panasonic GH series 4/3 cams already do that, but for the added cost on the camera itself, it would be so much cheaper. C'mon Canon, we need this!

Robert Turchick August 29th, 2010 04:07 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696238-REG/Delkin_Devices_DC550D_P_Pop_Up_Shade_Snap_On_Pro.html

$20 isn't that much.

I prefer the Zacuto Z-finder but it's a different animal and works incredibly well outdoors when I shoulder mount the t2i.

Don Rumsey August 29th, 2010 10:23 PM

I'm in the same boat. Did some outdoor shooting over the weekend. Get it home on the Mac and PRESTO! Out of focus...cuz I'm practically blind and couldn't see the LCD well enough. I will have a viewfinder of some sort this week or next.

Martyn Hull August 30th, 2010 01:18 AM

Yes the hoodman loupe i bought was useless as far as fixing it to my 550 went[returned it]so i too am struggling in bright light,i doubt the cheap delkin shade can be bought here.

Checked and they are but i am cautious after previous purchases, this is cheaper though.

Jon Rule August 30th, 2010 05:29 AM

I have a Delkin shade and they are ok, better than nothing. The main problem is that although it keeps the light off the screen its still possibly shining in your eyes.

I looked at the Zacuto Z-finders but they are far too expensive for what I needed, in the end I got a LCDVF and it is fantastic. The magnetic fitting is very good, nice and stable but very easy to remove also. The screen looks very sharp. The only downside is the eye piece can mist up, but I'm sure I can find something to cure that.

Martyn Hull August 30th, 2010 10:18 AM

could you show me a link of the LCDVF you have, and what percent would you say the delkin shade helps filming in bright light.Thanks if you can

Sam Kanter August 30th, 2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Hull (Post 1564065)
Yes the hoodman loupe i bought was useless as far as fixing it to my 550 went[returned it]so i too am struggling in bright light,i doubt the cheap delkin shade can be bought here.

Checked and they are but i am cautious after previous purchases, this is cheaper though.

Hoodcrane works very well, or the Redrock accessory.Either will easily attach the Hoodman loupe to your camera for perfect focus in bright outdoor conditions.

Jon Rule August 30th, 2010 02:36 PM

The LCDVF is here - LCDVF

I bought it in the UK from here - Professional Cameras, Professional Advice, Professional Service - LCDVF 3/2 - Loupe for 550D / T2i

More expensive than the Delkin shade but much more effective. Its hard to say how effective the shade is, not much help for focusing but shades it enough for framing.

John C. Chu August 30th, 2010 07:28 PM

Thanks for the links.. the LCDVF is pretty awesome looking and seem like it would function the best.

I'm also thinking that a do-it-yourself paper bellows hood might be a solution too.

Have to figure out how to fold one, or buy one pre-made.

Cole McDonald August 30th, 2010 09:34 PM

thick black cloth velcroed to the VF or home made hood would work as well. It's a time tested method of seeing dim images in bright sunlight.

Martyn Hull August 31st, 2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Rule (Post 1564311)
The LCDVF is here - LCDVF

I bought it in the UK from here - Professional Cameras, Professional Advice, Professional Service - LCDVF 3/2 - Loupe for 550D / T2i

More expensive than the Delkin shade but much more effective. Its hard to say how effective the shade is, not much help for focusing but shades it enough for framing.

Thanks it looks great but does it have focus adjustment,i use reading glasses and cant see in focus closer than 30cm,if not this where i may be stuck with the shade, i have contacted the makers and no doubt they will let me know as well,but idealy this is what i want one that fixes to the camera so easily but can be used with correction.

Nigel Barker August 31st, 2010 02:00 AM

The LCDVF has no dioptre adjustment (unlike the Z-finder or Hoodman). I am pretty short-sighted & found it almost impossible to use either with or without my glasses or contact lenses. However the upside of being as short-sighted as me is that when I take my glass off I can focus on objects as close as 10cm(4") so can see the screen well without a loupe when I get that close. With the moderate correction given by reading glasses you should be fine with the LCDVF & it is a well made piece of equipment although do order direct from LCDVF or one of their authorised distributers as cheap knock-offs have already appeared on eBay at half the price of the genuine article.

Martyn Hull August 31st, 2010 02:15 AM

realy doubt it because without glasses i have no focus until 4mtrs, with my glasses focus starts at 28cm, i am going to ring the camera firm but i fear the worst, if so this is a shame as the hoodman had good adjustment but no decent way of fixing.
Edit no its no good for me but they say there may one coming out with similar fixing to the camera and with eyesight adjustment.

Nigel Barker August 31st, 2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn Hull (Post 1564499)
realy doubt it because without glasses i have no focus until 4mtrs, with my glasses focus starts at 28cm,

That is a bit more severe than normal age related long sightedness. My wife complains that there is no problem with her eyes it's just that her arms are not long enough now:-)

Martyn Hull August 31st, 2010 10:33 AM

The opticion told me very few middle aged and older people can see close up,my wife is younger than me and her eyes wont focus close up with her reading glasses worse without ,are we unlucky can people realy get good in focus vision close up i cant remember how mine have changed.